Report Cams Down and Forum Errors

Report cams up/down or if you need technical assistance.
JudyB
Admin

Re: Report Cams Down and Forum Errors

Post by JudyB » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:42 pm

Delta East is streaming! :woohoo:

Thanks, Ken!

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:00 pm

JudyB wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:42 pm
Delta East is streaming! :woohoo:

Thanks, Ken!
Good News ~ Thanks Ken and Judy ~

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:28 pm

You're welcome, Bev - and Ken was happy that things were fixable once he was able to get out there with a bag of spare parts!

This is a follow-up to the discussion of gaps in the rollback/dvr feature of our cams; I posted it on the Delta 2 observation thread earlier today.
JudyB wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:28 am
Hi again! As some of you know, gemini and I have been doing an experiment. We know that YouTube knows how many viewers there are for each cam at a given time (though I don't know if they have a running tally or if they spot-check every so often) but you can see the count if you watch directly on YouTube, rather than on our Live Cams pages:

And we know that the dvr/rollback for all of our cams tends to have gaps, especially during the night. And I got to wondering if YouTube stops recording if there's no one watching. That seems counter-intuitive to me - I mean, the whole idea of dvr is so that you can go back and see what you missed. But it seemed like something we could test. And no, gemini and I have not stayed up 24/7 for the last week or two - but we have left cams streaming on our computers when we went to bed, and it appears that if they continue to stream through the night, there are no gaps. You can read the daily reports on the Cams Down page starting here - viewtopic.php?f=66&t=33&start=1500#p280910

What I don't know - and may be harder to determine - is how long YouTube continues to record with no one watching (or how often it checks to see if anyone's watching - or however it does this). Last night the cam went to a spinning circle on my computer at 9:17 pm (the other three cams I had streaming continued to stream and didn't have gaps); Philjo checked in at 11 pm and 1:47 am. I haven't found exactly when the gaps were, but there was time missing from the dvr between 12:35 am and and 1:53 am (that was 1 hour on the dvr, 1 hour 20 minutes real time) and there was time missing between 1:53 am and 4:42 am (also an hour on the dvr, and about 3 hours real time). Knowing that Philjo checked in at 1:47 am, it will be interesting to see when the gap in that hour started - and I'll try to look into that after lunch.

For now - I know not everyone has internet plans that allow them to watch videos around the clock - but if we could have a couple more people keeping the cams streaming through the night, there would be less chance of a gap.

Thoughts?

Added - I looked back at the general area where I'd found gaps, and the cam jumped from 2:09 am to 3:05 am and then from 3:28 to 4:23 am. And I'm not sure what that proves - the dvr stopped at 2:09 am, which was less than a half hour after Philjo looked in. It started again at 3:05 am - and maybe someone who doesn't post looked in then - that would be 6 am on the East Coast, which is not an unreasonable time for people to take a quick look as they're getting ready for work. It went down again less than a half hour later and came back up at 4:23 am - and no one posted until I arrived around 7:30 am - but when I took the picture at 7:48 am to show the number of people watching, there were 4 other people with the cam streaming, according to YouTube - so maybe it was being watched starting at 4:23 am - that's 7:23 am on the east coast, and 5-6 hours later in much of Europe.

So my thought is that the more we can keep the cams streaming, the less gaps we'll have. I'm happy to keep the Delta streaming when I go to bed, at least for a while longer - but I don't have a lot of bandwidth, so having 5 cams streaming instead of 4 may mean that more of them go to spinning circles during the night. (As of this afternoon, we have 8 cams streaming - gemini is doing the other three.)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:49 am

SATURDAY , FEBRUARY 15, 2020.

Good Morning Judy ..

The N Cam at SR is sputtering and the N Cam at H Mills is stopping at times... maybe a reboot will solve both when you have time '.

Thank you
Bev

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:38 am

MONDAY , FEBRUARY 17, 2020.

Good Morning Judy -

N Cam at SR is sputtering... I think a reboot will help when you have time

Thanks
Bev

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:47 am

Thanks, Bev - I'll check it out in a few minutes.

Overnight gaps -

I'm no longer going to do reports but we will try to keep as many cams as we can streaming.

Last night Delta 2 East went to a spinning circle at 1:32 am, so if it has gaps, that's probably why; if it doesn't, that probably means others were watching.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:00 pm

JudyB wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:47 am
Thanks, Bev - I'll check it out in a few minutes.

Overnight gaps -

I'm no longer going to do reports but we will try to keep as many cams as we can streaming.

Last night Delta 2 East went to a spinning circle at 1:32 am, so if it has gaps, that's probably why; if it doesn't, that probably means others were watching.
So did all the others. Checking for a power outage then trying to call Ken.

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:06 pm

2:05pm......Delta2 embedded cams off now too.......spinning circles first, reloading did not bring them back. Zoomer cams working.
"Volunteers do not necessarily have the time..............they have the heart"..........Elizabeth Andrew

(Member since 9/10/11)

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:09 pm

YouTube is Down....all cams on YouTube are down

3:15 pm - edit: YouTube is back up all cams seem fine now

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:17 pm

I just got off the phone with Ken; he's rebooted his equipment, and all the embedded cams (except Harrison South) are streaming now.

Ken and I both had to refresh/reload pages a couple of times to get some of them - and as a reminder, I forget if it's Shift or Control plus the refresh icon/link, but that's a stronger way of reloading a page without using any cached info which might be wrong.

Please let me know if you still have issues.

Added - I could only think of one non-HWF cam on YouTube to check and it was streaming while ours were down - but I'm guessing YouTube has more than one server (or whatever) so part of YouTube might indeed been the problem. Ken didn't see anything wrong on his equipment, but rebooted it just in case, and the cams started coming back up about the time he'd rebooted everything.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:24 pm

2:23 pm
Cams seem to be going to spinning circle more than usual, though they've come back with a refresh so far - if this is a YouTube issue, it may not be completely solved.

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:44 am

FRIDAY , FEBRUARY 21, 2020.

Good Morning Judy

Re South Cam at H Mills .. Folks at H Mills are wondering if you have any idea when Ken will make a site visit .

Thank You
Bev

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:46 am

TUESDAY , FEBRUARY 25, 2020.

Good Morning Judy

4:35a

N Cam at SR is sputtering..I think a reboot will help when you have time :huggie:

\Thank You Bev .

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:57 am

Good Afternoon Judy ..

Re H Mills N Embedded Cam

10:40 am
No sound

I checked the DVR .. the cam has spinning circle at times '. last time there was sound was around 10:10am

I am wondering if a reboot will help.

Thank you
Bev

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:10 am

IrishEyes wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:57 am
Good Afternoon Judy ..

Re H Mills N Embedded Cam

10:40 am
No sound

I checked the DVR .. the cam has spinning circle at times '. last time there was sound was around 10:10am

I am wondering if a reboot will help.

Thank you
Bev
I'll be happy to give it a try.

Added -
Done, and I have sound on the embedded cam now. Hopefully you will too!

Return to “Technical Help”