The Wildlife Corner

An area to chat and keep in touch with people you meet in the more formal areas of the board

Moderator: Garden Fence TA's

Pascale

Re: EAGLE Chatters Nest

Post by Pascale » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:32 pm

oh my poor Obey. I hope she's ok !

WBSE, Sydney, SE23 right and SE24 left, 8 weeks old
:rh: :rh:
received_678637242648187.png
All scaps are courtesy of
http://dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html
or by photographers / videographers credited in my message
In love with Harriett and M Family !

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:30 am

Again a pleasure to be able to see Dion one more time :(
i hope that next year Rachel will be able to come back :luck:

A beautiful video from admiradorauna, Thanks to her :thumlft:

Explore Hog Island 2019 Nesting season
Rachel and Steve's Nesting season was full of drama triumphs and tragedies Dion will always be in our hearts Godspeed to Rachel ,Steve and Halley Praying Rachel will return fully healed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdmmjIr ... VJ3uPRpfUY

3 pics from the video
2019-09-23_11h15_48.jpg
2019-09-23_11h16_40.jpg
2019-09-23_11h16_52.jpg
:rh: E9: 7 yo / E14 :rh:
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. B.Shofstall
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Anuli's mom

Post by Anuli's mom » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:51 am

At NEFL, Samson and A2 have been nest building and have been seen mating! Looking forward to a happy season with them! The mods made a great cheat sheet to ID them:

Comparison Photos of A2 and Samson for Identification

https://images.spot.im/image/upload/q_7 ... d406488826

Anuli's mom

Post by Anuli's mom » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:52 am

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:32 am

19h00 ago
From Pot plant Owl FB page
2019-09-24_13h28_55.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/potplantowl/
I've waited as long as I could to write this entry. Months of waiting, hoping, searching...against all odds. Finally it is time to say a few words about our Pot Plant Owl family....
I've started this entry in my mind a hundred times over. Each time is different. Each starting point takes me an inch closer to the truth of what I'm feeling. This process has taken me to the knife's edge of loss and, coupled with the grief of losing my mother months earlier, has left my emotions raw.
I started off with the simple, factual entry in my mind:
“The PPO owls never returned and, presumably, the last of the PPO line in the area were taken by the Trich disease. The end.”
That didn't sound right at all, so I added in:
“We were so privileged to have the owls nest with us for over a decade but there is a season for everything in Life and it had to end eventually.”
Nope, this entry was no good either. It sounded like the final announcement for a TV show. Then I thought of what many viewers and readers might say:
“We were so lucky and have so many wonderful memories about the PPO owl family.”
Hmmm, because those memories somehow make it so much easier to process and deal with the end of the owls? I think not. The trap in that line of thinking, as I found out, is that the more you ponder on these memories from a place of raw grief and loss, the more these memories take your breath away. Try as you may, you can't exhale to find relief. So, you look the other way and try to forget.
But soon I found myself trapped by one of Life's magical laws - the one that goes:
What you resist, persists.
I looked in my phone gallery – owls. I opened my writing notes – owls. I looked in our bookshelf – owls. I cleared up my jewellery box – owls. Owl pictures, owl photographs, owl trinkets, owl salt n pepper shakers – the list goes on and on. The very first night we moved into this house, Pappa and Mamma (original PPO) visited our balcony and I fell asleep to their hoots. Until recently, this owl family has been right here – all the time. Now they are gone. And as much as I tried to keep my eyes shut and walk through my house, I couldn't do it. So, it was time to face it head on.
The next entry I tried in my head went something like this:
“I'm really sad about the loss of our owls but I know that their deaths helped educate people about diseases like Trich.”
'Sad? That's all you got?' said the voice inside my head. 'You can do better than that! Say what you are really feeling.'
So, my entry changed:
“While I am sad, I am actually pretty angry if you must know the truth. I'm frustrated that I couldn't save them, mad as heck that people in general don't seem to care about helping Nature and the Planet. I'm peeved at being unwittingly drawn into wildlife politics. Instead of just being supported and allowed to grieve, we had to defend ourselves and our actions.”
Now I'm on a roll so out it all comes:
“I wish we had known more about Trich and could have done something to prevent the owls from dying. I wish we had spent more time watching the owls in the last two years.”
Here comes the guilt:
“I wish we had never started thinking that it would be nice one year not to have to fret 24/7 about wayward owl chicks disappearing, getting trapped under cars, being attacked by dogs, getting caught in electric fences. I wish I had never said, never thought, that I wanted a small break from the responsibility that went with this PPO venture.”
Followed by the pain:
“I can't bear looking onto the balcony now. It hurts too much to take down all the perches and covers that prevented the chicks from falling off the balcony.”
We are so conditioned in society to answer “I'm fine / We're fine”, swallowing our deepest hurts and upsets. This is why now is the time to write this entry:
For people who haven't gone through it to appreciate what it is like to grieve and feel loss, and
For those of you who have followed our dear PPO family over all these years who are grieving too
Am I okay? I'm better than I was yesterday, and tomorrow I'll be better still. This is all I can hope for you out there who loved these sweet PPO owls as much as we did.
There's nothing left to say but THANK YOU to each and every one of you who followed our owls; delighted in their mischievous behaviour; revelled in their growing up and comings of age; learnt a thing or two about the owls; paid closer attention to your gardens / parks / nature reserves; made new global and local friendships; and found a place of belonging in the PPO family. You are all very special to us and we honour and appreciate every one of you.
We will keep this page open to remind people of our precious Pot Plant Owl family.
Thank you all!
Tracy (and Allan)
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Sunnybird1995

