Surrey Reserve 2018-2019 Observation and Discussion

Camera discussion for the Surrey Reserve nest in Surrey, British Columbia

Moderator: Surrey Reserve TA's

JudyB
Admin

Re: Surrey Reserve 2018-2019 Observation and Discussion

Post by JudyB » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:35 am

Good morning, everyone! Thanks for the morning reports, Bev and Marg, and thanks for starting our day, nightowl! Glad you got some videos, gemini - and I wouldn't be surprised if Dee had something to say about Ess being fed! And I agree, Beth - the tree looks a bit odd with only one eaglet.

I was watching Ess while I had breakfast and planned to go back for some screenshots, but Ess was in a helpful mood and re-enacted some of the things I saw. I was pretty sure I saw her sitting on the little perch where the adults sometimes spend the night - and she just gracefully flew up to that perch from the nest!
20190706_001.jpg

I think today is the first time I've seen either eaglet there - and now Ess has been there at least twice. The picture is while she was turning around after landing.

And while I was having breakfast I noticed her on the branch that goes off from the upper perch - and she helpfully went out there again so I could get a picture.
20190706_002.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:45 am

Looking back on the dvr....

An adult arrived at 5:09 am
20190706_003.jpg

And Ess jumped down a minute later.
20190706_004.jpg

North was pretty pixelated, so I don't know which adult this was - I'm leaning towards Mom Res because I didn't see any black spot on the tail as she flew in (though it was a quick glimpse) and because she stepped back when a huge eaglet landed beside her and Sur (sometimes) flies out of the way.

North does occasionally resolve - and I think the delivery was a flounder, and Ess is hungry because she's busy eating it.
20190706_005.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:56 am

Continuing....

Mom, I think, returned at 5:32 am, and I think fed Ess from the flounder. Or she may have brought something - it looked as if she moved something to where she was feeding, and I think I see the flounder sitting there on the side.
20190706_006.jpg

I managed to get a couple of pictures off North - Ess is big!
20190706_007.jpg
20190706_008.jpg

I did not hear any calls while Mom was in the nest feeding Ess - but it's already hot and muggy (by Maine standards) so we have the a/c on and it's hard to hear much.

Mom went up to the little perch at 5:52 and then flew off - maybe a reason Ess flew up there this morning, being reminded that it's a thing big eagles do!

It's now 7:55 am, and I didn't see any additional visits. I'm rebooting the North cam.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:01 am

Hiding in the leaves....
20190706_009.jpg

I'm going in on the North cam to look around.

BillA

Post by BillA » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:04 am

Is Ess handsome, or what?
Handsome Ess.jpg
Handsome Ess.jpg (82.09 KiB) Viewed 3016 times
Handsome Ess 2.jpg
Handsome Ess 2.jpg (65.71 KiB) Viewed 3016 times
Handsome Ess 3.jpg
Handsome Ess 3.jpg (81.23 KiB) Viewed 3016 times

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:31 am

Handsome indeed, Bill - lovely pictures of Ess!

I didn't see anything in my journey with the North cam - and since it seemed a bit tired by the time we were done, I'm rebooting it.

Then I'll take a quick peek with South - or maybe just keep an eye on Ess.

Wider view of where Ess is - she definitely could go higher on the branch, if she could get past the leaves. Which she may pick off one by one - who knows what an eaglet might do!
20190706_012.jpg

Busy flapping.
20190706_013.jpg

8:44 am
Ess is in the nest eating something - I think part of the flounder.

Here's the current Home position for South, showing a bit further up the branch where she's been perching.
20190706_014.jpg

I'm out of both cams and away from the computer for a while, though I may peek on my iPad when I can.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:54 am

Well, before I go....

Adult in at 8:47 - I think Mom Res with food.
20190706_015.jpg

She flew up to the little perch afterwards - I've often wondered if adults perch prominently near the nest to help guide fledglings back.
20190706_017.jpg

I think the food item is part of a fish.
20190706_016.jpg

And now I do need to do other things. It's 8:53, Ess is eating and Res is sitting on the little perch, looking around.

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:48 am

Good morning everyone, lovely pictures everyone. Bill, those are lovely of Ess along in the nest and yes! she is beautiful!
That's the first time I have seen either Eaglet that far up the tree o another branch. I wonder if she will pick the leaves off ( as Judy said ) and go up further. only time will tell.

I was hoping to find Dee back at the nest this morning but not!

I see a large fish head there Judy, was there more? or just the head. I again wonder if its from a fisherman fishing?

Thanks, Irisheyes for posting todays weather report and have a great day.

I m off, the kids will be coming soon...lol 53 years old but still our kids..lol. Take care and I will see you all later.

