Reservoir Road Nest in Sechelt on the Sunshine Coast BC Season 2017-2018

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Reservoir Road Nest in Sechelt on the Sunshine Coast BC Season 2017-2018

Post by heatherj » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:41 pm

Great pictures and report Karen! Thanks for sharing :)

I seem to remember from previous years that these eagles were a bit less used to people than some of the others in the area.
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:46 pm

Stopped by again today and was saddened to see even more plastic hanging from the tree branches :-( I did also see lots of feathers on the road below the nest though that appear to be from a gull. The bag that is caught up on the nest was blowing back towards the nest so was hard to see the eaglet, but he (or she) did make a brief appearance.

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

043-1.jpg
Eaglet looking out of the nest, above the blowing plastic bag :-(
037-1.jpg
Turning around in the nest, not a great picture but shows how large the eaglet is now
026.jpg
Lots of feathers on the road below the nest, including these ones

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:22 pm

I stopped there this morning and saw no eagles but I haven't yet looked at my pictures. I'm so glad you saw one so recently. I saw plastic flying from different parts of the nest tree, one on the nest that I figured could have been blocking view of our eaglet. Even plastic waving from a nearby tree!
Thank you for the reassurance Karen! I'll be working on yesterday's then todays pics as soon as I can.

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:30 pm

It certainly is sad to see all this plastic. :angry: Makes it difficult to see a let....
Waiting for your pictures Sandra.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:01 pm

My return on Wednesday, July 4 with Angela showed so much plastic that to me an eaglet was hidden. The picture even shows plastic blowing in the tree branch at the right edge of the pic. Angela however was able to see an eaglet looking at her over the branch like you have posted Karen. I could see the odd bit of movement in what must have been the nest, behind the top piece of plastic, but that's all.
1997.jpg

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:52 pm

I stopped by the nest yesterday and when I arrived saw the back and tail of an adult, which appeared to be eating, in the nest. Plus, the sound of an eaglet begging to be fed. I waited around for a while hoping to see the eaglet and was happy to see that the large plastic bag that had been hanging over the nest is now gone.

The eaglet did eventually jump up onto a branch just above the nest, but I could still hear an eaglet and it wasn't the one on the branch ? The adult left and I waited hoping to see a second eaglet. A few minutes later, the second eaglet appeared and jumped up onto the branch just above the nest too. Yay! Two eaglets.

Then just as I was about to leave I noticed a bit of movement in-between the two eaglets, so stopped, zoomed in and lo and behold a third eaglet appeared ! ! ! There are three eaglets in this small nest. It's the first time I've seen three eaglets in a nest so I was pretty excited and actually couldn't believe my eyes at first :-)

My pictures from yesterday were quite blurry and dark due to the angle of the sun so I went back this morning. At first, I didn't see any eaglets but then they started to appear in the same area of the nest I saw them yesterday, looking out. Which turns out to be the direction the adults fly in from with food. Two of the eaglets are branching and exercising their wings frequently while the third has remained in the nest both times. While I was there today one of the adults flew in with a small fish and dropped it off, from where I was standing it appeared that one eaglet must have grabbed it because the other two kept calling for a few minutes and weren't eating. I had to leave before another food drop, but hopefully as they have come this far they are receiving enough food.

There was another bit of excitement while I was at the nest today, yesterday was seeing the three eaglets, today I turned around to see a black bear about 25' away casually ambling along the road towards me ! I don't think he saw me until I moved and when I yelled to 'get going' and clapped my hands, he disappeared into the bush. All in all, an exciting nest to visit these past two days.

Karen H

106-1.jpg
All three eaglets waiting for breakfast
181-1.jpg
The eaglet that appears to be further along re branching, this perch is almost overhanging the road
207-1.jpg
A few of the feathers I found on the road below the nest

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:01 pm

A few more pictures from today . . . .

Karen H

164-1.jpg
One of the eaglets exercising his/her wings, a bit hard to see because of the sun but both feet (talons) are off the branch :-)
309-1.jpg
Parent pausing briefly beside one of the eaglets after dropping off a fish, only stayed for about minute before heading off again.
062-1.jpg
Turned around to see this black bear about 25' behind me casually ambling along the road.

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:18 pm

Wow! Thats great news! 3 eaglets - Brilliant!

And great pics Karen!

:woohoo:
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:48 am

Wonderful news KarenH since I started the Sunshine Coast eagles on HWF I have never seen three eaglets in a nest here so this is a first congratulations for spotting them Karen! :woohoo:

I'm also glad the bear left........
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:26 pm

We are all obviously extremely pleased that you made this discovery Karen! You also got very good pictures considering the ability to do so here. Actually, they are good pictures no matter where they came from! :thumlft:
I had to drive up on my way into Sechelt yesterday to see our trio. Sadly, even though it was the time of day of your discovery I could see nothing in the nest. Luckily I did see movement hidden by the greenery of the tree so walked downhill for a better look. One of the eaglets, the one with the bigger beak I think, was wingsercising on a branch near the nest. I must go through them again to see if any are worth posting. So much greenery. This is the one I thought was shareable. One nice sized eaglet.
2175.jpg
Marg thank you for confirming this is our first nest of 3 youngsters since I joined you in 2010. I couldn't think of one but was going to check with you.
Also, no bear this time. There was enough traffic going up and down the road, blowing dry dirt around that it may have been deterred had it been around.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:03 pm

My visit here on July 26, last Thurs, found at least 2 eaglets posing for pictures.
The first one is on a branch just outside of the nest.
2300.jpg
This eaglet would have been able to simply walk along the thick branch from the nest. Or it could have done its wing flap jumping. :D
2312.jpg
2314.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:07 pm

It looked like debris from a meal of heron had been caught up in the tree. These parents keep amazing me with their feats of food deliveries up the hill from the beach! Clicking on the photo will make it more identifiable.
2307.jpg

I returned again July 30 to no sights nor sounds of eagles.

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:10 pm

Great pictures and updates on the nest Sandra!

I stopped by the nest yesterday afternoon and it was eerily quiet, I didn't hear one call or cry from an eaglet and didn't see any eaglets or adults in or beside the nest. Or even in the area. At one point I thought I saw a bit of movement in the nest but it was very brief and may just have been a bit of greenery moving in the breeze. I was surprised that the youngest eaglet may have already fledged as the last time I was by I hadn't even seen it branching. Maybe there just wasn't room for all three to be perched and wing flapping at the same time :-)

While there this time I decided to have a look below the nest as it's the only one I check in on that isn't on private property. After going down a short embankment off the road it was apparent that a lot of birds were brought to the nest, there were lots of feathers which mainly looked like gull, pieces of wings and even a gull head, what looked like part of a fish skeleton along with lots of plastic and branches that have probably fallen from the nest over the years. Thankfully no eaglets were sitting on the ground :-)

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:47 pm

You are good stuff to get under that nest Karen! I'm glad you did without finding an eaglet. Number 3 could still be in the nest. I was surprised to see and hear it looking as if they had all gone. Will have to check it out again on a trip into Sechelt.

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:15 pm

Thanks for the updates Sandra and Karen. And for the great pictures!

Maybe the baby of the family is laying low and hopefully that means s/he has a full stomach and has no need for calling out :)

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”