Marmot Road Bald Eagle Nest, Sechelt BC 2018

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
marg
Content Provider

Marmot Road Bald Eagle Nest, Sechelt BC 2018

Post by marg » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:03 am

Marmot Road Bald Eagle Nest, Sechelt BC is a New Nest for this thread.

We first saw this nest in 2007 when HWF lunch Bunch group came to visit me. We visited my friends house where my friends viewed an eagles' nest from a skylight in their living room (Earl & I also saw this when we were visiting). While we were in the driveway looking at the tree one of the eagles returned from its summer holiday (right on the date it usually returned), we were all very thrilled to witness this. It seems that they didn't use that nest for a while they possibly went further into Porpoise Bay provincial park to build a new nest. I have been in touch with a friend who now lives in the house and she told me she has seen them for a few years. I have asked permission to post two pictures that she took and will post them when I receive them.

Unable to tell how many eaglets in recent years but the owner of the house has seen juvies around.

ADDED: Last year we heard that they had a nest in the Provincial Park stim found the nest but there were no eaglets last year.

Link to 2018 Season Here
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

marg
Content Provider

Re: Marmot Road Bald Eagle Nest, Sechelt BC 2018

Post by marg » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:08 am

We were at the house last Sunday and saw the two eagles one was in the tree and the other soaring above. It was a good omen as we were at a Celebration of Life.
We were in the house and 2 were taken through the skylight.
2 of the nest.
I took these two pics of the nest on Sunday. Sandra, (stim) has an excellent picture of the nest maybe she will post it.
Marmot eagle nest tree d - 1.jpg
Marmot eagle nest tree d - 1.jpg (63.06 KiB) Viewed 5024 times
Marmot eagle nest tree aa - 1.jpg
Marmot eagle nest tree aa - 1.jpg (56.87 KiB) Viewed 5024 times
The last is one of the eagle perched in the nest tree.
Marmot eagle c - 1 8.43.44 PM.jpg
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:31 pm

Two more pictures taken Sunday.

This was doing a shuggle. :)
Marmot eagle c - 1.jpg
Attachments
Marmot eagle g - 1.jpg
Marmot eagle g - 1.jpg (72.25 KiB) Viewed 5021 times
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:04 am

Marmot nest.
I was talking to my friend yesterday she said that the eagles are very noisy so we'll wait and see if we have any eaglets this year. :luck:
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:52 am

Good to know Marg. Apparently they started out noisy last year then went quiet.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed May 16, 2018 11:52 am

I got to visit this nest yesterday. I started on Marmot where your friend, Marg, invited me up her driveway. I got my first picture of the nest there. She assured me there is noise and activity going on and through my lens I was sure I was seeing a white head in the nest.
1504.jpg

This is the nest I found in the Porpoise Bay campsite last year, Lot 17. I have not been sure until now. So I drove over there and found greater evidence of an adult in the nest. While there the nest eagle called out, answered from a distance away. I had to back up the road that leads right into Lot 17 to get the shot.
1510.jpg

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Wed May 16, 2018 1:25 pm

Glad you saw it from her driveway Sandra and this is the nest that Karen Bills and a few of the HWF members saw in 2007 when I showed them the nest and that I posted pictures of in February. It so happened the day we were there one of the eagles flew into the tree as we were looking at the nest! :)
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:33 am

I sent a message to my friend who lives close to the nest but told me that she hasn't spotted any eaglets yet. :dunno:
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:03 pm

I got back to the nest June 19, did not see nor hear any eagles. What I could see of the nest from the campground looked good. I always marvel at the massive load it looks to be bearing sagging at the bottom.
I wondered last year when the same thing happened, signs of brooding then nothing for neighbours to report early on in the season. There could be a new adult who is uncomfortable with being in a campsite lot and once people arrive directly underneath and around, departs. :dunno:
1861.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:52 pm

I got back here July 4 to find a couple camping on lot 17, under the nest. :D They were very approachable and shared that there is lots of calling going on, movement seen in the nest, adults in and out. Sounds promising! Pictures could not find any eagles in the nest nor trees.

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:32 pm

I visited Willow Point On July 7 with stim and found what we think might be a new view point of this nest.

One adult was in the nest and there appeared to be another eagle, perhaps a juvenile, sitting alongside. But when I had uploaded and zoomed the photos it was actually just a clump of tree branches. :(
Attachments
HWF_MarmotRd_20180706_114834.jpg
The tallest tree right in the middle is the nest tree
HWF_MarmotRd_20180706_5722.jpg
The adult and the clump of branches
HWF_MarmotRd_20180706_5738.jpg
The adult and the clump of branches but a bit more zoomed in
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:34 pm

We then drove around to the campground and walked along the beach until we could see the nest tree. Again one adult sitting above the nest but no signs of any juveniles
Attachments
HWF_MarmotRd_20180706_5743.jpg
HWF_MarmotRd_20180706_5747.jpg
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:50 am

Thank you for your pictures and report Heather. I guess there were no eaglets here this year. I have been fooled before thinking that I had seen an eagle only to find out that it was a branch of a tree, the way the leaves were formed looked like something was there!
:bye 1:
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:47 pm

I think I should tell the tale of us looking for that nest that you spied from such a distance Heather. The tree itself looked to be close to a residential area so we drove off Inlet Rd into a subdivision and immediately discovered we were on Marmot Rd. Yup, it turned out to be our Marmot Rd nest. :w00t: At least we found another viewpoint of it, down the waterside end of Burnett Rd to a spit of sand, where we were able to sit at a picnic table to look, discuss, marvel at finding yet another nest. :%:

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:53 pm

Thanks Sandra! Yes it was quite funny when we realised it was already a known nest :)

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”