AEF Captiva/Sanibel Island Eagle Cam 2020/21

To store all archived 'Other North American Eagle Cams' topics

Moderator: N Amer Eagle Cam TA's

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Re: AEF Captiva/Sanibel Island Eagle Cam 2020/21

Post by MaryF » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:29 am

Here is a video from Lady Hawk from around the time of the feeding---more leg tremors I'm afraid. :(

AEF Captiva Eagles ~ Tremors Seen In Hope's Leg Leg Again. Connie Feeds Hope Before Bed! 💕 1.21.21

Hope does a crop drop :D
CAP   crop drop   1-21-21.jpg
From Lady Hawk

There were more tremors seen in the left leg of Hope today. They went on for a few minutes with Hope trying to stretch out that leg as they must feel uncomfortable. Connie flies in and feeds some of the remaining fish that Joe brought in earlier to Hope and she finishes the rest of it. Hope ate well with both Connie and Joe feedings today and had a good appetite and was alert. The tremors are neurological and are most likely caused by some sort of toxin that Hope has ingested. Both parents and Hope did consume some of Peace's body before Joe removed it from the nest yesterday. Adults are able to better assimilate toxins due to their larger body mass size then the eaglets. The tremors we see in Hope - may be caused by rat poison & can last for several weeks but will eventually go away as the poison is eliminated from the liver. Hope looks well with the exception of the tremors so let's hope for no further symptoms. Thank you for watching!

Video captured & edited by Lady Hawk

Happily eating and chittering
CAP   happily eating   1-21-21.jpg
Courtesy of AEF 2020 American Eagle Foundation Eagles.org

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciRUpkH ... HBcV3AJiTc :vid:

Member since July, 2006

Ferenz
Topic Assistant

Post by Ferenz » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:22 am

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:21 am

A video that gives us some hope that Hope will be ok.

Hope for Hope - Minimal to No Tremors Seen - 1212 pm - Jan 22, 2021 - Captiva Bald Eagles

From Deb Stecyk

During this rest period there were minimal to no tremors seen, which is encouraging. Hope was in the position where we normally see tremors; over a period of about 20 minutes i only observed minor brief tremors, which is marked improvement from previous days. Tremors were seen later in the afternoon yet it is important to document and celebrate when we do not see the tremors! Hope has been active, enjoying a regular "eaglet" type day, curious about her surroundings, wonderful interaction with Mom & Dad, good intake and output there is hope for Hope!

Thanks to the landowner Lori and the AEF for providing the Captiva Eagle Cams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=Iw ... e=youtu.be :vid:

Member since July, 2006

Ferenz
Topic Assistant

Post by Ferenz » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:25 am

Seems that 2nd poor little one Hope passed this night...

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:12 am

Here is the notice from the AEF ~~ :cry1: :brknhrt:

American Eagle Foundation LIVE Nest Cams
2tSpconsnaorhded ·
We are confirming that Hope, the remaining eaglet in the Captiva nest has been lost. Again, it is important to note that these are wild nests that provide us all a privileged glimpse into the natural lives of these majestic creatures. Nature, while beautiful, can also be brutal in its course.
Our cam operators may refocus views on some cams throughout the next few days to provide a comfortable viewing experience however, please note that some cams are fixed. Viewer discretion is advised.
Member since July, 2006

Maddy
Topic Assistant

Post by Maddy » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:15 am

:cry1: :brknhrt:
E9 is 7 yo now

RitaR
Topic Assistant

Post by RitaR » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:18 am

Mary, Ferenz and other viewer of this nest. I'm so very sorry to read of this loss today. Mary do you know if they will retrieve the body to do a necropsy? My heart goes out to all of you on this heart breaking day. :grhug:

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:08 am

No words to express the sorrow I feel for this nest, AEF, all watchers and posters. :brknhrt: :cry1: Your name gave us the promise we wished for. Fly free sweet Hope, join your brother and all gone before you. RIP
AKA: Marianne

yellowrose0127

Post by yellowrose0127 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:11 am

:cry1: :brknhrt: :cry1:
My heart is breaking and the tears are flowing. Sweet baby Hope, now free and with Peace , at the Rainbow Bridge with Mama Norfolk and Ozzie to welcome you. So many brothers and sisters to keep you company and to teach you. Fly forever with nothing to hold you back. The sky is no longer your limit. :rh:
Paula H.
"The Eagle soared, and its flight said all it needed to say."-Robin Green
:eag:

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:18 am

RitaR wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:18 am
Mary, Ferenz and other viewer of this nest. I'm so very sorry to read of this loss today. Mary do you know if they will retrieve the body to do a necropsy? My heart goes out to all of you on this heart breaking day. :grhug:

Rita I have heard nothing at all about plans to do that. It could be by now there is nothing to retrieve--it's hard to tell since AEF has moved the cam :( (They were my birthday babies and I am incredibly sad!! :cry1: :brknhrt: )
MaryF
Member since July, 2006

RitaR
Topic Assistant

Post by RitaR » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:22 am

Oh Mary I am so very sorry! Didn't know they were your birthday babies. :brknhrt: :cry1: Big hugs to you on this day. :grhug:

Thank you Rita---they were very special to me. :brknhrt: From the side cam she is still in the nest.

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:37 am

..I have two videos from last night made by Debs. They may be hard to watch. :cry1:

Hope's Acute Suffering - Ends with her Passing - Viewer Discretion - Jan 24, 2021- Captiva Eagles

From Deb Stecyk

At 401 pm yesterday fresh blood was visible on Hope's right leg and foot. Sadly after dark Hope went into severe distress showing signs of choking and trying hard to expel a pellet or something else. The suffering progressed and intensified thorough out the night, for the viewers observing via live cam it was heartbreaking to watch. Just before Hope passes Mom returns to the nest. Hope you pain and suffering has ended, united with Peace once again, together you can soar the heavens as angels. RIP Hope you fought so hard to survive you will be forever missed. Hugs to Lori the landowner and to everyone following this precious eagle family.

Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:41 am

Hopes Suffering Ends - Mom Returns to Comfort - Viewer Discretion - Jan 24, 2021 - Captiva Eagles

From Deb Stecyk

At 401 pm yesterday fresh blood was visible on Hope's right leg and foot. Sadly after dark Hope went into severe distress showing signs of choking and trying hard to expel a pellet or something else. The suffering progressed and intensified thorough out the night, for the viewers observing via live cam it was heartbreaking to watch. Just before Hope passes Mom returns to the nest. Hope you pain and suffering has ended, united with Peace once again, together you can soar the heavens as angels. RIP Hope you fought so hard to survive you will be forever missed. Hugs to Lori the landowner and to everyone following this precious eagle family

Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:04 am

Eagles do mourn in their own way although they move on quickly. I do believe that these show some typical grief. This is Connie, I believe, with Hope.

Connie standing guard.
CAP   parent with Hope   1-24-21.jpg
Looking at Hope
CAP   looking down at Hope   1-24-21.jpg
Looking down at her baby.
CAP   looking at her baby   1-24-21.jpg
Member since July, 2006

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:18 am

My sympathy and big hugs to everyone following these wonderful eagles. :cry1: