Hastings Street/PNE Nest, Vancouver - Seasons 2018-2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

vkahri

Re: Hastings Street/PNE Nest, Vancouver - 2018

Post by vkahri » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:30 pm

Thanks Annemie and Stan for keeping everyone up to date, it's a pleasure seeing you at the pond while watching the eagles. I will be posting photos on Wednesday, July 18. Sorry for the delay. I have lots of photos to narrow down (July 12-15) as I was using burst shots and won't be back on the computer until Wednesday. It's so exciting that both eaglets are safe, flying around and able to return to the nest tree for food.

Diana and Mike (from Hancock), Angela (from Owl) and I celebrated the eaglet flights by the west pond trail with a coffee and eagle talk early Sunday morning (July 15) as eaglet2 watched from the tree above us. Meanwhile, eaglet1 was hanging out near the nest tree. As I was leaving the pond, Mom dropped food in the nest tree and eaglet1 flew over to eat. Then I saw both eaglets in the nest tree on Sunday evening. At least the disappearing nest is big enough to hold food. :huggie:

steamer
Content Provider

Post by steamer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:45 am

vkahri wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:30 pm
Thanks Annemie and Stan for keeping everyone up to date, it's a pleasure seeing you at the pond while watching the eagles. I will be posting photos on Wednesday, July 18. Sorry for the delay. I have lots of photos to narrow down (July 12-15) as I was using burst shots and won't be back on the computer until Wednesday. It's so exciting that both eaglets are safe, flying around and able to return to the nest tree for food.

Diana and Mike (from Hancock), Angela (from Owl) and I celebrated the eaglet flights by the west pond trail with a coffee and eagle talk early Sunday morning (July 15) as eaglet2 watched from the tree above us. Meanwhile, eaglet1 was hanging out near the nest tree. As I was leaving the pond, Mom dropped food in the nest tree and eaglet1 flew over to eat. Then I saw both eaglets in the nest tree on Sunday evening. At least the disappearing nest is big enough to hold food. :huggie:

Our pleasure Vicki to be involved in the "hunt" :)

As of today both are still up in the general nest area. When I first arrived one was way up on a branch above what remains of the nest. When I left both were back around the small patch of nest :Cool:

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:36 pm

Marvellous news that both youngsters are now flying well enough to be high in their nest tree, perching together, near food drops. Thank you for the ongoing reassurance! :grhug:

vkahri

Post by vkahri » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:06 pm

Here's my eagle photo observations from July 13 to July 16 coming up. Happy viewing!
Attachments
140e July 13 7pm, Oh oh nest broke again.jpg
July 13, 7pm Oh oh the nest broke again
141e July 13 Darla watches mom evaluate the situation.jpg
Eaglet2 watches mom evaluate the situation
142a Mom looks very concerned.jpg
Mom looks very concerned
Last edited by vkahri on Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vkahri

Post by vkahri » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:10 pm

July 13 continued. Eaglet1 has fallen down the tree again. Further down this time.
Attachments
142b Mom looks for Joey.jpg
Mom looks for Eaglet1.
144e 745 Joey cries out from far below, here I am.jpg
Eaglet1 cries out from below
148 Joey ready to jump up to the next branch.jpg
Eaglet1 ready to jump up to the next branch.
Last edited by vkahri on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

vkahri

Post by vkahri » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:12 pm

July 13 continued.
Attachments
150e He made it.jpg
He made it up to the next branch
151e Ready for the next jump.jpg
Ready for the next jump
152e He made it with a crash landing.jpg
He made it with a crash landing.

vkahri

Post by vkahri » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:21 pm

July 14 1pm, Bad news, no nest and the eagles are missing from the tree.

I saw my friend at the pond and she mentioned that she saw Eaglet2 walking on the westside pond path at 10:30am and gave me the attached photo. We searched the pond ravine and saw mom hidden by the pond, so we knew Eaglet2 was nearby but could not find her.
Attachments
157 My friend saw Darla walking on the westside pond path at 1030am and sent me this photo.jpg
My friend saw Eaglet2 walking on the westside pond path at 1030am and sent me this photo
157 My friend saw Darla walking on the westside pond path at 1030am and sent me this photo.jpg (204.78 KiB) Viewed 4507 times
158 9pm We searched the pond ravine and saw mom hidden by the pond, so we knew Darla was nearby but could not find her.jpg
We searched the pond ravine and saw mom hidden by the pond, so we knew Eaglet2 was nearby but could not find her.
159e July 14, Yay we found Joey.jpg
Yay we found Eaglet1.

vkahri

Post by vkahri » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:30 pm

July 14 continued, Eaglet1 has fledged!
Attachments
160 July 14 Joey has fledged and nearby, safe on the power pole.jpg
Eaglet1 has fledged and nearby, safe on the power pole.
162e Hi Joey.jpg
Hi Eaglet1.
164 Joey hears mom calling.jpg
Eaglet1 hears mom calling and flys away.

vkahri

Post by vkahri » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:32 pm

July 14 continued
Attachments
165e Mom waits for Joey at the nest tree.jpg
Mom waits for Eaglet1 at the nest tree.
168e Joey hangs out with mom after eating the food she delivered.jpg
Eaglet1 hangs out with mom
169e Joey enjoys the sunset (683x1024).jpg
Eaglet1 enjoys the sunset
Last edited by vkahri on Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vkahri

Post by vkahri » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:43 pm

July 15. We searched for Eaglet2 again and found her at 7am. The first photo is of eaglet1 who I saw when I arrived.
Attachments
199 Jul 15, 630am Searching for Darla again,  Meanwhile Joeys high up near the nest tree.jpg
July 15, 630am Searching for Eaglet2 again. Meanwhile Eaglet1 is high up near the nest tree.
201 July 15 7am, Finally found Darla safely hiding in a ravine tree. We heard her rustle last night but.jpg
Finally found Eaglet2 at 7am, safely hiding in a ravine tree. We heard her rustle last night but did not see her thru all the branches.
202 July 15 8am Darla flew from the ravine to the west path by the pond.jpg
At almost 8am, Eaglet2 flew from the ravine to this tree at the west path by the pond after hearing Diana and Angela join me in the ravine.
Last edited by vkahri on Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

vkahri

Post by vkahri » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:00 pm

June 15 continued. Diana and Mike from Hancock and Angela from OWL had joined me early in the morning to search for eaglet2. We witnessed eaglet2's first high flight together when she flew from the ravine, to the center pond island, then quickly back to the fir tree at the west side of the pond where my friend saw her walking the day before. We celebrated with coffee and eagle stories while we watched eaglet2 from the bench below. Eaglet2 stayed in the tree for a long time. We called up Stan and Annemie. I returned at 7:30pm and saw both eaglets together in the nest tree.
Attachments
203 We were surprised that she was ready to fly.jpg
Another photo of Eaglet2 in the tree. We were surprised that she was ready to fly, as she was not as active as Eaglet1 in the nest tree.
204 Now looking confident and adventurous (1024x683).jpg
Eaglet2 now looks confident and adventurous
213 July 15, 730pm Joey and Darla reunited at the nest tree (1024x683).jpg
7:30pm The two eaglets reunited in the nest tree
Last edited by vkahri on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vkahri

Post by vkahri » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:17 pm

July 17, I saw the two eaglets in the nest tree again. I guess the remaining nest fragments are not enough to hold food, as I saw two whole baby seagulls below the tree, too bad. (I think they're seagulls, not sure)

July 18, One eaglet was in the nest tree, the other was three trees to the west and mom was by the nest tree then flew over to the tree near the blue booth. All trees are by each other on Hastings Street.
Attachments
214 I wonder if mom has enough nest material for food delivery (1024x683).jpg
July 15, not much nest material left. The other eaglet is close by, but not seen in this photo.
215 July 17 Two baby seagulls and a meaty item under the nest tree. (1024x768).jpg
July 17, two baby seagulls and a meaty item under the nest tree.

steamer
Content Provider

Post by steamer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:39 am

Very enjoyable selection of pictures Vicki :) :ty:

Unfortunate to see the uneaten prey :(

Last year was even worse when they was no nest left and the parents got food to "survivor" however they could. So much on the ground that went to waste :ohmy:

Yesterday I'm pretty sure I saw one of the Hastings/PNE eaglets a block from where I live flying in the sky....it's that time!

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:47 am

:wave: Hi Vicky

I just loooove those pictures. :ty:

steamer
Content Provider

Post by steamer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:26 pm

Both have fledged!....

One in the air when I arrived. Impressive flying but not so impressive landing. Not to worry as it recovered and made a nice landing high in one of the cottonwood branches across the street. Finally decided to get in the air again and headed due south till I could see it no more :hooray: :bravo:

When I came back across the street the other eaglet had arrived on the scene at the nest location. Nobody was there when I first arrived so it must have chosen another area to make its flights before checking in at the tree.

Oh nothing left of the nest at this point so it's a good time for these eaglets to "learn the ropes" :yes:

Update...… At 2.10 PM one of the Hastings eaglets flew directly over our place :Cool: Did some nice circles and headed back towards the location of the nest tree.

Update #2 Between 2.30 and 4.15 PM. What happens when your an eaglet spending your day flying around the neighborhood? You get very hungry and come home looking for some food.

Both eaglets have been at the nest location side by side for over a hour and half. Ma was up above and Dad showed up about 10 minutes ago empty handed. Pa got a nice warm welcome from Ma but we heard 2 VERY unhappy eaglets I'll tell you :angry: . Oh well {as the eagle parents say} ;)

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”