Ma & Pa Sidney BC Bald Eagles -Patricia Bay - 2017-2018 Season

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
Deewerms

Re: Ma & Pa Sidney BC Bald Eagles -Patricia Bay - 2017-2018 Season

Post by Deewerms » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:48 pm

hi Elle, Kay, Judi and all, nice to be here, but sad to read the new news :ohmy: but that just happened to Deb and I, had intruders take over our Belle and Smittys nest, injured Belle so she could no longer protect her egg and kept her away from the nest, and Smitty seemed not able to do anything either, is awful when you're watching a nest for many years and then this happens, but that is the way it is, you never know :( nice pics and posts here of whoever, ty Elle and Kay, I will stay here anyway for now, see what happens, loved all pix and posts, ty again

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:53 pm

I went to visit Ma & Pa today with 2 of my birding friends. They were perched in different trees on the property adjacent to the Epicure property; one in the same snag I have photographed them in on 2 previous visits, and the other one a few trees to the right. A short while later the one in the tree to the right flew to the top of the snag and they chatted back and forth for a few minutes. We thought they were going to get together for a mating but they just sat there enjoying the sunshine :thumlft: There was no sign of any eagles at the new nest on Towner Park Rd. but the nest did look bigger than it did last year. Sadly, part of the top of the perch tree at the beach end of the Epicure property has broken off. I have photographed both Ma & Pa separately and together in that tree many times. We were able to see the nest in the snag from the south end of the property and there were no eagles in it. I have to admit that I am certain the female is not our same Ma but is a fine looking eagle. I'll have a closer look at my photos later.

We saw a beautiful Red-tailed Hawk perched in one of the trees Ma & Pa used to perch in on the Epicure property. I'll post some photos later.
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:10 am

sassyk: I think we can safely say our Ma is no longer at Pat Bay for whatever reason. But did you think the male is our Pa or is this a new pair altogether? I thought for sure they were nesting at the old Epicure nest as they were seen there but if they were both out together yesterday then perhaps not. I think the female is young and maybe not ready yet.
So many changes :(
Be the change that you want to see in the world. – Mohandas K. Gandhi

Vancouver Island Contact and
Member since August 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:43 am

This is the eagle perched a few trees to the right of the same snag I photographed them in the
previous 2 times I visited. The photo is a bit blurry; I had to find an opening through the trees.
IMG_1305 - Copy.JPG

The same eagle as above at the top of the snag looking down at the other eagle. The beak on
this one is larger than Ma or Pa's beak.
IMG_1329 - Copy.JPG

This is the same eagle at the top of the snag and it is definitely not our Ma or Pa. The head is
too small and narrow.
IMG_1335 - Copy.JPG
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:49 am

This is the other eagle perched lower down on the snag. In some of my photos
this one did look like our Pa; in others it didn't. I'm still not convinced it is or isn't.
IMG_1303 - Copy.JPG

Same eagle, calling to the one that was in the tree to the right of the snag.
IMG_1307 - Copy.JPG

Both eagles in the snag.
IMG_1330 - Copy.JPG

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:20 pm

We drove by Pat Bay and both Towner Park and Epicure nests on Tuesday March 27 in early afternoon.
Nothing at Towner Park
But Pa, I think, was above the Epicure nest and his new mate, I also think, was incubating in the nest.
Pa and New lady Epcicure nest March 27-2018.jpg
Pa and New Ma Epicure nest March 27-2018.jpg

Member since August 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:04 pm

The new lady eagle looks like a large capable eagle. Thank you for sharing your musings, sightings and wonderings. Once established with eggs/young in the nest you might have a better opportunity to determine what is going on with whom. So much drama we endure with our eagles. :w00t:

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:23 pm

Thanks Sandra. I hoped I would never see the day when either Ma or Pa (or both) did not return to the nest but after 12 years and especially after the brutal battles that ensued last year it was inevitable to happen one day. :cry1:
We know the male secures the territory and the female chooses the nest site within that territory so this new young female appears to have chosen the Epicure nest. And inasmuch as many of us feel that particular nest in a dead tree is a bad choice , it has , against all odds , stood the test of time and many storms. It is somehow protected . :puzz:
I do think this is still our Pa and I do think this is a new mate for him.
I wish them well and whatever might have happened to Ma ; I thank her for her many years with us and for her many offspring.

Member since August 2006

Deewerms

Post by Deewerms » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:53 pm

Elle and Kay, thank you both for all your reports and obs. with many pics, great keeping us all informed and very appreciated :thumlft: will stay around and see what occurs, and see if you both decide if this is definitely dad or not. my heart is broken for ma :( hope she is ok somewhere and happy also, with or without dad

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:13 pm

elle, Doreen & Sandra

I got very emotional (actually shed a few tears) at seeing another eagle incubating in Ma's nest :brknhrt: I hope she is not suffering somewhere and if she has passed away, I know her spirit will always be soaring over the Pat Bay area.

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:33 pm

Went to Pay Bay this afternoon. It was supposed to be sunny and warm .... not!.... and low tide.... yes ! it was low tide and we walked the length of the beach.
There were 2 adult eagles perched together in the tree where there was once a nest on Jed-Mar Farm across from both the Epicure nest and the Towner Park nest. No eagles visible in or above either of these 2 nests. :puzz:
And the pair in the farmer's field looked like our original Ma and Pa!
There were no other eagles seen in the area.
I do not know what to think.
I will post the pictures taken this afternoon and then we can discuss.

Member since August 2006

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:13 am

Epicure nest April 3-2018.jpg
EPICURE NEST Yesterday afternoon
Towner Park Nest April 3-2018.jpg
TOWNER PARK NEST Yesterday afternoon

Member since August 2006

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:15 am

2 adult Bald Eagles perched together at Jed-Mar Farm where they had a nest for a few years. Do they look like Pa AND Ma? !

Bald Eagle adults at Jed-Mar Farm April 3-2018.jpg
Is this Ma and Pa at Jed Mar Farm April 3-2018.jpg
Attachments
Pa and possibly Ma at Jed-Mar Farm April 3-2018.jpg

Member since August 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:59 am

elle thanks for posting those photos. I guess the pair at the Epicure snag nest were just 'pretending'. It sure is a mystery what is going on out at Pat Bay :dunno: I can't tell for sure if these eagles are our original Ma & Pa, but they do look like they could be :luck: I'm hoping to visit the area before I leave for my vacation if this darned weather improves :roll:

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:55 am

There should have been a hatch or soon to be a hatch if there were eggs in the Epicure nest. I am beginning to wonder if Pa has 2 mates like the Trio nest in Illinois except in our case 2 females and a male! We did not see any other eagles in the area either. Very strange. But it would seem there will no eaglets this year either.
I do not know when you are leaving, Kay, but the weather forecast is pretty dismal for the next while. We all thought it was Spring but Mother Nature says otherwise.

Member since August 2006

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”