Good luck to Dee. Stay safe.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:18 am

10:04 am
Dee has found another little perch sticking out from the nest.
20190706_018.jpg

There was another visit by an adult at 9:42 am, and I thought I heard calls while Ess was moving the flounder to her eating place - though now I'm less sure of that; the sound on South isn't always in sync.
20190706_019.jpg

It occurred to me that if Dee were trying to come back to the nest, she might first perch somewhere below the nest - so for the moment I've pulled South back to try to show some possible perches lower down without compromising the neighbors' privacy. It will also provide a wider view if Ess decides to go to Dee (which could happen, though Ess is in a nice place right now - whole nest to herself and lots of food so far today!).
20190706_020.jpg

Unfortunately for my eagle watching, I'm going to need to leave around 1 pm today, and won't be back until sometime tomorrow morning.

I'll bring my laptop in case something needs rebooting when I'm near a wifi connection - but that may not be very often (my husband's group is performing sea shanties and drinking songs this evening, and we have a room for the night - it will be a fun evening, but I wish Dee had checked with me before fledging to make sure I didn't have other plans!)

Beth, the fish head may have been a bit bigger, but not much, so I'm guessing it's something cast aside by someone who was fishing.

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:13 am

Thanks, Judy, enjoy your time away. I also have to be away today as our kids are coming, I worry about Dee. And I see Ess practising balance on that branch. She is doing very well. I would imagine Dee is getting a bit hungry by now. I hope all is well.. always something to worry about..lol. Stay safe Dee.

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:25 am

11:17 am another, flapping flounder was brought to the nest and like the others, not much interest from Ess. Last I looked its close to the edge..lol.

Res is sure bringing a lot of food to the nest his morning. Maybe she can see Dee from where she is and is coaxing him in?

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:48 am

There are never any guarantees, Beth - but most of the eaglets we've watched have done fine. There have been times when it's taken a week or so before a fledgling returns to the nest (that's more common with what we call a "fludge" - an unintentional fledge when an eaglet near fledging gets bumps or misses a landing or misjudges the wind and ends up out of the nest. Dee's fledge was very intentional - but she had not done much flying to higher branches (why fly to the upper perch when you can walk!) so she may need to build up a bit of muscle strength before she can make it back up to the nest.

We do know that the adults will feed the fledglings wherever they are, at least for a few weeks (and from all I've seen, usually it's the fledglings who decide it's time to move on - not because there's no more food being provided here, but just because it's time. Like it was time for Dee to fly away from the nest even though she knew it was a reliable source of food.

To ramble on a bit, these parents remind me of our original Harrison Mills adults in that these adults and the Harrison Mills adults don't spend much time on the nest once their chicks are big enough to be left alone. In comparison, there was often an adult perched on one of the branches beside the Delta 2 nest when the eaglets were almost full-sized. I know the Harrison Mills adults and these adults were both near and keeping an eye on the nest - but my impression is that it's not their favorite place to hang out. Our first chick at Harrison Mills was a solo chick named Birdie (the nest is on a golf course and the chicks are given golf terms for names) - and her first flight was towards the river where the adults perched, and I think she only returned to the nest once after fledging, took a nap - and left again. She had a tuft of feathers sticking up like our Mom Res does, but Birdie's was much more prominent, so we actually could see her flying with the adults down by the river for a week or so.

If we only had one chick here this year, I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened here - but the years that there were two chicks at Harrison Mills, the first to fledge would come back for food because the other one was being fed there - and by the time the second one fed, the first one was used to eating on the nest, so lured the second one back! And that's what I'm hoping to see here.

Sur was in at 11:12 with a really big flounder - and after a couple of minutes, Ess came down and chased him off "her" nest.
20190706_024.jpg

She looked at the fish for a few minutes, then walked away.
20190706_025.jpg

It's now 11:48 am and Ess is on the East perch, and the flounder is untouched except for a bit of nibbling by Sur.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:58 am

11:51 am
There are lots of dark spots in this area - but they aren't eagles.
20190706_026.jpg

And while I was looking, one of the adults arrived and is beginning to eat the flounder.
20190706_027.jpg

Ess has moved in from the perch and is being very vocal, but I think Ess has decided the adult can stay if he(?) feeds her. Or maybe not - Ess pulled another older flounder out from under the adult, and is working on that. And I think the adult was standing on the newer, bigger fish, but feeding from the older one. I'm not sure which adult it was - I'm thinking Sur, but didn't have a good look. Ess is mantling/fluffed up a bit, and the adult is slightly turned - but Ess looks a whole lot bigger.
20190706_028.jpg

It's now 11:58 and Ess is working on the earlier flounder.

BillA

Post by BillA » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:15 pm

BillA

Post by BillA » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:35 pm

One more and I'll leave y'all alone....for a while 😉
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPgZvyhPBFY

Return to “Surrey Reserve ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam”