Hastings Street/PNE Nest, Vancouver - Seasons 2018-2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

stim
Content Provider

Re: Hastings Street/PNE Nest, Vancouver - 2018

Post by stim » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:29 am

Such sad news yet again for this eagle couple and their eaglets. Thankfully both are safe and hopefully will get fed in the tree, fledge when ready. We had that happen here a few years ago. The parents fed the kids on their tree branches for about 2 weeks before they both fledged. One had started branching but I don't think the other had prior to the nest slipping away.
Marvellous spotting with pictures and the tale they tell. :grhug:

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:27 am

Good morning Vicky, Gemini, Stim, Steamer, Marg, Karen and all that love these eagles.

Thank you Vicky and Stan for all you have done. :grhug:
Nice pictures Vicky I really love your pictures, thanks so so much.

When Stan and I arrived at the nest we knew something was up as we heard both eaglets scream loudly.
Usually they were always quiet and content.
As we came closer we saw that most of the nest had fallen down.
That is the 4th year now that happened with at least three eaglets dying and two eaglets
ending up at O.W.L.'s. :cryhanky:

Ma was there checking out the nest.
Darla must have been sitting on a branch when the nest came down.
S/he was sitting on Ma's babiesitting branch like s/he had been for about a week now.
It was Joey the younger of the two that must have fallen down below with part of the nest while resting in the nest.
In this picture all three birds can be seen.
Hast. July 7th, a.jpg
Darla moved to another branch and Ma took a closer look at Joey down below.
Hast. July 7th, b.jpg
What are you doing down there, away from Ma little Joey?
Hast. July 7th, c.jpg

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:34 am

In this picture Pa arrived and is trying to get close to Joey while Ma is sitting above watching and cheering.
The eaglets can not be seen in this picture, they are hiding and are very good at it.
Joey must be behind the trunk of the tree next to Pa.
Hast. July 7th, d.jpg
Darla managed to sit on what is left over from the nest.
Hast. July 7th, e.jpg
Pa flew away again and little Joy is trying to catch a nap.
Hast. July 7th, f.jpg

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:40 am

Joey is trying to sleep.
Hast. July 7th, g.jpg
Joey woke up again and is crying out.
Hast. July 7th, h.jpg
Another attempt by Joey to get some sleep.
Hast. July 7th, i.jpg
We saw Pa flying to and fro several times.
Over the lake and then minutes later to the nest and so forth.
The Hastings eagle fam. seemed stressed.

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:46 am

Darla the eldest eagled seemed relaxed by now.

Hast. July 7th, j.jpg
The nest is now just a little platform but I don't know how secure it is.
Darla is looking at Joey.
Hast. July 7th, k.jpg
Joye, still sitting below the nest was having a hard time to get some rest and started to scream again.
Hast. July 7th, l.jpg

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:04 am

Little Joey not happy.

Hast. July 7th, m.jpg
Hast. July 7th, n.jpg
Darla and Joey were feeling unsettled.
Joey tried to climb higher, to get into what was left of the nest, but ended up
a few feed below the nest.
Hast. July 7th, o.jpg
I had to go home, than Stan came home a bit later to have supper and than Vicky took over the eaglet watch till late.
She took more pictures that she posted last night .
Thank you Stan and Vicky :grhug:

As Stan posted earlier, the eaglets managed to stay in the tree and were probably fed as they seem more content this morning.

Thank you Stim for your encouraging story.

We all will keep an eye on the lets.
Hopefully all will end well. :luck:

vkahri

Post by vkahri » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:20 pm

Sunday, July 8. I dropped by the pond at 10:30am today, stayed for an hour and met up with Diana and Mike. They were happy to see that the remaining nest material was holding up and still strong enough for mom to lay in.

Joey was flapping his wings and still on the lower branch. He's been on the branch since Friday, July 6.Hopefully he'll be able to fly off soon and find a comfortable spot to sleep. He looks adorable in the previous photos that Annemie posted.
Attachments
120e.jpg
Mom and Darla on the nest branch and Joey still on the branch below flapping his wings. Viewed from across Hastings Street. July 8.
121e.jpg
Darla.
123e.jpg
Mom now in the next tree distracting dive-bombing crows from the eaglets.
Last edited by vkahri on Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

steamer
Content Provider

Post by steamer » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:17 pm

I saw some amazing helicopter hovering by Joey about a hour and a half ago but it just can't get the high performance lift off to get up to Ma and Darla.

