Delta2 2018 -2019 Observation and Discussion Thread

Camera discussion for the Delta2 nest in Delta, British Columbia

Moderator: Delta 2 TA's

SueB
Zoomer

Re: Delta2 2018 -2019 Observation and Discussion Thread

Post by SueB » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:52 am

6:50 am - I meant to post this earlier....just wanted a current s'cap of the nest this morning. This way we can tell if anything has changed throughout the day. If Trooper is in he will leave his mark with another branch.
2019-07-30 09_50_25-Greenshot.jpg

Darlene
Admin

Post by Darlene » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:29 am

7:29 I just took a quick look around and there was no sign of eagles anywhere.
Darlene, Langley, member since May 10 2006

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:37 am

Good Morning Darlene! It looked like you had found an adult inside the center tower.....they flew off though at 7:22 am.

7:22 am - here they are
2019-07-30 10_26_35-Greenshot_LI_Moment.jpg
2019-07-30 10_26_47-Greenshot_LI_Moment.jpg
2019-07-30 10_33_25-Greenshot.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:05 am

Good morning, everyone! Ken is on his way to Delta, and hopes to be able to switch the internet service there to the higher-speed fiber optic system. The cams will be offline at least briefly while he does that.

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:20 am

JudyB wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:05 am
Good morning, everyone! Ken is on his way to Delta, and hopes to be able to switch the internet service there to the higher-speed fiber optic system. The cams will be offline at least briefly while he does that.

Thank you Judy! Fingers crossed this helps our situation here with cams going off so much! Thanks to Ken who works hard to keep our cams up and running! :ty:
"Volunteers do not necessarily have the time..............they have the heart"..........Elizabeth Andrew

(Member since 9/10/11)

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:23 am

9:21am........... :wave: Good morning Delta2 friends! Thanks Sandy, Darlene and Sue for checking on our nest situation this morning! Looks like Trooper is out there, still patrolling the area to ensure that it is well known that this nest is taken!

Lovely summer day here...........a bit of a breeze.
1.JPG
"Volunteers do not necessarily have the time..............they have the heart"..........Elizabeth Andrew

(Member since 9/10/11)

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:27 am

9:25am..........Checked the rollback..........no sign of any eagles in the nest today so far!

As the rollback shows uninterrupted stream for many hours we can conclude the cams have not gone off. As they will likely go off when Ken is there working on things, I will not take the cams at this time.

Back later. :bye 1:

(Member since 9/10/11)

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:51 am

10:49 am
Cams are still streaming. I checked the dvr back to Jean's post, and did not see any visits to the nest.

I know the last time Ken was meeting someone at the site, they gave a four-hour window for when they'd arrive, rather than a specific time - so he may be sitting in a shady spot reading a book or something while he waits for them.

Added -
It's now 11:23, and I've been watching since 10:49 and the cams are still streaming and I haven't seen or heard any eagles. And now I'm away from the computer for a bit.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:09 am

It seems like only yesterday that Dee, the first chick to hatch at the nest built by HWF in the first Bald Eagle Reserve in British Columbia, broke free from her shell.

(April 14 image courtesy of IrishEyes)

And it was July 5 when she took flight, carrying with her the hopes and dreams of those who have been working to find ways to save space for the eagles and other wildlife as more of the lower mainland of BC is developed.

Dee and her sister Ess have now set out to explore the world - and the camera that let us watch them hatch needs cleaning (note blobs in upper right).

And it's not the only camera or nest that needs some work, so....

Cam Maintenance Matching Drive Starts Now!

As many of you know, Delta 2 and Harrison Mills are viewer-sponsored nests - and we ideally need to raise $5000 for each of them to cover annual maintenance and the ongoing expenses of internet fees and site visits. It would be absolutely wonderful if we could raise $10,000 in this drive - and that may be a bit optimistic, but the closer we get, the less we'll need to raise later.