Post by Sunnybird1995 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:53 am

For the PPO family, friends and fans.
There are no words . . . . :cry1:

This morning's sunrise on the Mississippi River Flyway Cam:
https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams ... laska-cam/

Red sky in the morning . . . . sailors take warning . .
Storm fronts will move through Iowa and Minnesota.
Attachments
Screenshot (862).png
MRF cam 24 Sept 2019 Sunrise
Still looking for E9 :rh: October 12, 2019
Harriet Forever :brknhrt: March 2023

Peggy180

Post by Peggy180 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:14 am

I'm so sorry about the owls too :cry1:

Sunnybird, I wanted to thank you for introducing us to the Mississippi Flyway Cam. I have always loved geese and just love watching the Cam to see and hear them, along with eagles and the other water birds we see there. Truly beautiful and very relaxing to see.

:hug:
Best wishes,

Peggy :)
She/her

In loving memory of Ozzie & Harriet, “May you soar on eagle wings, high above the madness of the world."--Jonathan Lockwood Huie ❤️

Pascale

Post by Pascale » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:48 am

what a sadness to read this post about owls... I feel the pain of Tracy and Allan. every bird, every animal death caused by humans or disease is a tragedy. I feel so upset about climate changes and the no response to it. ok no politics so I stop.
All scaps are courtesy of
http://dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html
or by photographers / videographers credited in my message
In love with Harriett and M Family !

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:36 am

2 Superb videos from C.Sasse SassePhoto

From ALASKA
- #1: Eagle Diva - don’t you mess with her! Super slow motion
This is a super slow motion at 1000 FPS showing details as never seen before. Enjoy! Female eagles rule! #Bald Eagle #Fishing #Alaska More on Instagram www.instagram.com/sassephoto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEPc-0sASs0
2019-09-25_09h27_39.jpg
Pic from the video ©C.Sasse
- #2 : Eagle Kerfuffle- super slow motion❤️❤️🦅🦅- 1000fps -
leftover from a fishing boat. Who gets it first? Soundtrack from scene added. #video #viralvideos #elite_raptors #metalisnature #eagles #awesomevideos #wildlifephotography #naturevideos #instagramvideos #amazingphotohunter #kings_birds_ #hunting #nature #birdwatching #wow #ourplanetdaily #natgeo #natgeowild ##vancouverisawesome #baldeagle #instagram #slowmotion fishing #alaska #ocean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B17CxqIFwI
2019-09-25_09h33_03.jpg
Pic from the video ©C.Sasse
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Sunnybird1995

