Report Cams Down and Forum Errors

Report cams up/down or if you need technical assistance.
Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Re: Report Cams Down and Forum Errors

Post by Sandy_W » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:03 pm

4:58 pm Regarding the Delta cam views: I just noticed I am seeing these blue and red dots in the upper left hand corner of each cam window. I can't seem to get rid of them and they are showing up in the s'caps. I know they used to appear when I first open the cams and would disappear but now are staying there. Does it have something to do with subscribing to the HWF youtube channel? I tried subscribing and unsubscribing but that didn't help the dots to go away. Does not show up using youtube though. Got any idea how to get rid of them as I like to view both cams at the same time but without the dots?
Thanks,
Sandy
2019-11-19_17-34-36.jpg
“Eagles: When they walk, they stumble. They are not what one would call graceful. They were not designed to walk. They fly. And when they fly, oh, how they fly, so free, so graceful. They see from the sky what we never see.” – Unknown

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:30 pm

Sandy_W wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:03 pm
4:58 pm Regarding the Delta cam views: I just noticed I am seeing these blue and red dots in the upper left hand corner of each cam window. I can't seem to get rid of them and they are showing up in the s'caps. I know they used to appear when I first open the cams and would disappear but now are staying there. Does it have something to do with subscribing to the HWF youtube channel? I tried subscribing and unsubscribing but that didn't help the dots to go away. Does not show up using youtube though. Got any idea how to get rid of them as I like to view both cams at the same time but without the dots?
Thanks,
Sandy
2019-11-19_17-34-36.jpg
Thanks, Sandy - and hmm :chin: I'm seeing those at Surrey now as well, and it hadn't registered because I'd always seen the colored circles when I logged into YouTube as an admin - but having them in the feed is new. I have a medical appointment tomorrow (not serious, but time consuming), and will try to follow up on this in the next day or two.

Please feel free to post again or send me a pm if you don't hear from me by Friday. Thanks!

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:18 pm

Sandy_W wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:03 pm
Thanks,
Sandy
2019-11-19_17-34-36.jpg
I am also seeing them at H Mills and SR also !

We are getting this on Berry Eagles
screenshot_08.jpg

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Post by Sandy_W » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:55 am

3:48 am Thanks, Judy and IrishEyes. So this is what I noticed from another cam, the SWFL eagle cam. The dot wasn't there until Monday evening that I can remember. Wonder if it has something to do with the recent youtube changes and now is some sort of indicator providing cam info? Maybe it has something to do with embedded cams from youtube? Looks like this cam includes a picture of the eagles where what we see are circles with heads. Makes one scratch a head for sure.
2019-11-20_5-47-46.jpg
“Eagles: When they walk, they stumble. They are not what one would call graceful. They were not designed to walk. They fly. And when they fly, oh, how they fly, so free, so graceful. They see from the sky what we never see.” – Unknown

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:04 am

Hi Sandy' . you are right .it is You Tube offering a way for all to subscribe to it .. JMO

Bill at Surrey Reserve saw this
screenshot_31.jpg
screenshot_31.jpg (22.2 KiB) Viewed 3306 times
I clicked on subscribe and saw this
screenshot_33.jpg
If you hold your mouse on the dots you will get what we saw

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:10 am

AT H Mills after I clicked on subscribe I got this
'
screenshot_34.jpg

Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Post by Sandy_W » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:18 am

Hi IrishEyes. Thanks for sharing. Yeah, I saw that too but in subscribing I still have the dots. It seemed to stay whether I subscribed or not. Did the dots go away for you? A puzzle to me. Maybe the dots are going to stay and possibly can change those circle dots to a picture. Judy mentioned she was going to check it out and hopefully have an answer. Smiles
2019-11-20_6-20-27.jpg

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:26 am

Sandy_W wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:18 am
Hi IrishEyes. Thanks for sharing. Yeah, I saw that too but in subscribing I still have the dots. It seemed to stay whether I subscribed or not. Did the dots go away for you? A puzzle to me. Maybe the dots are going to stay and possibly can change those circle dots to a picture. Judy mentioned she was going to check it out and hopefully have an answer. Smiles

I am not sure if the dots will stay . they are not in the way JMO ... I didn't subscribe :) It was mentioned that the dots looks like a person :)

Looking foward to Judys response ..

HAGD :)

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:37 am

I did subscribe to Melissa Adams You Tube for videos a while ago and I got this message

We’re updating our Terms of Service (“Terms”) to improve readability and transparency. This update does not change the Google Privacy Policy, nor the way we collect and process your data.
We’ve provided a summary of key changes but here’s what you can expect:
• Terms that are clearer and easier to understand with useful links to help you navigate YouTube and better understand our policies.
• Expanded commitments to notify you about changes that may affect you, such as product updates or future changes to the Terms; and
• Better alignment between our Terms and how YouTube works today.
The new Terms will take effect on 10 December, 2019. Please make sure you read the updated Terms carefully. If you would like more information, you can find additional information in our Help Center.
If you allow your child to use YouTube Kids, then please note that you are agreeing to the new Terms on behalf of your child as well.
You can always review your privacy settings and manage how your data is used by visiting your Google Account.
Thank you for being part of the YouTube community!

