NCTC - Shepherdstown, West Virginia, 2017-2018

To store all archived 'Other North American Eagle Cams' topics

Moderator: N Amer Eagle Cam TA's

Debs
Forum Assistant

Re: NCTC - Shepherdstown, West Virginia - 2018

Post by Debs » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:30 pm

Feb 27, 2018

Upsetting news tonight ... Belle looks to be sporting an injury tonight ... likely a territorial dispute. There has been an intruder eagle bothering our pair ... its been ongoing for a few weeks already!!

Here is a couple of videos that show Belle is have mobility issues ... i am heartbroken ... please keep Belle in your thoughts and prayers tonight. Terri and i both came to the same conclusion so i sent a message to Steve Chase so they are aware. Hopefully we are wrong.

:vid:
Mating Off Nest - Switch - Belle's Mobility - Feb 27, 2018 - NCTC Eagles
https://youtu.be/WnJi_mxMN94

Belle's Mobility - Possible Injury - Feb 28, 2018 - NCTC Eagles
https://youtu.be/P-Hu1MA-8YQ

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:44 am

February 28, 2018

10:36 am
Nest is empty. I haven't read the info about the current cam - if the red bar is for rolling it back, I tried that and saw no change in the nest over whatever period of time it shows. It's overcast, so I can't use shadows to judge passing of time. I'm not seeing the egg, but there seems to be a lot of nest material where I think it is, so it's probably covered or blocked from cam view.

10:41 am
Adult arrived - I think Belle because she does seem to be having trouble moving now that she's there.
20180228_004.jpg
20180228_005.jpg
She(?) has called a couple of times; I haven't heard a response.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:14 am

Belle flew off at 11:08. While I was trying to fiddle with the rewind to watch her go (didn't work - the feed is slightly choppy and she was there one second and gone the nest so no view of her legs), Smitty arrived, and as of 11:13 he's incubating the egg.
20180228_007.jpg
20180228_008.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:21 am

Belle arrived at 11:14 and is calling.
20180228_009.jpg

I tried to rewind to see her feet as she came in.

20180228_010.jpg

And got totally lost. As of 11:18, I think this is Smitty perched on the side of the nest near the cam, and Belle is perched on the back side of the trunk of the tree. I think.
20180228_011.jpg

And I'm afraid I need to do a bunch of other things, so will try to keep one eye on the cam, but won't be able to post that much.

11:24 am
Spirit off to the left at 11:24 and calling; Belle (or someone) still perched mostly out of sight behind the trunk of the tree.

Debs
Forum Assistant

Post by Debs » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:34 am

Judy wonderful to see you here and thank you so much for checking in on Belle ... i am so worried about her.

Here are my nest observations from this morning.

I posted a few videos on utube too.

Feb 28, 2018 - NCTC - We continue to worry for Belle as she appears to have an injury to her leg or foot, which was observed after dark last night when she came to the nest to take over for the night. Belle has been defending the nest from an intruder and it appeared she gave chase on several occasions so an injury is not surprising. Terri and i did some videos that show Belle is struggling with her mobility. This morning Belle left the nest and went up to the attic; she never walked around the nest so we were unable to see the extent of her injury. During the night although dark i could see Belle was not incubating the egg very much if at all ... as she appeared to struggle even more when she attempted to sit down to incubate ... her wings would span out to balance her body ... so i think she chose just to stay clear of the egg or that is how it appeared to me.
Steve Chase of NCTC has been notified and there are lots of eyes on Belle ... we are storming the heavens praying that whatever is causing Belle problems heals quickly. I am heading south today and will be gone for a few days ... if you are watching please leave a nest observation, screen capture or a report from the ground (from our dedicated locals) to help us update everyone following this nest ... thanks and wishing Belle and Smitty aka Shep or Ben a positive outcome here!!! I hope the Intruder is gone!!!

Nest Observations
550 am - Belle is in the same place she was from when she had the poop shoot earlier; she has not moved to the egg cup region.

616 am - Belle calls for a switch; she flies out of the nest (never walked at all so no visual of her injury) as she exits from the nest we see Dad fly out of the attic.

617 am - Dad flies into the nest lands near 7 o'clock. Dad approaches the egg cup area he looks down and gives the egg a look then it appears he rolls the egg so we know the egg is intact ... hooray! Dad repositions himself finding the comfee spot then he settles into incubating the egg.

655 am - Dad is incubating .. he rises up and checks the egg appears to roll the egg; the crib rails are high so we cannot see the egg but his behavior indicates its there :-) Dad positions himself and resumes incubating again ... he is doing a good job of keeping the egg nice and warm. Quiet in the attic.

710 am - Dad was up and moved his position again now he is facing 12 oclock. Dad calls out and we see a landing in the attic; Belle is back. They greet each other with calls love how they sing to each other.

711 am - Dad is up he calls trills a few times and we can hear Belle doing the same from the attic; Dad exits the nest. Eggbert is alone.

722 am - Adult lands in the nest trilling and calling think this is Mom. Tracking and searching her territory she pans the area frequently something is there ... or very near and Belle is not happy.

725 am - Belle remains in the same place standing near 9 oclock. She bows to look doing periodically but no attempt to walk.

728 am Belle's back feathers are puffed up a bit like she is going to shuggle or shake out her feathers; but she does not ... i wonder if she is in pain.

733 am - Dad lands at 7 oclock he brought in some bedding.

1044 am - Belle is in ... as she approaches the egg cup she struggles when she puts her right foot down. Belle has trouble weight bearing ... bless her heart our hearts break for her she wants to incubate you can see it ...

1107 am - Belle is standing in the same spot; she appears to be tracking her territory as if she is watching something.

1108 am - Belle exits and Dad takes over. Dad incubates the egg.

1113 am - Belle comes flying in from across the field ... she has not problems in flight she soared into the nest and landed like nobodys business bless her heart. Both adults are on alert mode calling and trilling.

1128 am - Dad exits the nest lands in the attic by Belle; mating is heard; Belle cries and whimpers during mating so Dad's weight must hurt her leg or injury.

Debs
Forum Assistant

Post by Debs » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:38 am

Belle Injury - Trouble Weight Bearing - Possibly Right Leg - Feb 28 2018
https://youtu.be/7navphNQ98w

Mating - May Cause Pain for Belle - Feb 28 2018 - NCTC Eagles
https://youtu.be/Y2rp9AnXOT4

Debs
Forum Assistant

Post by Debs » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:58 am

Belle flying into the nest
057 2018-02-28, 09_47_07.jpg
056 2018-02-28, 09_46_54.jpg
Belle's legs as she comes into the nest. No visible injury seen.
058 2018-02-28, 09_48_49.jpg

Debs
Forum Assistant

Post by Debs » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:15 am

210 pm - Dad is incubating. Unfortuately i have to leave now ... praying that Belle recovers quickly from her injury and that the Intruder is gone!!
A Collage Belle Injury Feb 28 2018.jpg
Look forward to your reports as i will be gone till Sunday :bye 1:

Darlene
Admin

Post by Darlene » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:48 pm

6:48 Smitty is on the nest with the intruder and there has been no sign of Belle. I hope she is ok! :luck:
Darlene, Langley, member since May 10 2006

Dino

Post by Dino » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:57 pm

On the nest with the intruder? I wonder why is not chasing the intruder away. Any idea if it is a male or female based on the size? I hope Belle is ok. I am anxious here for a positive outcome.

Darlene
Admin

Post by Darlene » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:10 pm

I am confused about the intruder because it seems smaller than Smitty in my opinion. Smitty flies off and then the intruder flies off, Smitty returns and then the intruder returns. It's sticking to him like crazy so he has been unable to incubate the egg.. It almost looks right now at 8:09 like the intruder is in the bowl incubating.
Darlene, Langley, member since May 10 2006

Dino

Post by Dino » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:15 pm

I wonder but certainly hope not that Smitty has hooked up with a sub adult female and she is taking over the nest from Belle. Would be the worst case scenario because as a young female she would not be able to help with the egg even if she wanted to. Where is Belle is the outstanding question right now, intruder or not.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:35 pm

I'm pretty sure the other eagle we were seeing was a full adult, Dino - though you may have caught something I didn't. The head looked completely white, and it's harder to be sure about the tail, but I didn't see any major dark streaks remaining. That said, it may be a young adult. And like Darlene, I thought it looked smaller than the resident adult on the nest - and when I saw both resident adults together earlier, the one with the injured leg looked bigger, suggesting it was Belle - and Debs watched them together more than I did, and she also thought it was Belle who was injured.

I'm going to post a few pictures to go with the descriptions here.

Dino

Post by Dino » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:42 pm

Thank you Judy, I am learning more about eagles everyday by following the forum and the different nests. I was so hoping these two would have a prosperous and healthy season this year. I have not given up hope and wishing them the best along with all who follow and love this nest. Come home Belle, you are missed by all.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:45 pm

From 10:40-10:50 am

This is the injured eagle. Her weight is on her left leg and the injured right foot/leg is out in front. Here are three pictures, for better ID. The first are as she landed, the others looking around. She didn't move from that spot before flying off.
20180228_004.jpg
20180228_005.jpg
20180228_006.jpg

Return to “Archive - All Other North American Eagle Cams”