Mabel Rd/9th St nest on the Strait of Georgia, Sunshine Coast, Gibsons BC 2019-2020

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

stim
Content Provider

Mabel Rd/9th St nest on the Strait of Georgia, Sunshine Coast, Gibsons BC 2019-2020

Post by stim » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:51 pm

Welcome to our nest. It sits on private property between Mabel Rd and 9th St to the left off Gower Point Rd as you leave Gibsons. Please post any pictures or information you wish to share if you visit here.
As one leaves the Chaster Beach area towards Gibsons Mabel Rd is only the second street to the right along Gower Point Rd. The 2 territories could be side by side. I would say there is a good chance that the Larson Rd. nest territory could abut on the other side.
The nest can be seen from 9th St., Mabel Rd and along Ocean Beach Esplanade on the waterfront.
I was told by a neighbour who has lived there for 9 years that the nest was in use when she moved there.
2016...2 eaglets fledged
2017...2 eaglets to start but as of the end of June only 1 was observed, branching by the end of July with hardly any nest left in the tree. Sad
2018...2 eaglets seem to have died in the nest in June after confrontation between Ma and another female. It looks like a subadult looking female won Ma's territory, with still a bit of brown at the end of her tail as spied March 10 2019, now a new adult.
2019...The nest was active in March when tree felling took place in the lot next door and adjacent to our nest tree. Ma and Pa absconded. We don't know if they left eggs behind in the nest or if Ma had to lay them quickly elsewhere. They did show up back at this nest but did not lay here. Apparently on their return another couple fought with them in the nest. I don't know who won. Whomever did would make an appearance most days early in the day. Both arrived arrived back Oct 1 after their fishing trip north, loud and fat apparently. Hoping for a successful season this year. A friend who has a home that looks down on this nest says it doesn't look very solid inside, possibly from the in nest fight last spring.

stim
Content Provider

Re: Mabel Rd/9th St nest on the Strait of Georgia, Sunshine Coast, Gibsons BC 2019-2020

Post by stim » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:54 pm

Reserved

stim
Content Provider

Re: Mabel Rd/9th St nest on the Strait of Georgia, Sunshine Coast, Gibsons BC 2019-2020

Post by stim » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:55 pm

I visited this nest Sept 27 to find no eagles around. Apparently they returned Oct 1, fat and loud.
Picture of nest taken from the bottom of Mabel Rd area and activity on the water at the time. :D
3930.jpg
3936.jpg

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”