Delta2 2019 -2020 Observation and Discussion Thread

Camera discussion for the Delta2 nest in Delta, British Columbia

Moderator: Delta 2 TA's

RoseA
Topic Assistant

Re: Delta2 2019 -2020 Observation and Discussion Thread

Post by RoseA » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:29 am

7:22am rollback. Adult into the nest (Trooper?) with a branch... he didn't stay long.
Aug2-Adult1.jpg
Aug2-Adult2.jpg
“The eyesight for an eagle is what thought is to a man.”
― Dejan Stojanovic, The Creator

RoseA
Topic Assistant

Post by RoseA » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:47 am

Just did a quick look around at the towers and poles etc. No sign of any eagles at the moment.

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:55 am

9:54pm........... :wave: Good afternoon Delta2 friends! Thanks Sandy and Rose for your posts today!

Another sunny day here...............
1.JPG
"Volunteers do not necessarily have the time..............they have the heart"..........Elizabeth Andrew

(Member since 9/10/11)

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:01 am

9:55am............Shadow has not been since since yesterday morning. Ma and Trooper are still here. Indications are the Shadow could finally be on his way with his new juvie friends and that is as it should be. But before we conclude this for certain a bit more time will be needed.......maybe a day or two. In the meantime we will keep a look out for our adults. They sometimes do bring some greenery to the nest before they leave on their migration. Trooper for one, loves to do that. And they will hang around a bit until they feel satisfied that Shadow is on his way and they can leave. But they likely won't stick around much longer is my guess.

As we wind things down on the nest for this season our zoomers are beginning to take much needed time away from the cams. We are still around but will likely be taking short looks for our adults and keeping watch in case Shadow decides to come back for a visit.

If anyone is watching and sees eagles in the nest please post what you see! It is extremely helpful and time saving for us here to have others also documenting. Thanks!
"Volunteers do not necessarily have the time..............they have the heart"..........Elizabeth Andrew

(Member since 9/10/11)

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:34 pm

12:33pm.......IN on both cams...........Checked the rollback......No eagles have been to the nest since the last post.

12:57pm.......Searched the area for 20 minutes.....absolutely no sound or sight of any eagles at all.

I am now OFF both cams.

(Member since 9/10/11)

RoseA
Topic Assistant

Post by RoseA » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:49 pm

Checked rollback, no one in or out of the nest since Jean's last post.

2:10 Finished looking around... no sign of eagles at the moment.

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:14 pm

3:14pm...Thanks Rose......I will have another look around.............IN on both cams.

No eagles have been here since the last post.

3:33pm..........Really seems deserted out there.......NO sign of anyone out there except for some light colored birds by the bay....likely gulls.
1.JPG
I am now OFF both cams.

(Member since 9/10/11)

RoseA
Topic Assistant

Post by RoseA » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:24 pm

Aug2-Roof.jpg
No one in or out of the nest since Jean's last post. There are birds again along the roof of this building.

4:32 pm. No sign of eagles around.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:59 pm

2020 Cam Maintenance Fund Drive

Half Way There!

Thank you so much to those of you who have donated - and wow, we are making great progress!

When I started thinking about this post, I was thinking that Loki and probably Thor from Surrey Reserve were up north feasting on salmon, and Shadow from Delta 2 and Quebec from White Rock were getting ready to go - which sounded like a great start for a halfway there post.

But there's a chance that Shadow and Quebec are faster than I am, and also more motivated by free salmon - so let's just assume they aren't quite up north with Loki and Thor, but on their way.

And I want to honor the fledgling that may have taken a different path. Sunny from the Delta 2 nest never returned after his/her unplanned slip from the nest. It's likely something bad happened - but it's also possible that Sunny couldn't find his/her home nest - but found another nest with adults who could provide a few more days of support, which is all Sunny would need; a nearby nest where only one chick had been seen had two shortly after Sunny left Delta 2. It's a long shot - but maybe.

So - two fledglings maybe up north - two maybe on the way or maybe going to pop in for breakfast in the morning - and one taking a different route, hopefully happy but maybe on the far side of the rainbow bridge.

So - we are halfway to our goal of $10,000 - which will help us replace two cams at White Rock (we have the cams - thanks, Russ! - but need a lift and a team to get them installed), replace the domes and hopefully upgrade the internet service at Surrey Reserve, replace the domes and cut back some of the little forest that has grown up to block the view of the nest at Delta 2, and figure out why the South cam keeps going offline at Harrison Mills.

Our oldest cams are at White Rock and Harrison Mills, and this is why we want to replace the closeup cam at White Rock; these two screenshots are thanks to amyklai. This is the old cam:
and this is a newer cam - and the type of view we hope to have:

Because we haven't been able to work on the cams at White Rock for a couple of years, it's our top priority. And if we want to do everything on our wish list at the other nests - we need some more help.

It is wonderful that we are making such great progress - and please, if you can, help us make it the rest of the way.

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

RoseA
Topic Assistant

Post by RoseA » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:10 pm

Aug2-FirstTower2.jpg
Someone on the first tower but doesn't look quite big enough to be an eagle... a hawk maybe :dunno:
Aug2-FirstTower1.jpg

RoseA
Topic Assistant

Post by RoseA » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:25 pm

7:25 No activity on the nest since my last post.

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:35 pm

7:34pm.....Hi Rose! Thanks for being here........I'm running late tonight! No sign of our eagles tonight?

Please stay on the cams if you like.

(Member since 9/10/11)

RoseA
Topic Assistant

Post by RoseA » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:37 pm

Jean wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:35 pm
7:34pm.....Hi Rose! Thanks for being here........I'm running late tonight! No sign of our eagles tonight?
Not so far! I was starting to wonder what happened to you :chin:
Anyway I can logout now...

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:37 pm

Sunset tonight........
1.JPG
1.JPG (13.88 KiB) Viewed 1346 times

(Member since 9/10/11)

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:38 pm

7:38pm....Ok thanks Rose.........I am IN on both cams.

Wonder if all our eagle family has left? :dunno:

(Member since 9/10/11)

Return to “Delta #2 ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam”