Hastings Street/PNE Nest, Vancouver - Seasons 2018-2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

Annemie
Content Provider

Re: Hastings Street/PNE Nest, Vancouver - 2018

Post by Annemie » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:12 pm

My eagle alarm Sugarplum lets me know everytime an eagle flies overhead.
She sits in front of my window and lets it rip when she sees an eagle.

Eagle Alarm.jpg
Because of my beautiful eagle alarm I see when the Hastings parent fly to their nest.
They fly to the nest daily and that is how I know the eaglets are looked after.
Hast eagle in flyed.jpg

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:21 pm

Stan and I went by the nest tree on Thursday the 26th.
and both Darla and Joey were sitting in the nest tree calling their parents.
It was a bit after 7 pm.
About 10 minutes later they decided to look for Ma and Pa, so they flew towards New Brighton Park together.

Hast. July 26,2018 a.JPG
Hast. July 26, b.JPG
Yesterday Stan, Sugarplum and I drove to New Brighton Park to see if we could the any of the Hastings eagle fam. but we did not see them. :dunno:

:bye 1:

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:21 pm

Yes she is beautiful thanks Karen.
Sugarplum goes everywhere with me and she has for over 20 years.
She is very smart and when she is tired or gets scared she goes under my t-shirt.
When I go to an eagles nest though she goes into a travel cage with a towel on top so she can not see the sky.
I attached the cage to my backpack so we can take her on our back.
So it depends where we go she will either be on my shoulder or in her travel cage.
She really has a need to go out, just as much as a dog wants to go out.
She is pretty special. :rh:

vkahri

Post by vkahri » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:35 am

Saturday, July 28 evening: While walking along Hastings Street I heard the eaglets making lots of noise on top of the circuswest building by the Momji Japanese garden. The commotion stopped by the time I got there and I couldn't see what was going on, but one parent flew from the roof to the pond with a seagull following. I wonder if the parents had fed the eaglets on the roof.

Mom and one eaglet flew from circuswest thru the garden to the fir tree west of the blue booth. The second eaglet landed in the nearby tree east of the booth. Mom and one eaglet circled again and landed in the same trees.

I went to the pond and saw a parent eagle fly away just as I arrived. A guy told me it had been sitting on the pond log for 15 minutes (while I was watching the other eagles). I assume it was the dad. He's been seen there several times before at sunset.

Nice to see the eagles doing well and communicating.

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:30 pm

karenbills wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:33 am
Well that's great that you've never lost Sugarplum, Annemie. I know someone who lost a bird outside.

Vicki - Thanks for the report on the PNE eagles. Glad they are still here.
Thanks Karen.
Karen unfortunately I know a lot of people that lost their birds. I hear those stories all the time.
People always say to me: '' I used to have a bird, but it got eaten by the cat'' or
..."it got stepped on'' or " I left the cage open and it flew out the window" etc.
It is mostly carelessness, that is why they lose their birds.
I clip sugarplum's flight feathers so that she can just fly enough to save herself should something is happen.
Exotic birds do not belong with people and in cages.
My bird is a rescue and was suffering from separation anxiety.
Anyway that is another story.

Vicki you are welcome.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:30 pm

Great news still about our youngsters this year and also about Sugar Plum still being your eagle alarm Annemie! How lucky you are. This nest is obviously special to many. :grhug:

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:22 am

vkahri wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:35 am
Saturday, July 28 evening: While walking along Hastings Street I heard the eaglets making lots of noise on top of the circuswest building by the Momji Japanese garden. The commotion stopped by the time I got there and I couldn't see what was going on, but one parent flew from the roof to the pond with a seagull following. I wonder if the parents had fed the eaglets on the roof.

Mom and one eaglet flew from circuswest thru the garden to the fir tree west of the blue booth. The second eaglet landed in the nearby tree east of the booth. Mom and one eaglet circled again and landed in the same trees.

I went to the pond and saw a parent eagle fly away just as I arrived. A guy told me it had been sitting on the pond log for 15 minutes (while I was watching the other eagles). I assume it was the dad. He's been seen there several times before at sunset.

Nice to see the eagles doing well and communicating.

:wave:
Thank you Vicki for your report. I would not be surprised if Ma Hastings is feeding the eaglets on the roof.

Stan and I went to the nest last night and saw one eaglet sitting on a fir tree by the entrance.
It was falling asleep. It looked peaceful and well fed. It never once complained and we were there for one hour.
When it was getting dark we left.
Unfortunately we never saw the rest of the fam. come home.
I guess the evening was so nice, that they came home quite late after a fun day by the water.

Thanks for stopping by Stim.
Yes Stim it is very nice that the Hastings eaglets are sticking around. :love:

vkahri

Post by vkahri » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:36 pm

Thursday, August 2: I saw the eaglets this morning and they're doing great. At 8:40am, I saw the first one on the power pole at the north end of the pond. I followed him to the race track and met up with the other eaglet who was on the grandstand roof. They both hung out on the rooftop watching the horses exercise, then wheeeted loudly when mom showed up at 9am. Shortly after, one eaglet flew north toward Burrard Inlet. They appear to be communicating well and I assume the parents feed them on the rooftops, as I don't see any recent fresh prey falling from the nest tree. I'm so happy for them, they've both been flying for 18 days now (since July 15).

steamer
Content Provider

Post by steamer » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:39 pm

One of the Hastings/PNE eaglets was circling over our place at 11.30 AM. After it gained height with 2 seagulls in tow it decided to make for the direction of the nest location :Cool:

vkahri

Post by vkahri » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:16 pm

Pa eagle (or Ma?) landed on the pond log again at dusk around 9pm tonight to relax and drink water. The ducks alerted me with their squawking. I saw a new whole baby seagull under the nest tree, so I guess the eaglets must still dine above. I didn't see the eaglets tonight.

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:22 pm

:wave:

We saw one eaglet fly in while we were sitting at the lake with the ducks yesterday afternoon.
It flew low and exactly over our heads after doing a couple of rounds over Hastings park lake.
Then is sat down on Pa's lookout branch at a tree near the exit of the park unto Hastings St.
It was sitting quiet the whole time we were there and we were there for over an hour.

Hast. eaglet a.jpg
Hast. eaglet b.jpg
Hast. eaglet c.jpg

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:50 pm

Hast. eaglet d.jpg
Hast. eaglet e.jpg

A couple of days ago I saw one of the Hastings eaglet circling super high around the park and my house.
A few seconds later the rest of the Hastings eagle fam. ie Ma, Pa and the other eaglet came flying in but quite low.
The eaglet that flew impressively high in the sky came flying down to follow it's fam. into the park.
They flew to their home tree.
Needless to say I was :love:
and I felt thrilled and a high sense of happiness knowing that yes, also eagles can have a tight bound fam. contra to what I have been told.
Also, Stan and I have seen what Vicki saw and that is that the eaglets seem to be fed on a fairly flat roof most of the time;
what a good decision.
We saw the baby gull under the tree though, uneaten and so so young and cute. :(

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:22 pm

Looks like our babies are being well cared for. I'm so glad they are staying around getting their bearings. :rh: :rh:

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:02 pm

Yes Stim, the Hastings eagles have always been good parents for sure.
It is a lot of fun having the little ones still around so they can learn hunting skills from their parents that they will need on their trip up north. :rh: :rh:

vkahri

Post by vkahri » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:47 am

Hi Annemie and Stan. Have you seen the eagles since August 4? I've frequently checked the nest area, pond & racetrack and haven't seen them for a week.

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”