Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

stim
Content Provider

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2019-2020

Post by stim » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:13 am

Lovely shots and a great catch Karen. Looking old enough to possibly be starting to have a few of those mating hormones happening?
I may as well add pics I took of the nest last week, Jan 29. Looks like they've been adding to what was left last season.

Front.
4376.jpg
Back.
4382.jpg

Mushka

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2019-2020

Post by Mushka » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:13 pm

I was down at Chaster Park / Ocean Beach Esplanade today walking our dog and noticed an eagle at the edge of the water just past the creek eating, zoomed in with my camera and saw the band so knew it was Pa Chaster. Because I was with Yogi I couldn't go down onto the beach so pictures are taken from the road and I also couldn't make out what he was eating. But, he seemed to be enjoying whatever it was even if two pesky crows kept flying at him trying to get him to move along, which he didn't until he was finished :)

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

NIK_4882-1.jpg
NIK_4888-1.jpg
NIK_4894-1.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:27 am

Wow Karen, you do get some excellent shots! In the first it almost looks like the crow landed on Pa! Marvellous photos. You should frame some to sell for Gibsons Rehab! :D
I always like to see our couple eating a good meal.

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:52 pm

Thank you Sandra! While I was watching it looked like the crow might have actually been hitting Pa's back with its feet to get him to move, not sure if a crow is that brave though. I'm a bit late posting this update, the pictures were taken February 22nd while I was walking our dog along OBE. I spotted two adults perched at the top of a tree by Camp Road, wasn't sure if they were the Chaster couple at first until they flew off and I managed to capture Pa's band in a picture.

About a half hour later after our walk I drove back towards the nest to see if there was any activity there, when I arrived I could see an adult in the nest who flew out soon after I arrived and landed on the curved branch beside the nest, the band on the leg showed it was Pa!

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge.

NIK_5765-1.jpg
Chaster couple perched at the corner of OBE and Camp Road
NIK_5795-1.jpg
NIK_5801-1.jpg
Pa Chaster landing on the curved perch branch after leaving the nest

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:42 am

Years ago I witnessed a crow dive bombing a perched Pa Stalashen close enough to move feathers on the side of his body. Your crow was a bit more cautious attacking his back. Pa couldn't really fight back quickly enough to retaliate. Pa Stalashen waited for his moment and after many dive bombs flew up after the crow and caught it in midair while it was flying away then floated right down into the nest where there was a youngster. Nice fresh meal.
Lovely shot of them both and once again, reinforcement that our Pa Chaster still rules there. We must ask Angela his age. He's definitely getting on! Thanks Karen!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:04 pm

Fund Drive for Hard Drives

Good afternoon, everyone! I have just learned that we do not have the hard drives we need to record our cams as we approach little chick time - and we do not have the funds necessary to buy them.

These are the high resolution drives that are connected directly to the cams at the site, making it possible to record high quality videos of events at the nests - and we usually have them up and running before the eggs are laid. As you know, we already have eggs at three of our four nests, and they are likely any day now at the fourth nest - so time is of the essence.

Our tech person Ken is estimating that it will cost about $7000 to buy the high quality, high capacity drives needed for our 9 cams, and while we are keeping up with our regular monthly expenses, we don't have the extra money needed to buy and install the hard drives.

I know this is a hard time financially for many of us, with many businesses closed - but it may also be a time when some of us are staying home and watching the eagles after cancelling planned trips or dinners out - and I'd like to ask those who can to contribute towards these hard drives.

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:03 pm

I always wonder if crows push it just a little too far, haven't seen what you saw yet Sandra not sure I want too but I'm sure one day it'll happen.

Have only been for a walk with our dogs along Bonniebrook a couple of times since social distancing came into effect, but was there yesterday. Zoomed in on the nest as we walked underneath and past the tree, looking back while heading towards the large pullout. Could see a head in the nest, possible brooding maybe ?

Karen H

NIK_7804-2.jpg
Looking back at the nest after we'd walked by
NIK_7804-1.jpg
Head peeking out from the nest
NIK_7802-1.jpg
Another picture of the head seen in the nest

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:15 am

I suspect you caught one of our adults brooding, sitting high enough that eggs have likely hatched. Looks like Pa to me. A little early for this couple but we'll see when the youngsters fledge. Well done! I was doing a finger count yesterday thinking eggs should be hatching in the area. What a great view the adults have facing out over the Strait as they are. :woohoo: Thanks Karen!

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:06 pm

Interesting in that I returned to the nest site yesterday around 3:00 pm to find no eagle sightings, no eagle sounds. No head in the nest. I did hear a loud seal bark though but by the time I got to an area where I could see it it was out quite a way. It looked to be interacting with a couple of paddle boarders. I'm not sure who approached whom! Too far out for photos.
I wish we could find a perch tree Ma or Pa might use relatively close to the nest tree.

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:57 pm

I must just hit it lucky sometimes when I'm by that way Sandra, stopped by and checked the nest a couple of days ago (Friday) and again could see an adult in the nest. Pictures were taken from the down side, just past the large pullout / parking area, looking towards the nest tree. I did go onto the beach to try for better pictures but couldn't see as well. This was about 3:50 pm.

Karen H

NIK_8665-1.jpg
NIK_8667-1.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:33 am

Glad you saw someone in the nest. I like the second photo with parent looking down as they often do on cam, at youngster(s) in the nest. As much as I love seeing our eagles I am glad you know how to time your visits and share your findings. :hug:

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:09 pm

It's been a while since I've really seen any activity at the nest, I walk past there a couple of times a week with our dogs and have only see an adult perched on the curved branch beside the nest, but no head peeking out from the nest or any youngsters so far. On June 9th though I did see an adult in the nest so hoping that's good news or that someone else has seen something more than I have.

Karen H

NIK_1887.JPG
June 2nd
NIK_2473.JPG
June 9th
NIK_2571.JPG
June 13th

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:09 am

Is that a mossy tree limb that has come down on the nest? :ohmy: Remember last year debris was in the nest likely from some dead branches above? I have thought that 1 of the youngsters was injured and didn't make it then. Hopefully if this is a fallen part of a branch it didn't cause injury! :luck:

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:18 am

It does appear to be a mossy branch Sandra, here's a closely cropped picture showing it better. This was taken on the up side of the nest, by the mail boxes / "Love Shack". I do remember last year and though of the same thing this time, maybe why no youngsters have been spotted yet ? Or could just be timing that none have been seen yet.

I was back that way with the dogs yesterday and again only saw an adult on the curved perch branch.

Karen H

NIK_2616.JPG

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:22 am

How concerning. Thanks for the enlarged photo. I meant to get down yesterday but was too worn out by errands. :(

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”