Beacon Hill Park Eagles, Victoria BC - 2018/2019 Season

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Beacon Hill Park Eagles, Victoria BC - 2018/2019 Season

Post by sassyk » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:59 pm

I visited the park this evening and saw one adult in the nest but no eaglets :dunno: It was a bit windy so they might have been lying down in the nest. After I had been over to the woods to see the owls, I went back to the nest and didn't see the adult or the eaglets. I hope they are OK :luck: I took photos from both sides of the nest.
IMG_3466 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3469 - Copy.JPG
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:25 am

David Hancock is pleased to invite all Hancock Wildlife Foundation volunteers and friends to celebrate

Fledgefest 2019

Sunday, August 18
1:00 pm - 5:00 pm

RSVP REQUIRED BY BY AUGUST 1ST TO:
Rosana Inacio: [email protected]
or
Sharon (gemini): [email protected]
See details HERE

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:32 am

My birding partner was at the park yesterday for approx. 90 minutes. She saw one fledged eaglet and from the north side of the nest she saw wings and tail of a large bird poking out from the side of the nest. Both adults were often in the nest or perched beside it the entire time she was there. We are hoping the 2nd eaglet is OK :luck:
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:01 pm

It's always great to have a fledge Kay. I too hope eaglet #2 is OK. :bye 1:

PGully

Post by PGully » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:07 pm

I have continued to look at the nest trying to identify the young. I thought that I saw one about five days ago but not since.The two adults were above the next early this morning. I presume that by now one or both of the young have fledged.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:58 pm

Hi PGully. Thanks for your comments.It appears that both of the eaglets have fledged :thumlft: One of the former Hancock members who visits the park quite often posted on her Facebook page on June 22nd that she thought the eaglets were gone. She went to the park on June 17th and didn't see any of the eagles. Another couple she spoke with said they also thought the eaglets had gone. After they have fledged it is very difficult to see them when they are perched in a tree; they blend right in with the trunks and branches. Usually they come back to the nest to eat and they were probably out with the parents learning to hunt and fish. I haven't been able to get over to the park lately because I pulled the muscle in my hip and wasn't able to put my full weight on it until yesterday :roll:

Hi Sandra. Yes, hoping they are both enjoying their freedom and learning to be eagles :rh:

Simon Pedicab

Post by Simon Pedicab » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:08 am

I was viewing the nest yesterday afternoon and noticed at least one person up by the nest and a lot of ropes hanging down from the tree. There were city vehicles parked around the bottom of the tree. At one point it looked like the person up by the nest pulled something about the size of a football our of the nest. He was obscured by branches so it was hard to see any detail. When I returned a couple of hour later, all signs of the previous operation were gone. Can someone in the know contact the appropriate City of Victoria officials to find out what that was all about? Thanks. I am a pedi-cabber and the eagles and their nest have been an important stop on our tour through the park. I would like to be able to tell my guest the latest chapter in their story.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:35 pm

Hi Simon thanks so much for posting your information here. I have called a few places and sent emails to a few people to ask for info as to what happened at the eagles nest. I received a call back from WildARC and they are not aware of anything. There have been a few incidences in the past of intruders and the resident eagles engaging in battles. I will update here with any information I receive.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:39 pm

I have received a reply from the Supervisor of Parks Operations regarding the situation there at the eagles nest yesterday. It is very sad news indeed :cry1: A neighbour contacted them this past Monday to say they could see the eaglets in the nest through their spotting scope but there was no movement from either eaglet. Parks staff met with Biologists from the Ministry on Wed. to discuss the situation. Parks applied for and received a permit to climb an adjacent taller tree to get a closeup look into the nest. Yesterday morning staff climbed up and sadly identified that the eaglets had died. Parks Technical Field Arborists then climbed up to recover the eaglets from the nest. The eaglets' remains were then taken to the Ministry for examination. One of the adult eagles has been observed at the nest in the past few days. I have asked the Supervisor if he will kindly pass along any information he receives from the Ministry regarding the cause of the eaglets' deaths :( I will post any additional info I receive.

Woodlands Bleu

Post by Woodlands Bleu » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:55 pm

Awww, I am so sorry to hear this, but thankful it was discovered. I hope answers come and soon. And heal Kay....Thanks to all who are concerned here and care. I saw this nest back in September so can envision it. i hope the eagles, adults, are OK.
carolyn
An upside down dog is a happy dog dreaming sweet dreams.
carolyn

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:58 pm

Thanks Carolyn :huggie: It is very sad indeed :( I plan to go to the park this weekend in hopes of seeing both adults.

PGully

Post by PGully » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:22 pm

I have just seen one of the adults circling near the nest.
It will be interesting if examination of the young reveals anything. I see that siblingcide is not uncommon but that would not explain both unless one was weak and preyed upon while the other was also underfed. Does anyone know if fish have become less plentiful recently or whether lead poisoning is still an issue?
Paul

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:06 pm

sassyk wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:39 pm
I have received a reply from the Supervisor of Parks Operations regarding the situation there at the eagles nest yesterday. It is very sad news indeed :cry1: A neighbour contacted them this past Monday to say they could see the eaglets in the nest through their spotting scope but there was no movement from either eaglet. Parks staff met with Biologists from the Ministry on Wed. to discuss the situation. Parks applied for and received a permit to climb an adjacent taller tree to get a closeup look into the nest. Yesterday morning staff climbed up and sadly identified that the chicks had died. Parks Technical Field Arborists then climbed up to recover the the eaglets from the nest. The eaglets' remains were then taken to the Ministry for examination. One of the adult eagles has been observed at the nest in the past few days. I have asked the Supervisor if he will kindly pass along any information he receives from the Ministry regarding the cause of the eaglets' deaths :( I will post any additional info I receive.
I was saddened to read this Kay, I'll be checking for any updates. :brknhrt:
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:22 pm

Hi PGully/Paul if you look back to my post of June 3rd, you will see how big the eaglets were and how healthy they looked. It is very unlikely that siblicide would have occurred at that age. There have been many incidences recently of eagles ending up at rehab centers due to eating prey containing rat poison or prey containing lead. Unfortunately, if this was the cause of the deaths of the eaglets, there was no way we would have known they were ill, with no live camera on the nest. By the time the neighbour noticed the eaglets were not moving, it was too late :( There is the possibility that the eaglets could also have been exposed to the fungus Aspergillus which causes a disease called Aspergillosis, usually in the lungs. I will post any additional info I receive.

I am happy to know that the adults are still around the nest. However, I would feel more relieved if both adults are seen in the area. Please post a message if you see both adults in the area.

Thanks Marg yes,it is very sad to lose both eaglets :(

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:21 am

So :( to read what happened to these two beauties… :cry1:
:luck: for the parents :luck:
Sassyk, i will import one or a couple of your pics to the "In Memoriam" thread if you allow me to do that. Thanks by advance.
:grhug:
:rh: E9: 7 yo / E14 :rh:
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. B.Shofstall
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”