We didn't have eggs at Harrison Mills - last year's male returned with a new female, and they've done a lot of work on the nest so I have a good feeling about next year - doesn't that nest look inviting?

(July 29 image of Dad at the nest by IrishEyes)

We haven't been able to clean the cams at Harrison Mills for a couple of years - last year Dad and his new mate came back early so we had to call off the maintenance. Happily the cams are still streaming - but their dome covers are badly in need of cleaning.

The dome covers at Delta 2 need more than cleaning - as you can see in the picture below, there's a bit of a yellow/sepia tinge to everything that didn't go away when we cleaned them last year - and this year we are hoping to replace them.

(June 16 image of Bella and Coola waiting for breakfish courtesy of Sandy_W)

We would also like to replace the covers on the older cams at Harrison Mills and White Rock, but unfortunately they've been discontinued and we have not yet found a source. If anyone knows where to find stuff like that, please let me know; the cams are Vivotek Model SD8362E and there are four of them in all.
How to Donate

Happily some long-time friends of HWF are willing to match the first $1000 raised in the next three days - so if you adopt Delta 2, Harrison Mills, Surrey Reserve or White Rock for next year for $250, Hancock Wildlife will get $500!

The easiest way to adopt a nest is to
  • go to the "Donations" page on our website (https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/)
  • click the "Donate via CanadaHelps Now!" link
  • enter the amount of your donation ($250 to adopt the nest of your choice for the coming year)
  • pick "Adopt a Nest" from the Fund list
  • use the message box to say which nest you are adopting and how you would like your name to be listed
  • fill in your contact information and credit card details, and
  • click "Complete Donation Now"
And if this isn't a good time for adopting a nest, you can also make a donation of any amount to the "Eagle Cams/General Repairs" fund or you can make a monthly donation by changing the highlighted box at the top of the page from "Donate Now" to "Donate Monthly." Many of the funds have a suggested amount - but that is just a suggestion. The amount you put in the Amount box is what you'll donate.

You don't need to be in Canada to use CanadaHelps - and the rate of exchange right now is favorable to those of us in the United States - a donation of $250 Canadian dollars is currently about $200 US dollars, so if you give $250 through CanadaHelps (or PayPal), HWF gets $250 Canadian dollars, and the cost to you is based on the current rate of exchange.

You can also use the other methods on the Donations page, but it's not as easy to provide all the information, so if you're sending a check or planning to give a donation directly to someone at HWF, please let me ([email protected]) or gemini ([email protected]) know a donation is coming so it gets included in the matching drive.

And if you have any questions about any of this, please do contact me or gemini and we'll be happy to help.

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:12 pm

12:11pm...............Thanks Judy...........the cams have continued to stream without going off!

I will be brave and take a brief look around, hoping they don't go down during this time!

IN on both cams.

(Member since 9/10/11)

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:26 pm

12:25pm............I was IN on both cams for about 15 minutes..........took a quick look around the usual spots our eagles perch. Absolutely no sign of anyone, not even any neighbours. All I hear is the wind.

I am now OFF both cams.

(Member since 9/10/11)

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:56 pm

1:55pm......Cams are currently offline and have been for about 40 minutes. Hopefully Ken is here working on the new internet connections! :luck:

(Member since 9/10/11)

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:30 pm

3:30pm...............Cams are back................IN on both cams.

Cams came back at 2:03pm. Nothing on the rollback since the cams came back on.

(Member since 9/10/11)

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:35 pm

3:27 pm
Ken has indeed been there - and we are now on a faster, hopefully more stable connection!

It may be partly my imagination/wishful thinking - but I'm thinking that the East cam especially is looking sharper than it did! :)

Let me know how the controls work.

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:48 pm

3:47pm..............For the past few days we've been seeing an eagle or two inside the middle tower during the afternoon.......NOT today......no one there.
1.JPG

(Member since 9/10/11)

Return to “Delta #2 ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam”