Beacon Hill Park Eagles, Victoria BC - 2019-2023 Seasons

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

Calypso

Re: Beacon Hill Park Eagles, Victoria BC - 2019/2020 Season

Post by Calypso » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:09 am

Two adult bald eagles were on the lamp standard at Ogden Point this morning. They were very vocal.
I didn't have my camera this time.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:29 pm

Thanks for posting your observations Calypso :thumlft: I plan to get out one day between Christmas and New Years to visit the park and a few other places where eagles hang out :)
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:13 pm

I went to the park today to see if the eagles were there. One was perched atop the totem pole :thumlft: It looked like it was the male but we didn't see the other one anywhere in the park.
IMG_6380 - Copy.JPG
IMG_6386 - Copy.JPG
IMG_6389 - Copy.JPG
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:17 pm

The nest looked like part of it had fallen down and my friend and I both thought it looked very different than the last time we saw it. It almost looked like the nest had been moved to another branch on the nest tree :dunno: It was late in the afternoon and the sun was low in the sky.
IMG_6398 - Copy.JPG
IMG_6400 - Copy.JPG
IMG_6402 - Copy.JPG

Calypso

Post by Calypso » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:57 am

At 9:40 this morning an adult eagle flew low over the Dallas Rd path, headed towards Ogden Point. I think I was the only one who noticed, everyone else was looking at their phones!

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:45 pm

Thanks Calypso I don't even have a cell phone :roll:

Calypso

Post by Calypso » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:47 am

Unfortunately I didn’t carry my phone on this morning’s dog walk.
A large adult bald eagle was sitting on a high log right off Holland Point Park. She was there from 9:45 to 10:15 at least. A few people noticed and one took a photo.
I assumed it was a female from the size. She had a full white head that actually formed a cape on her shoulders. There appeared to be one white feather in the middle of her breast. Sassyk, do you recognize her from this description?

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:58 pm

Calypso Thanks for your report :thumlft: I don't recall seeing a white feather in the middle of either of the Beacon Hill eagles' chest. It very well could have been one of them and it could also have been one from the Saxe Pt. Park nest :dunno:

PGully

Post by PGully » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:55 pm

I am just back to posting my observations of the nest above the playground. I can see an adult in the nest consistently and at other times it is presumably hunkered down. What is the timing of egg laying and hatching here?
I am not sure what happened to the nest but it seems to be lower down after the wind storm a few weeks ago. Anyway it is being used.
Paul

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:45 am

Paul thanks for posting your observations. Yes, the nest definitely looks different. I am not sure what has happened to it but it is good news that the eagles are using it :thumlft: If one of the eagles is consistently in the nest that is a good sign that they probably are incubating eggs :woohoo: It isn't too early for eggs! I plan to go to the park tomorrow, weather permitting :roll:

Simon Pedicab

Post by Simon Pedicab » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:58 pm

Thanks for the info. I heard that the old next was knocked down during a wind storm a couple of months ago. I have been checking its old spot a couple of times a week but haven't seen any sign of a nest or eagles. When you say "above the playground" are you referring to the old location or somewhere new? I will check again today and look around a bit more rather than being fixated on the last location.

PGully

Post by PGully » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:46 am

Sorry for the delay in replying.
I mean last year's location (2018/2019). The nest seems to have shifted or is perhaps more visible due to a loss of surrounding branches.
It was swaying a lot in last weekend's winds but is still there and there is an adult sitting there right now.
Paul

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:10 pm

Simon Pedicab and PGully thanks so much for posting your observations.

I just realized I hadn't posted my observations and photos from my last visit to the park on March 6th.

The old nest has fallen and there were many sticks on the ground underneath the nest tree. A new nest has definitely been built either in the adjacent tree or another branch of the same tree. It looks very small so obviously the eagles haven't had much time to build it up. I plan to go to the park tomorrow and will take a distance photo of the nest tree for comparison.

There was an eagle in the nest when I arrived on March 6th but before I could get my camera focused on the nest the eagle flew out. An eagle came back into the nest a few minutes later and I saw the 2nd one soaring overhead. I thought it was going to land in the nest tree but it flew over the trees and out of sight. I managed to get a couple of pics of the one that came into the nest.

Beacon Hill Eagle1 6 Mar..JPG
Beacon Hill Eagle2 6 Mar..JPG

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:06 pm

Fund Drive for Hard Drives

Good afternoon, everyone! I have just learned that we do not have the hard drives we need to record our cams as we approach little chick time - and we do not have the funds necessary to buy them.

These are the high resolution drives that are connected directly to the cams at the site, making it possible to record high quality videos of events at the nests - and we usually have them up and running before the eggs are laid. As you know, we already have eggs at three of our four nests, and they are likely any day now at the fourth nest - so time is of the essence.

Our tech person Ken is estimating that it will cost about $7000 to buy the high quality, high capacity drives needed for our 9 cams, and while we are keeping up with our regular monthly expenses, we don't have the extra money needed to buy and install the hard drives.

I know this is a hard time financially for many of us, with many businesses closed - but it may also be a time when some of us are staying home and watching the eagles after cancelling planned trips or dinners out - and I'd like to ask those who can to contribute towards these hard drives.

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat May 09, 2020 9:01 am

I went to the park yesterday but did not see or hear the eagles. After wandering around and taking a few photos of the nest, I decided to wander back to my vehicle. Just as I got there I looked up and saw an eagle flying overhead, towards the nest tree area. Having parked my vehicle on the opposite side of the park I decided to drive around to the other side and spotted an adult perched beside the nest. I managed to discover a better vantage point to view this new nest; standing in the roadway :roll:
Beacon Hill Nest(1) 8 May.JPG
Beacon Hill Eagle(2) 8 May.JPG
Beacon Hill Eagle(3) 8 May.JPG

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”