Wakefield Nest near the Straight of Georgia, Sechelt BC, 2020

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

stim
Content Provider

Wakefield Nest near the Straight of Georgia, Sechelt BC, 2020

Post by stim » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:16 pm

This nest was built in 2014 by an eagle couple who had nested in a nearby tree for years. The nest tree sits on private property almost at the corner of Wakefield Rd. and Hwy 1 going west out of Sechelt. Upside on the NW corner. It can be seen from my friend's property on Wakefield Rd, especially her living room window! Lucky lady.
I have tried unsuccessfully to find the nest tree from the beach, from the side of the highway, from Wakefield Rd near the corner.
The last 2 seasons they raised 1 youngster who left the nest in June, early by our standards here. Every year my friend has been watching them they have had 1 youngster fledge.

2018 They raised and successfully fledged a pretty big girl, PBG, named by my friend Holly. Fledging here tends to happen early in the season. PBG fledged June 30, 2018!
2019 Another early fledge, mid June. I had heard more than one eaglet calling early in the season but Holly witnessed 1 having fledged.

If you drop by here welcome, and please feel free to post any pictures or eagle sightings you get.

stim
Content Provider

Re: Wakefield Nest near the Straight of Georgia, Sechelt BC, 2020

Post by stim » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:30 pm

Reserved

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:34 pm

Holly informed me in October that the first adult returned to the nest with a juvie on Thanksgiving, which was Oct 14. Then on Oct 19 she found 2 adults busy nestorating. Let the season begin! :thumlft:

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:22 pm

Holly has given me permission to quote her reaction to current eagle activity. Sounds like they are doing what they should be this time of year. Thanks Holly! It all sounds promising.

Re: eagles... my pair is very vocal, but otherwise very boring. They yak and talk; flit and fly; scold and harangue, but otherwise seem very content and happy! They do sit, one at a time, on their branch (veranda) such cuties. They are such good parents and will, hopefully, produce more happy, healthy offspring this year.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:03 pm

Fund Drive for Hard Drives

Good afternoon, everyone! I have just learned that we do not have the hard drives we need to record our cams as we approach little chick time - and we do not have the funds necessary to buy them.

These are the high resolution drives that are connected directly to the cams at the site, making it possible to record high quality videos of events at the nests - and we usually have them up and running before the eggs are laid. As you know, we already have eggs at three of our four nests, and they are likely any day now at the fourth nest - so time is of the essence.

Our tech person Ken is estimating that it will cost about $7000 to buy the high quality, high capacity drives needed for our 9 cams, and while we are keeping up with our regular monthly expenses, we don't have the extra money needed to buy and install the hard drives.

I know this is a hard time financially for many of us, with many businesses closed - but it may also be a time when some of us are staying home and watching the eagles after cancelling planned trips or dinners out - and I'd like to ask those who can to contribute towards these hard drives.

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:06 pm

It sounds like the month of March has been a disturbing time at this nest. On March 3 Holly noticed lots of aerial flying, very low swooping and eagle talk. She questioning if there might be a 3rd adult present. March 9 nest building was going on.
March 17 she mentioned the "set to the other day, big "guy" in trees, blood on branches"! Then the next information was 2 parents on a "bulked up nest".
On March 21 she asserted that they were definitely nesting, "so regal and beautiful".
Almost a week later, March 27 she said she was swooped the week before by a big, gorgeous lady, about 20 feet up. There was a female interloper trying to steal the nest.
I hope that's the last of it and this couple can get down to serious brooding without having to defend their eggs/young/nest/ themselves.

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”