Post by Sunnybird1995 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:06 pm

Peggy180 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:14 am
I'm so sorry about the owls too :cry1:

Sunnybird, I wanted to thank you for introducing us to the Mississippi Flyway Cam. I have always loved geese and just love watching the Cam to see and hear them, along with eagles and the other water birds we see there. Truly beautiful and very relaxing to see.

:hug:
You are very welcome. Yes, it is very relaxing and I can leave the audio on most of the day. After E12 & E13 fledged at SWFEC, I turned to the Decorah eagles, then we watched D32, D33, DN9 rescue and rehab. So I thought I needed something different to watch. The "juvie" eagles are fun to watch.
Who knows who we will see? ;)
Still looking for E9 :rh: October 12, 2019
Harriet Forever :brknhrt: March 2023

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:31 am

Thanks to Lady Hawk for the video

SWFL Eagles~ GHO KNOCKS Into M15!! Alert Vocals Upon Return! 9.25.19
Last night at 8:52 PM a Great Horned Owl (GHO) knocks into M15 as he is sleeping on the attic branch. It wakes & startles him but fortunately did not cause him to fall off the branch. He takes off afterwards but will return at 05:11 AM. Harriet is sleeping when he flies in and both start to alert loudly.
They wake up later in the morning and Harriet will drop down to the nest first followed by M. M likes to check out the nest to make sure everything is still in place from the day before lol M will take off first heading west. Thank you for watching!
Video captured & edited by Lady Hawk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3wqY6rHCXs

Thanks Lady Hawk
Last edited by Philjo56France on Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:33 am

Tonight, one video from Deeagle55

9/26/19.. SWFLEC~ 3 Cam Views~1:44:54 am GHO Knocks Harriet Off The Branch
At 1:44:54 am , Harriet is knocked off the branch. 3 cam views, Cam 1, 360 and Pond cam
Thank You Dick Pritchett Real Estate for the cam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgSz_u6n_jU

Merci Deeagle55
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:59 am

The GHO came back tonight again
Video from Lady Hawk
2019-09-27_09h53_02.jpg
SWFL Eagles ~The **Great Horned Owl** Comes Back To The Nest Tonight! 9.26.19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJS5B_4E3D0
A GHO flies in to Harriet and M's nest tonight sitting on the left hand side!! The owl looks right at the cam before flying off. Pond cam 3 captures the arrivals & departures of the owl.
The GHO comes back and this time lands on the snag tree for a couple of minutes before flying to the nest tree and landing on the spike branch! Excellent closeup coverage of the owl! He/she takes off and so far has not come back to the nest tonight.
This is most likely the same owl that attacked Harriet and knocked her from the branch and also attacked M15 a few days ago as well. The owl is territorial and appears to looking to takeover the nest. Harriet and M are roosting in the west pasture tonight fortunately. Thank you for watching!
Video captured & edited by Lady Hawk

Thanks Lady Hawk
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Peggy180

Post by Peggy180 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:09 am

:ohmy:
Best wishes,

Peggy :)
She/her

In loving memory of Ozzie & Harriet, “May you soar on eagle wings, high above the madness of the world."--Jonathan Lockwood Huie ❤️

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:17 pm

At Melbourne, the hatching isn't so far now and i'm sure (no sound here) Mom can hear her little ones sometime (4 eggs)…
2019-09-29_08h13_30.jpg
2019-09-29_08h13_49.jpg
2019-09-29_08h14_45.jpg
https://www.367collinsfalcons.com.au/
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Return to “Garden Fence Chat”