Ten Mile Point Eagles, Saanich BC - 2018 Season

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
sassyk
Content Provider

Ten Mile Point Eagles, Saanich BC - 2018 Season

Post by sassyk » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:59 am

Welcome to the Ten Mile Point Eagles thread for the 2018 season.

This nest is on private property in the Ten Mile Point area, within the Municipality of Saanich. The nest had been on this property for several years and could possibly be a replacement nest for the one that was in a huge Cottonwood tree in nearby Konukson Park that blew down in 2011.

I visited this nest in October of 2017 and sadly the nest was almost gone.
Ten Mile Pt. nest Oct. 2017.jpg
Link to previous threads for this nest:

2015-2018 Seasons
2014/2015 Season
2013/2014 Season

A fellow WiTS nest monitor has confirmation from her contact who lives at Ten Mile Point that the eagles went back to a previous nest on Beach Drive in the Uplands area and fledged 2 eaglets last summer. Observations and photos of these eagles and their offspring for the 2018 season can be found on the Oak Bay Eagles thread here.

If you see eagles in the Ten Mile Point area please post your observations and photographs here on this thread.
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

elle
Content Provider

Re: Ten Mile Point Eagles, Saanich BC - 2018 Season

Post by elle » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:04 pm

Went to Ten Mile Point today and had a hike around through the woods and the neighbourhood. . There were no eagles seen or heard and no nest . Spoke with an elderly man who has lived there for 50 years and he said he has not seen any eagles since the nest blew down. He said that happened 3 years ago but sassyk has indicated it was in 2011. ( time flies faster as we get older :) )
We went down to the waterside where we could see the Beach Drive at Landsdowne nest in the distance. It is entirely possible the 10 Mile Point pair moved to that nest as has been suggested.

We did go by the Lansdowne /Beach Drive nest . Both adults were perched in a tree by the water. Then as we drove away we saw one adult fly toward the nest with something in its talons followed closely by the other adult. ( and some angry crows) When we got to the nest we could hear screeping and one adult was feeding in the nest while the other stood guard above. I will post those pictures on the Oak Bay nests thread.
Be the change that you want to see in the world. – Mohandas K. Gandhi

Vancouver Island Contact and
Member since August 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:34 pm

elle wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:04 pm
Went to Ten Mile Point today and had a hike around through the woods and the neighbourhood. . There were no eagles seen or heard and no nest . Spoke with an elderly man who has lived there for 50 years and he said he has not seen any eagles since the nest blew down. He said that happened 3 years ago but sassyk has indicated it was in 2011. ( time flies faster as we get older :) )
The big nest that was in the cottonwood tree in Knutson Park did blow down in 2011. If you read back on previous year's activities at this nest location, you will know that I have been posting on a nest which was on private property and thought to be a replacement nest for the one in the park. This nest could be the one the resident was referring to. It did fall down in 2016 after the eagles had successfully fledged several young from that nest. Then the eagles moved back to the old nest on Beach/Lansdowne.
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:53 am

Thanks for the clarification, Kay. No current nest at Ten Mile Point .
Be the change that you want to see in the world. – Mohandas K. Gandhi

Vancouver Island Contact and
Member since August 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:33 pm

The eagles are definitely using the Lansdowne nest this season. It will be interesting to see what happens in the fall. Perhaps another pair will build a nest in the Ten Mile Point area :) Marie's friend will be watching them :thumlft:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:39 am

In view of the fact that the eagles have gone back to their old nest on Beach Drive, I have included this nest in the Oak Bay Eagles thread here. I will not open a new dedicated thread for this nest unless the eagles decide to re-build or build a new nest for the 2018/2019 season in the Ten Mile Point area. If you see eagles nesting in the Ten Mile Point area, please let me know and I will set up a new thread.

This thread is now locked.

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”