Saxe Pt. Park Eagles, Esquimalt BC - 2017/2018 Season

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Saxe Pt. Park Eagles, Esquimalt BC - 2017/2018 Season

Post by sassyk » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:10 pm

I spent some time at the park early this afternoon and saw one adult perched above the nest. It was quite windy by the water and the eaglets must have been lying down in the nest because I didn't see them from any vantage point. As I was coming out at the end of a path I looked up and saw an adult soaring around above the nest site. When I got back to the nest site the adult was gone. After walking around the park a few times I finally saw one of the eaglets up wandering around the nest. I thought I saw the 2nd eaglet behind the one in front but I'm not sure I captured it clearly in any of my photos. I went back later after I had been to Beacon Hill Park for awhile and the same adult was perched on the broken stick in front of the nest but I didn't see either of the eaglets. I'll post some photos later.
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:02 pm

Some photos of the eagles today. Mom was perched above the nest.
IMG_4682 - Copy.JPG

Later she was soaring over the nest area.
IMG_4687 - Copy.JPG

Both eaglets are huddled together in the wind.
IMG_4703 - Copy.JPG
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:04 pm

Eaglet looking up at Mom perched above the nest.
IMG_4731 - Copy.JPG
IMG_4732 - Copy.JPG

Looking over the side of the nest at the dog on the beach below.
IMG_4737 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:26 am

I spent a bit of time at the park yesterday afternoon on my way home from the west shore area. I didn't see the adults anywhere in the area but did see both eaglets up wandering around the nest. Caught a poop shoot on video :D It was another dull day but it didn't rain and there was no wind. While on the opposite side of the park watching some small sailboats racing, I spotted the male perched at the top of a tree down the road at the boat ramp. He sat there ducking from the crows who were dive-bombing him then flew off over the bay and out of sight. I'll post some photos soon.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:59 am

All of these photos were taken from the path up to the rock bluff. 2nd eaglet behind.
IMG_4817 - Copy.JPG
IMG_4820 - Copy.JPG
IMG_4823 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:01 am

2nd eaglet finally walked around to the other side of the nest then disappeared.
IMG_4826 - Copy.JPG

This photo was taken from the inside path. These eaglets are quite big already.
IMG_4847 - Copy.JPG

The adult down the road by the boat ramp.
IMG_4856 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:39 am

I spent a bit of time in the park late yesterday afternoon. I didn't see or hear either of the adults in the area but the 2 big eaglets were sitting up in the nest screeping softly. Probably waiting for their dinner :) All of these photos were taken from the path up to the rock bluff.
IMG_5074 - Copy.JPG
IMG_5079 - Copy.JPG
IMG_5082 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:18 pm

I spent some time at the park early this evening. I could hear the eaglets squealing in the nest but they didn't get up until I had been up to the rock bluff 3 times. I caught them preening and calling at the back of the nest as well. One adult flew across the bay with several gulls in pursuit but it kept right on going past the nest tree. I didn't see it again :( I'll post some photos of the eaglets tomorrow.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:51 am

Some photos of the eaglet taken last evening. The quality isn't good due to the glare from the sun :roll:

This one was taken from the path to the rock bluff, trying to avoid the glare.
IMG_5193 - Copy.JPG

The next 2 were taken from the inside path, back of the nest.
IMG_5200 - Copy.JPG
IMG_5205 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:05 pm

I visited the park for a short while yesterday evening. It was very windy and I had a hard time keeping my camera still :roll: While I was on the inside path I briefly saw both eaglets spreading their wings but wasn't ready with my camera. I was up and down the inside path and the path up to the rock bluff and saw one eaglet jumping up and down and flapping its wings. I was worried that it was going to get blown off the nest :ohmy: I didn't see the 2nd eaglet and assumed it was lying down to stay out of the wind. One of the adults flew in over the bay being chased by gulls and kept on going right past the nest tree. A while later while I was down the road at the boat ramp one of the adults was flying around over the rock bluff then headed towards the park. When I went back for another look I didn't see it anywhere.

The first 2 photos were taken from the path up to the rock bluff.
Saxe Pt. Eaglet1.JPG
Saxe Pt. Eaglet2.JPG

This photo was taken from the inside path.
Saxe Pt. Eaglet3.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:29 pm

I went to the park this evening and found out why I didn't see the 2nd eaglet last time I was there on Friday June 22nd. The fellow in the house at the end of Constance Ave. across the beach (the neighbour), told a few people who visit the park almost every day what happened one day last week. The female was perched in the nest being harassed by the crows when she ducked to avoid a dive-bombing crow and accidently knocked the eaglet off the nest. It fell and managed to land on a lower branch of the nest tree, not too far from the ground. The neighbour said he was going to call Wild ARC but 2 days later when the fellow I spoke to tonight returned to the park the eaglet was still perched on the same branch. I told him that WildARC probably wouldn't attempt a rescue unless the eaglet was on the ground and was vulnerable to predators. Another fellow said he was watching it every day and saw the female feeding it on the branch. Another lady I spoke to was at the park on the weekend with her dog and saw the eaglet sitting on the beach. She quickly leashed her dog and watched the eaglet trying to lift itself off the ground and get back up to the nest. She didn't do anything about reporting the downed eaglet. When I told her tonight that there were 2 eaglets in the nest she was very relieved. I'm very relieved that both eaglets are OK and also glad that I didn't know the eaglet was out of the nest or I probably wouldn't have gotten much sleep worrying about it. I will post some photos later; probably not until tomorrow night.

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:12 pm

Kay: That's amazing the eaglet was able to fly back to the nest from the ground. At the very least it would have had to fly to a branch and then make its way up from there. Either way, it is a feat and a half. It is also very interesting someone saw a parent feed the eaglet on a branch below the nest. We have always maintained this does not happen in order to encourage the eaglet back to the nest. Hunger is a great motivator.
Anyway, all's well that ends well. That's good to know.
Be the change that you want to see in the world. – Mohandas K. Gandhi

Vancouver Island Contact and
Member since August 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:00 pm

elle after hearing about the eaglet's fall I was so relieved to see that it was in such good condition :woohoo: I'm very happy that the experience did end well :thumlft:

One of the adults was perched in a tree close to the nest tree with the crows harassing it.
IMG_5743 - Copy.JPG

The eaglets were both calling.
IMG_5735 - Copy.JPG
IMG_5740 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:04 pm

The bigger eaglet was flapping its wings on the side of the nest.
IMG_5782 - Copy.JPG
IMG_5783 - Copy.JPG

Then the other eaglet flapped its wings behind the branch.
IMG_5794 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:06 pm

More wing flapping by the bigger eaglet.
IMG_5796 - Copy.JPG
IMG_5797 - Copy.JPG

This photo was taken from the back side of the nest, from the inside path.
IMG_5840 - Copy.JPG

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”