Updated Terms are here
https://www.youtube.com/t/terms?preview=20191210#main

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:54 pm

I saw this on the Decorah Eagles nest .Cl for bigger
screenshot_24.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:13 pm

Thank you all for your comments and patience, and thank you, Bev, for posting the info from Decorah - my own research has come to the same conclusion, and I eventually found a post about it on the YouTube Help Forum (though I have not found anything about why YouTube chose to do this - but they are not known for answering questions):
20191120_003.jpg

About all I have to add at this point is the fact that each of our cams has its own channel - and therefore its own channel icon, and that we have not added unique icons for the cam channels (though we do have one for our primary Hancock Wildlife channel where many of our videos are uploaded). As a manager or admin of our various channels, when I log into YouTube, I see a list like this of the channels I can access (there are more - these are the ones I've visited most recently):
20191120_002.jpg

WatchingEagletsGrow is my personal page, where I upload non-HWF videos (and have uploaded a number of HWF videos over the years) - and I chose a icon/avatar for it ages ago.

So - I don't know if YouTube will undo this new "feature" or make it optional - if any of you notice that SW Florida or any of the other cams on YouTube no longer have the icon, please let me know so I can look for a way to turn it off.

And if we're stuck with this, please let me know if folks would be interested in less generic looking icons and I'll see what I can do. We could have headshots of the various adults (like mine for WatchingEagletsGrow), or something more subtle like:
20191120_001.png
20191120_001.png (537 Bytes) Viewed 3463 times
That's pretty rough - if we were really using letters I'd try for something a bit more attractive, and the background would probably be invisible. It would be in a circle like the ones in my list, but I think can have a transparent background.

Anyway, let me know if you have thoughts or comments. Thanks!

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:59 pm

JudyB wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:13 pm
Thank you all for your comments and patience, and thank you, Bev, for posting the info from Decorah - my own research has come to the same conclusion, and I eventually found a post about it on the YouTube Help Forum (though I have not found anything about why YouTube chose to do this - but they are not known for answering questions):

20191120_003.jpg

About all I have to add at this point is the fact that each of our cams has its own channel - and therefore its own channel icon, and that we have not added unique icons for the cam channels (though we do have one for our primary Hancock Wildlife channel where many of our videos are uploaded). As a manager or admin of our various channels, when I log into YouTube, I see a list like this of the channels I can access (there are more - these are the ones I've visited most recently):

20191120_002.jpg

WatchingEagletsGrow is my personal page, where I upload non-HWF videos (and have uploaded a number of HWF videos over the years) - and I chose a icon/avatar for it ages ago.

So - I don't know if YouTube will undo this new "feature" or make it optional - if any of you notice that SW Florida or any of the other cams on YouTube no longer have the icon, please let me know so I can look for a way to turn it off.

And if we're stuck with this, please let me know if folks would be interested in less generic looking icons and I'll see what I can do. We could have headshots of the various adults (like mine for WatchingEagletsGrow), or something more subtle like:
20191120_001.png
That's pretty rough - if we were really using letters I'd try for something a bit more attractive, and the background would probably be invisible. It would be in a circle like the ones in my list, but I think can have a transparent background.

Anyway, let me know if you have thoughts or comments. Thanks!
Thanks so much Judy for your work on this...

Pittsburgh Hays has this
screenshot_42.jpg
I cropped it
screenshot_43.jpg
screenshot_43.jpg (22.14 KiB) Viewed 3457 times
]

My thoughts are I like yours on Watching Eaglets Grow or Two eagles like Pittsburgh Hays and SWFL.

Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Post by Sandy_W » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:36 am

Thanks so much, Judy, for checking on this new youtube "thing." If you want some help with some design, please let me know.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:32 pm

Thanks, Sandy - if the icons end up being permanent, I'd love to have help!

I have been keeping the Surrey Reserve embedded cams up 24/7 - the North cam there seems to pixelate less often since I've been doing that, though I'll be the first to say that is not logical. But a few years ago, there were a couple of weeks that all the cams at Harrison Mills (including the direct links) seemed to go down when no one was watching the embedded cams; eventually things went back to normal at HM, and I'm hoping the SR North cam will continue to need less rebooting once I stop this experiment.

And the reason I'm mentioning this is that I'm not seeing the icons on the SR cams, though I was a couple of hours ago. I took a quick look with a different browser, and they're still there, but it's possible that after some amount of time, they go away (I reloaded the page at 8:21 am, so about 7 hours ago). They were there when I opened the cams in a new window, so I'm thinking it's a function of time; using the dvr doesn't change that - just refresh/reload.

Intriguingly, the icons aren't there if you go to YouTube - though it's possible they'll be adding them at some time; while I was using Google to try to find out why we were seeing the icons, I found a video discussion a change to how YouTube was going to show the Subscribe button - which is part of the icon thing. Maybe.

Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Post by Sandy_W » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:42 pm

Oh my, Judy, it is hard to tie down the solution to the issue when the parts keep moving around. Thanks for all checking. I did some spot goggling today and didn't come up with anything that made sense to me. Hard to find an answer as one thing leads to another description and I ended up going around in circles.

Return to “Technical Help”