Please Post Your Questions Here

Welcome, hints for the new software, and a discussion of the transition
sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Please Post Your Questions Here

Post by sassyk » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:10 pm

Thanks Judy(jkr). Unfortunately it didn't work. I'm sure it's because my iPad is too old and I haven't updated the operating system. It's probably not worth it now; I'll just have to get a new one :D
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:12 am

gemini wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:03 am
Hi Sue,

No text required - I just posted two photos without text. I think the problem is you need to place your scap "inline". Place your cursor where you want your scap and click "place in line" next to where you added your file at the bottom of the post.

This may help better than my explanation! :)

viewtopic.php?p=159#p159
Thanks Gemini, that helped out perfectly! Guess if I read the instructions I would have known that. A little ADD so I don't read much. Learn as I go.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:29 am

You're welcome Sue! You are not the only one finding things a little different! And don't ask how long it took for me to get on track!

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:57 am

Looking around the forum and seeing members' user names below their avatars, I'm assuming the color coding has something to do with each group/title. If I am correct about this, I have to say that I certainly don't like the pink; I would much prefer a blue :)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:14 pm

sassyk wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:57 am
Looking around the forum and seeing members' user names below their avatars, I'm assuming the color coding has something to do with each group/title. If I am correct about this, I have to say that I certainly don't like the pink; I would much prefer a blue :)
You may be right, Kay - we picked the group colors before we switched from the generic light blue color scheme to this custom one that's more like the old forum, and I think it worked better there than it does here.

I may also make the green for Zoomers a bit darker - we do want people to be able to read the names, after all! :)

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:39 pm

Thanks JudyB that looks much better :thumlft:

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:36 pm

I just did "mark forums read," then refreshed my browser window, then went to Unread Topics and that was empty. When I tried New Posts, I got the 10 most recent posts - though I think sometimes I've had more than that.

I'll need to wait a bit for more folks to post before I can do any more testing.

And I agree it is different, and we're all trying to figure out some of these things.

jkr
Admin

Post by jkr » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:58 pm

Karen, the old - old forum is still on the WayBack Machine https://web.archive.org/web/20070118054 ... el.org:80/

EDIT --- apparently only the forum page is readable. Nothing else opens -- says it is not archived.
Judy (jkr) - member since 2006
Need Help ? Check our HELPFUL HINTS

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:10 pm

If you keep trying different dates, you can find some of the threads that you can read at archive.com - but it's not a quick fix as a rule.

jkr
Admin

Post by jkr » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:05 am

Would Ken have the backup copy of our original phpBB forum ? I am almost certain I recall Richard mentioning to me that he had it backed up somewhere on a hard drive .
Judy (jkr) - member since 2006
Need Help ? Check our HELPFUL HINTS

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:19 am

jkr wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:05 am
Would Ken have the backup copy of our original phpBB forum ? I am almost certain I recall Richard mentioning to me that he had it backed up somewhere on a hard drive .
Ken says it's safely stored, and that he knows we don't want to lose anything, ever. :)

Sandy

Post by Sandy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:03 am

Hi Judy

I was wondering about my previous posts. When I had to log in again to be activated it started at #1. Is that correct or did I do something incorrect when I logged in.
Stupid question I know but heh. Always need to know if everything is okay.

Thanks

Sandy

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:19 am

Hi Sandy - and that is correct. This is a totally new forum, linked to the other one only by our memories of the many eagles we've watched over the years.

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:45 pm

Judy.... I was told this" PNG " file was too big
I will send it by E-mail .. I dont know how big it is ..... it was a full scree capture on desk top.. and I can always converted it to JPEG

Thanks 'Bev

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:38 pm

JPG files are usually quite a bit smaller than PNG files - one of the reasons we didn't allow PNG files on the other forum.

I'd generally recommend that anyone who can easily convert to JPG and has time to do that (I know hatches don't wait while you open an editing program!) - use JPGs to save room on the server.

And if anyone can tell me how big a full screen PNG that won't allow you to attach it is - I'll make the size limit for attachments that big. :)

Return to “Welcome - and Helpful Hints!”