To store 'HWF Cams no longer active' discussion topics: Lafarge;
steamer
Content Provider

Re: Lafarge 2017/2018 Eagle Nest Discussion/Scaps/videos

Post by steamer » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:21 pm

Eastvan Girl wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:48 pm
Hi Everyone,
From my window I can see the eaglet still on a lower branch. The other eaglet is in the nest and an adult on a west branch - to me it seems like it's on an even lower branch than last night. I will walk over to the nest after dinner and check things out, and good to know I can OWL if things turn pear-shaped.
Annemie and I just came back and we spotted it too Eastvan Girl about 40 ft under the nest south east of the tree trunk right above some broken off large branches. Binoculars were a big help this time. Was pretty quiet and not in distress....which is good :yes:

Annemie took several photos so her pictures will be posted sometime later.

Your recent picture was a big help to focus in on where to look :Cool:

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:49 pm

steamer wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:21 pm
Eastvan Girl wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:48 pm
Hi Everyone,
From my window I can see the eaglet still on a lower branch. The other eaglet is in the nest and an adult on a west branch - to me it seems like it's on an even lower branch than last night. I will walk over to the nest after dinner and check things out, and good to know I can OWL if things turn pear-shaped.
Annemie and I just came back and we spotted it too Eastvan Girl about 40 ft under the nest south east of the tree trunk right above some broken off large branches. Binoculars were a big help this time. Was pretty quiet and not in distress....which is good :yes:

Annemie took several photos so her pictures will be posted sometime later.

Your recent picture was a big help to focus in on where to look :Cool:

Thank you both for the updates .. I am anxious to see your pictures Annemie .. keeping good thoughts for the precious eaglet! :luck: :rh:

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

JudiW

Post by JudiW » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:01 pm

What twins on which nest?
Annemie wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:32 am
JudiW wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:25 am
That's branching the eaglet will be fine unless it ends up on the ground, it will have racoons and skunks to deal with :ohmy: Okay is that what you call the Lafarge eaglets "the twins" Karen? or are the twins some other two eaglets say at the Delta nest or Harrison?
Good morning JudiW.

Karen posted that the '' twins '' are now called Apollo and Artemis.

Apollo and Artemis were two twins born by the king of the gods Zeus and Leto, a daughter of the Titans Coeus and Phoebe.
( I looked it up on Google) You can read about their story when you google it. :eag: :eag:
Have a nice day JudiW. :bye 1:

steamer
Content Provider

Post by steamer » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:26 pm

Apollo and Artemis are the names of the twins at the Pandora nest as Karen B. has indicated.

Hopefully the one that landed and is perched down below in the tree will find a way back to join its sibling above in the nest :luck:

JudiW

Post by JudiW » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:52 pm

Annemie wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:32 am
JudiW wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:25 am
That's branching the eaglet will be fine unless it ends up on the ground, it will have racoons and skunks to deal with :ohmy: Okay is that what you call the Lafarge eaglets "the twins" Karen? or are the twins some other two eaglets say at the Delta nest or Harrison?
Good morning JudiW.

Karen posted that the '' twins '' are now called Apollo and Artemis.

Apollo and Artemis were two twins born by the king of the gods Zeus and Leto, a daughter of the Titans Coeus and Phoebe.
( I looked it up on Google) You can read about their story when you google it. :eag: :eag:
Have a nice day JudiW. :bye 1:
You miss understand what I'm saying.....who are the twin eaglets not who are the gods twins, I know who they are I don't know what nest Karen is referring too? when she says the twins as the Lafarge eaglets 2018 are not twins.....Judi

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:57 pm

MONDAY, JULY 16, 2018

:bye 1:
Member since May 9, 2006

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:43 am

Hi JudiW :bye 1:

Karen was referring to the Lafarge eaglets! The Delta eaglets have already been named and there was only one eaglet at HM (which did not thrive) and it was named Chips and there were no eaglets at WR this year.

And yes, you are correct in saying " ..... the twins as the Lafarge eaglets 2018 are not twins."

