South African Black Eagle ~ 2018-2022

Observations, scaps and videos of this nest. Look for the cam to return in May and egg laying to take place end of April early May

Moderator: South African TA's

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Re: South African Black Eagle ~ 2018

Post by nightowl » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:11 pm

This was posted by Walter Sisulu National Botanical Gardens on FB:

Breaking news - The eagles nest of more than 50 years has been swept away the recent storms, it is now just a vacant patch on the cliff. Reports are that the eagles have now started building on the new nest that they built last year.

There is a photo by Shane Wilkin, but unfortunately, we don't have his permission to share his photos. Here's a link to the post and photo.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/wsnbg/posts ... e_internal

(you'll have to scroll down a bit)
Member since May 9, 2006

JudiW

Post by JudiW » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:29 pm

Black Eagle lovers

Thulane perched next to a palm tree scape from cam
Black Eagle at Palm tree_edited_edited.jpg
Makatsa sitting on the new nest as old nest got blown away during the last storm
Black Eagle sitting on new nest_edited_edited_edited.jpg

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:48 pm

JudiW wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:29 pm
Black Eagle lovers

Thulane perched next to a palm tree scape from cam
I think those are fronds from some type of fern...I don't think palm trees grow on the side of rocks.
Member since May 9, 2006

JudiW

Post by JudiW » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:49 am

Black Eagles lovers of this nest :wave:
Makatsa on old nest_edited.jpg
Makatsa
Makatsa perched on cliff by old nest_edited.jpg
Makatsa

Juvi fish Eagle
Juvinile Fish Eagle_edited.jpg

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:50 am

Black Eagle Project Roodekrans posted an update on Facebook:

The eagles are very active at the moment, and they are refurbishing the new nest. Unfortunately you will not able to see this nest on the web-cam, but we will follow the same procedures as last year, and monitor their behavior to try and determine the date when the first egg is laid.
Member since May 9, 2006

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:06 pm

I have yet to see anyone on the nest. For that matter, I'm lucky to ever see the nest because every time I try the cam, it's off line or it's panning. :( Maybe one of these days. *sigh*
Member since May 9, 2006

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Thu May 03, 2018 12:16 am

It's about egg laying time. (anytime from late April to early May with hatching 44-45 days later) Our pair has been busy.

Black Eagle Roodekrans posted this update on Facebook.

It has been ten days since my last update, but rest assured, we are monitoring the eagles on a constant basis. They are still very actively refurbishing the nest. On arriving early this morning, I was delighted to find Makatsa feeding on the nest. We have observed this behavior before shortly before egg laying, and presume it is a kind of practice for when the time comes for her to feed the chick on the nest. Please note the size of the nest, considering that they only started this nest last year. It has really turned into a mansion.
Photographing the eagles is a real nightmare because of the distance, and I really had to do a big crop. We are in autumn now, and the mornings are rather hazy, which also does not help, but I think some shots are better than none. We now also have two Peregrine Falcons in constant attendance, and giving us a lot of entertainment.

Note: There is no author listed, so due to copyright laws, I can't post the photos here...we only have Ernest Porter's permission to use his photos.
Member since May 9, 2006

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Tue May 08, 2018 2:29 am

This was posted on Facebook early Monday.

As you all know, the present position of the web-cam does not have a clear view of the new nest, and we must depend on behavioural patterns to try and determine when the first egg is laid.
We noticed on Friday that Makatsa spent practically the whole day on the nest, leaving only for very short periods of time. The same pattern followed on Saturday and Sunday.
It was the same today, and after discussion with several of the monitors, we all feel that the first egg may have been laid on Friday.
If we are correct, Thulane will be flying solo for the next 44 days.
Let us hope for another successful breeding season.

It appears there's an egg! Let's hope it's the only one. :luck:
Member since May 9, 2006

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri May 11, 2018 7:40 am

Thanks for the updates, nightowl - and for being careful of the copyright laws involved! Hoping for a good year for this pair after the hassles of losing their nest.

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Mon May 14, 2018 2:28 pm

Despite not having a webcam directly focused on the new nest, the Black Eagle Project Roodekrans can confirm that Makatsa has laid her first egg.

It was suspected on May 8, but now confirmed. Read the article here. :out: https://roodepoortnorthsider.co.za/2744 ... eason-web/
Member since May 9, 2006

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:04 am

Garth Heydenrych has photographed the chick in the nest. The chick hatched approximately June 17.

You should be able to see his photos on Facebook by going to this link

:out: https://www.facebook.com/wsnbg/photos/m ... =3&theater

More photos here

:out: https://www.facebook.com/blackeagleproj ... =3&theater
Member since May 9, 2006

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:10 am

Member since May 9, 2006

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:46 pm

Great pictures - thanks for the link, nightowl!

I had forgotten that the chicks are white initially - such a contrast with the parents! :love:

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:40 pm

Summary of 2018 nesting season

The little eaglet was named Ithemba ("Hope"), and fledged successfully on September 20, 2018. He or she was last seen in the territory around December 19 (a fledgling usually stays with the parents for about 3 months).

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:53 pm

Summary of 2019 nesting season

2019 was not a happy year. It started out normally with at least one egg laid (the eagles were again using a nest that was not easy to observe). Then the male Thulane disappeared; he was last seen on June 8, 2019. Makatsa continued to incubate her egg - and it hatched on June 13. We expected it would not survive for long, since she'd need to leave the tiny chick to hunt - but somehow Makatsa managed to provide food for the chick and herself, and keep it protected from the elements. Then, on July 13, a new male eagle was seen in the area - and began courting Makatsa. Unfortunately, his instincts were not to be a dad, and on August 4 he killed the 53-day-old eaglet and removed its body from the nest.

The new male and Makatsa are now becoming a fully bonded pair, and the male has been named Mahlori, meaning miracle.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a peaceful and happy season in 2020.

Return to “South African Black Eagle Nest”