The look by Ma above overseeing the vocal action below was quite something to see in the binoculars.

I hope Joey has a safe night. I'll check one more time later :yes:

vkahri

Post by vkahri » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:43 pm

Just to clarify: Joey is the older eaglet. Darla, his younger sister was passively watching him flap his wings and hop around since June 15. That's probably how Joey ended up on the bottom branch on July 6.

During that time in June, Joey was eating on his own while mom was beak-feeding Darla. Although Darla's recently been hopping around and flapping her wings. I hear female eaglets are a bit larger than the males.

Last year the nest fell and one eaglet died about July 8. The other eaglet MC-Survivor had to balance on the branch without a nest until he fledged to nearby trees on July 11. Unfortunately mom dropped the food when she was feeding Survivor, as there was no nest to place it in. Survivor hung around in nearby trees until about August 7.

steamer
Content Provider

Post by steamer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:37 am

Going by size as seen in the pictures and during my own binocular observations the one up near the remaining nest is the larger eaglet. The smaller one is down below.

From now on I'll stick with larger or smaller eaglet Vicki in my observations to help cut down on any confusion. Or even better "up" or "below" to make it simple.

My only concern is for the smaller one {below} which appears to have come down with a large portion of the nest that hangs in a area underneath in lower branches from where the rest of the nest was once located. Had a good look yesterday in the binoculars to see how the nest came apart and where things ended up in the tree.

Heading over in a bit to see where things are at today :luck:

steamer
Content Provider

Post by steamer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:35 am

As of 9.40 AM "up" is on the end of Ma's favorite nest perch and "below" is again underneath on its usual spot perched out on a large branch. Both looked content and were quiet and no adults were about.

So far so good..... :luck:

steamer
Content Provider

Post by steamer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:24 pm

karenbills wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:55 am
When eaglets fledge they are larger than their parents, larger than they will every be in their life according to David Hancock. That's because their wing feathers are broader and longer to help them learn to fly. Then each year when they molt the feathers get a bit shorter and narrower. Females are 30% larger than males.

I was wondering why you have given them gender specific names. We usually don't do that because it's very hard to tell if one is larger than the other, etc. Even when there is a noticeable difference in size, one of them could be a small female and the other a large male. So without blood tests it is almost impossible to tell.

However I'm just happy to hear that the eaglets are doing well so far and doing lots of wingersizing getting ready to fly soon.
I'm just going to stick to "up" and "below" Karen. "Below" has proven over the last few days that it is not ready to fly. I have seen many attempts of it trying to get up to join the family but it just can't at this point.

Right now I'm just happy that everyone is still in the tree :yes:

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:38 pm

Hi Vicki, Karen, Steamer, Gemini, Stim, Marg and everyone that loves these eagles.

Stan and I went to the nest a few times last night just to make sure that the little eaglet below did not fall off it's perch
due to tiredness.
I have seen it before where one of the Hastings eaglet that lost its nest came down after the 3rd day.
As of yet all is well. :luck:

The pictures and the video that I will post now I made last evening July 8th.

The younger eaglet did not want to sit below what was left of the nest.
It tried really hard to find a way to get up to where the nest was.
It was flapping and crying and calling so much that even the crows took a front seat to watch the show.
Hast. July 8th, a.jpg
Eaglet was trying to fly up...
Hast. July 8th, b.jpg
Eaglet was trying to climb up...
Hast. July 8th, c.jpg

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:45 pm

Help.....
Hast. July 8th, d.jpg
HELP.....
Hast. July 8th, e.jpg
:announce: HELP.....
Hast. July 8th, f.jpg
The eaglet really tried so hard to fly but it just could not get off the branch. :faint:
I was afraid it would tire itself to much.

I tried to make a video but by the time I learned the setting, the show was over.
I think that it is still fun to watch:

https://youtu.be/Tp5GNPIcM3w

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:55 pm

Today Stan has gone by the nest first thing in the morning and also this afternoon,
There was a feeding session in the afternoon but only the one up top got the food as Pa dropped it onto what was left of the nest
Pa then took off.

We hope that the little one below will also be fed as Stan said it was pretty upset about not being able to get at the food.
Tonight we will do our final check of our eaglets.

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”