In reality the 2018 pair of eaglets at Lafarge may not actually be twins! However, because they look so much alike and are difficult to tell apart and we, as observers, have had so much trouble distinguishing them, they have often been referred to as the "twins."

Therefore, it seemed fitting to name them after the twin gods Apollo and Artemis, indicating how much alike the eaglets were.

JudiW

Post by JudiW » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:54 am

Ok thank you I think those names are fitting for the Lafarge eaglets at the Pandora nest woohoo :woohoo: now they are named I and the regulars can continue to watch Apollo & Artemis fledge and have another successful season congrats Pa and Lady Lafarge......we love you and are so happy that this nest was successful in 2018.

Now ladies we need to get David and the Hancock Wildlife Foundation people to replace the cam at Lafarge and move it to the Pandora nest site for next season, do it when Pa and Lady follow the salmon runs to Campbell River....just a suggestion :love:
waiting to see if Apollo and Artemis fledge successfully......love all your hard work Annmie taking and posting captures of the Lafarge eagles from the ground :thumlft: and thanks to all our regulars who take captures and post from the ground and not a cam :thumlft: we need one :luck: :vid: :grhug:

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:41 am

:wave:

These pictures were made yesterday July 15th between 5:44 and 6 pm.
Thi kids were home alone.

Apollo just finished dinner up on the nest.
Laf. July 15,18 a.jpg
Now it is time to have some fun.
Laf. July 15,18 c.jpg

Laf. July 15,18 d.jpg

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:43 am

The tree belongs to Apollo.
Laf. July 15,18 e.jpg
Laf. July 15,18 f.jpg
Laf. July 15,18 g.jpg

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:52 am

Apollo flew to a branch where s(he) can see Artemis.

Can you see Artemis?
S(he) is in the picture but very well hidden. :mihihi:

Laf. July 15,18 h.jpg
Look closer!
Laf. July 15,18 i.jpg
Look closer!
There you are Artemis. :rh:
Laf. July 15,18 j.jpg

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:04 pm

Artemis is still sitting in the same spot where it was sitting in Eastvan girl's picture she made on July 14th.
That means Artemis has been sitting there for at least 22 hours. :(

Laf. July 15,18 k.jpg
Artemis was sitting quietly. I hope (s)he was fed as it was still 31 degrees C. while we were at the nest.

Thank you Karen for posting the names for the ''twins''.
I am glad you like the names JudiW. and thank you Gemini for clarifying everything.
Nice to see you here Irish Eyes and thanks Eastvan girl for your pictures.

We do need to check on Artemis today and if possible a few times to make sure Artemis has the strength to sit
on a branch for such a long time.
I have seen eaglets sitting on a branch for 3 days and then still falling to the ground on the 3rd day due to
tiredness.
We also have to make sure that Artemis is getting fed as it is the only way for that eaglet to get fluid and it is very hot again today.
:grhug:

As soon as I meet the new owners of the property the nest is on I will give them O.W.L.'s phone number and speak to them about a few other things they need to know. As for a camera on the nest JudyW. we would all love that and I see if anything can be done now that the new people moved in.

steamer
Content Provider

Post by steamer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:35 pm

Very good news to report! Both eaglets are back up in the nest location. One on a south east branch off the nest and the other to the northwest on a branch near Pa on his usual perch.

All is good for Apollo and Artemis again :)

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:04 pm

steamer wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:35 pm
Very good news to report! Both eaglets are back up in the nest location. One on a south east branch off the nest and the other to the northwest on a branch near Pa on his usual perch.

All is good for Apollo and Artemis again :)
Thanks steamer ..this made my day,. :cloud9: Congratulations Artemis . :hooray:

and thanks Annemie for the pictures also~ :rh:

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:16 pm

Annemie, unfortunately, it is more likely the matter of obtaining sponsorship or the equivalent in $$$ that will stop the process of having a camera on the Lafarge nest than it would be the property owner not giving permission!

Also, was there not some mention of the tree actually being on city property - something about the property line actually being on the other side of the tree I think? Or was I dreaming that?

Wonderful news about Artemis! And thanks again for the great pictures and reports Stan and Annemie!

Return to “Archive - HWF Cams No Longer Active”