White Rock 2017 -2018 Ground Observers

Camera discussion and observations for the White Rock nest in White Rock, British Columbia

Moderator: White Rock TA's

DDuckies2
Zoomer

White Rock 2017 -2018 Ground Observers

Post by DDuckies2 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:43 am

WELCOME TO THE WHITE ROCK AREA GROUND OBSERVERS THREAD ~ SEASON 2017-2018

This thread is intended for reports and pictures/videos of the the White Rock area. We welcome posts relating to information which depicts the environment of the White Rock Eagle's nest and encourage members who visit White Rock and the surrounding area to post their comments and pictures here. Learning more about the area and the many eagles that live there will only add to our viewing experience of the White Rock Eagles and their nest.
:grhug:

DDuckies2
Zoomer

Re: White Rock 2017 -2018 Ground Observers

Post by DDuckies2 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:44 am

reserved

DDuckies2
Zoomer

Post by DDuckies2 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:46 am

Jan 5 2018
Mr DD saw a young one on top the sailing clubs flag "pole" That is north of our nest area, by Blackies Spit.
photo03.jpg

DDuckies2
Zoomer

Post by DDuckies2 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:35 pm

March 6 11:30am.
North of our WR nest area.
Attachments
11  30amm.JPG
11 31amm.JPG
11 32amm.JPG

DDuckies2
Zoomer

Post by DDuckies2 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:54 pm

March 21 2018 12pm/noon
Our Nest
Attachments
3 21 18 12pm b.JPG
3 21 18 12pma.JPG
3 21 18 12pm g.JPG

DDuckies2
Zoomer

Post by DDuckies2 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:40 pm

possable nest to the north of our nest.
I did not see anyone on it so might be not in use.
It's in the last CDS on Indian Fort Drive , circle is where I stood to take the picture.
Attachments
3 21 18 12pm h.JPG
3 21 18 12pm f.JPG
3 21 18 12 pm e.JPG

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:55 pm

THURSDAY, MARCH 22, 2018

:bye 1:
Member since May 9, 2006

Tweety

Post by Tweety » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:42 am

:) Hi Karen and DD

I found the nest that you took a photo of DD, thanks. I did see an adult flying around there and heard some trilling.

I recently found another nest, one that is visible from that same Cul de Sac. I will try to get a photo today. Perhaps you are already well aware of it? It is visible to the naked eye. It is in the tall trees to the west of a large pond-not Russ' eagle bath but a few doors north and west.

Yesterday I was treated to a nice show at days end when the wind died down. I counted 8 bald eagles soaring over the Indian Fort Drive area. An adult pair kept a smaller circuit (over the nest area) and the others circuited much higher and further to the south and west—perhaps as far as Kwomais? A third eagle dropped out of orbit so to speak and this adult tried to knock one of the pair out of the sky. That happened right over the CdeS so I got a great look with my binocs. There was a loud shriek just before the event. It was not a trill.

The attack/bumping attempt failed to stop the paired eagles from soaring but they did lower their height somewhat. I don't think it was an attempt to steal food (the pair had recently eaten as seen on the nest cam so they likely were not hunting) but I may be wrong. Is there a way to distinguish a territorial attack vs. an attempt to steal food? I did see yellow legs out and talons open on the attacker.

The attacker eventually made a landing in a tall tree near where I stood in the CdS. With my binoculars I was able to watch it push out its legs and talons then tip the wing edges to slow and to lose altitude and then grasp a branch. POOF. Once in the green fir it became invisible to me.

This end of day soaring-fest seems to be a regular thing. I have been able to watch it most days the last few weeks. I think I just missed David and Karen once at that hour (supper time.)

It is frustrating that Ma and Pa did not give us their regular nesting show this spring but I still do find the behaviours interesting to watch. I also find it interesting to see the crows gather and fly low over lawns and roadways at this hour leaving the eagles to themselves. Every so often one of the adult eagles will swoop low over my home and yard very silently. I also saw one of these silent swoops take place in the schoolyard nearby (app 4pm.) I could see the eyes of this adult eagle at the last moment. It was staring at a man and his border collie dog. Too bad the fellow was looking down at his cell phone at the time. He was oblivious to the event which I can only describe as 'checking them out.' Is that a usual behaviour? I thought that they mostly ate fish?
Last edited by Tweety on Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tweety

Post by Tweety » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:02 pm

Just back from a bald eagle scouting walk. One adult was in the nest tree, on the nest edge, SE facing the ocean. Another bald eagle was perched close by on the tall tree, facing the nest tree. From underneath that nest looks pretty basic. You can see through it in one spot. I did not see any other activity from these two eagles.

I spotted one other adult bald eagle in the area that DD described, perched amongst a lot of greenery. A trill gave this one away. I might not have seen it otherwise.

I could hear trilling from the schoolyard area but no eagles were in sight there.

I have not seen any gatherings today. I'll look again before dark. Sunday there were 8 in total soaring above IFD. Many were juveniles and sub adults. It is exciting to think that these could possibly be eagles that we watched hatch and fledge on the WR cams! :bye 1:

Return to “White Rock ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam”