The Wildlife Corner

An area to chat and keep in touch with people you meet in the more formal areas of the board

Moderator: Garden Fence TA's

NestFriend

Re: EAGLE Chatters Nest

Post by NestFriend » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:40 am

A Couple of Updates from Decorah North: From Donna Lucero on FB

#1) 'Morning viewers! As you can see from the featured post, RRP will be doing a welfare check on DN9. :-) DN9 certainly did not appear to be in any distress when seen yesterday. She/he was active, alert, ready to protect herself from the humans and the cows. Both parents are right in the area where we last caught sight of her and they too were ready to defend her against any and all issues. IF she/he is near the creek it's a great thing for her to be able to get drinks and stay hydrated, and the parents won't have to go far with a fish to give to her!
Until we hear more from RRP about DN9's status, it would be nice to try to stay positive and not continue to imagine and predict the worst. Just because she/he is on the ground is no reason for her to need to be rescued. It is not at all unusual for newly fledged eaglets to be stranded on the ground or near the ground for a while. And we have no idea if she/he has been negatively affected by the black fly enough to warrant attention. All the wildlife, including the adult eagles, is being affected and they seem to come through and survive.

#2) Since DN9 fell from the nest tree this morning, we have been monitoring from the cams and from the ground. Our eaglet spent much of the day beneath the nest tree and in the pasture. DN9 doesn't appear to have injured its wings or legs and is mobile, although it hasn't flown since reaching the ground. DNF and Mr. North are perched nearby and actively defending DN9.

At this point we do not know to what extent flies have affected DN9 or if its health has been significantly impacted. David Kester will be following up tomorrow morning. He is our master bander and has a great deal of experience handling and assessing birds of prey.

:luck: :grhug:
Mimi

"Nothing positive will come from being negative,
and nothing negative will come from being positive."

BonnieNY52

Post by BonnieNY52 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:39 pm

DN9 is now on h/h way to SOAR with symptoms similar to D33. Very thankful that these two will be getting the best care. Strong prayers that D32 will be found soon & also receive any needed care. Hoping with all my heart for a positive outcome for all.

What a week !!

:luck: :rh: :rh: :rh: :luck:
"It's not living if you don't reach for the sky-
I'll have tears as you take off, but I'll cheer as you fly! "

Mark Harris -- "Find Your Wings"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPQ9WvSZnF0

NestFriend

Post by NestFriend » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:13 pm

All positive thoughts and prayers for both DN9 and D33 and D32. :luck: :luck: :grhug:
Mimi

NestFriend

Post by NestFriend » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:29 pm

Philjo56France wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:32 am
Philjo56France wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:49 pm
Just a question to the E9's bunch :grhug:
What will be the purpose of the next 6th of June ? :mihihi: "My" answer on June 5 in the early morning
Sunnybird, about Lafayette from wiki...
"La Fayette, nous voilà !" WW1
On July 4, 1917, Stanton visited the tomb of French Revolution and American Revolution hero Marquis de Lafayette and (according to Pershing) said, "Lafayette, we are here!" to honor the nobleman's assistance during the Revolutionary War and assure the French people that the people of the United States would aid them in World War I. The famous quote is often misattributed to Pershing.[6]
In context, he said:
America has joined forces with the Allied Powers, and what we have of blood and treasure are yours. Therefore it is that with loving pride we drape the colors in tribute of respect to this citizen of your great republic. And here and now, in the presence of the illustrious dead, we pledge our hearts and our honor in carrying this war to a successful issue. Lafayette, we are here.

Charles Egbert Stanton (November 22, 1858 – May 8, 1933) was an officer in the United States Army, and attained the rank of colonel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_E._Stanton

For the next June 6th,
Tomorrow will be the 75th birthday of the famous D Day, June 06, 1944. WW2
the landing of Normandy by the allies for the reconquest and the freedom of Europe

:ty: thank you to everyone who participated and their family for the sacrifice of their loved ones.
:ty: Phil for your tribute to our heroes. I have great gratitude for them too. One of those brave soldiers who landed in Normandy that day is a member of my church.
Mimi

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:59 am

You're welcome Nestfriend but they all deserved it so much.

Recovering DN9
posting.php?mode=reply&f=62&t=152

Go go go man ! you are already one day late so please don't waste your time speaking she needs to go to the vet quickly now, please !
Thanks for what you've done but go !
:rh: E9: 7 yo / E14 :rh:
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. B.Shofstall
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Sunnybird1995

Post by Sunnybird1995 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:15 am

Saturday Morning's beautiful sunrise on the Mississippi River Flyway Cam:
https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams ... laska-cam/
:luck: Wings crossed for all fledglings . . . :luck:
:eag:
Here we go, I thought that was an Eagle!
He is shaking the flies off also.
Attachments
Screenshot (666).png
MRF Cam 8 June 2019 Sunrise
Screenshot (668).png
MRF Cam 8 June Adult Eagle
Still looking for E9 :rh: October 12, 2019
Harriet Forever :brknhrt: March 2023

BonnieNY52

Post by BonnieNY52 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:11 pm

:announce:

D32 HAS BEEN FOUND !!!

Update: Decorah Hatchery Nest eaglet D32

D32 was located yesterday evening in Trout Run Creek by a couple of local residents. The eagle was located tucked in along a bank downstream from the Decorah Hatchery nest. It was in rough shape, and the residents informed the DNR Hatchery personnel, who then retrieved it from the creek, and placed him/her in a “turkey box”, shown in the picture attached here. The hatchery staff notified RRP, and we quickly set a plan in motion to get D32 the care it needed. Our Bald Eagle expert and board member Brett Mandernack, and our Vice President Laura Johnson, a veterinarian doctor specializing in raptor care, were consulted quickly, and a plan was enacted to get D32 to Laura, about an hour away, for immediate assessment and care.

Once transferred to Laura, D32 was found to be weak, a bit hypothermic, underweight, and showed signs of anemia with many black fly bites. Laura administered fluids and electrolytes upon arrival and repeated the treatments overnight. This morning, Laura was able to get D32 to eat some venison dipped in electrolytes and will continue to try to feed D32 every few hours.

Laura will continue to monitor and care for D32 while we await further updates. When we have new information, we will share that with you, but please understand that the care of the eagles comes first and we may not have continuous updates.

We would like to thank the local residents who found D32 and acted quickly to get help, everyone at RRP working nonstop to search for, capture, transport and help the eagles in every way possible, and BIG THANKS to the Decorah Chuck Gipp Fish Hatchery staff and management for their continued support of our recent bald eagle monitoring and recovery efforts and the wildlife surrounding them.
D32-Rescued_6-8-19.jpg
Latest update also says that s/he will be brought to SOAR as soon as s/he is stabilized.
Prayers for a complete recovery for all

:luck: :rh: :luck:

Sunnybird1995

Post by Sunnybird1995 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:44 pm

SED to all fledglings, wherever they are.
All is well.
:grhug:
:offtobed:
Attachments
Screenshot (671).png
Sunset MRF cam 8 June 2019

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:00 pm

BonnieNY52 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:11 pm
:announce:

D32 HAS BEEN FOUND !!!

Update: Decorah Hatchery Nest eaglet D32

D32 was located yesterday evening in Trout Run Creek by a couple of local residents. The eagle was located tucked in along a bank downstream from the Decorah Hatchery nest. It was in rough shape, and the residents informed the DNR Hatchery personnel, who then retrieved it from the creek, and placed him/her in a “turkey box”, shown in the picture attached here. The hatchery staff notified RRP, and we quickly set a plan in motion to get D32 the care it needed. Our Bald Eagle expert and board member Brett Mandernack, and our Vice President Laura Johnson, a veterinarian doctor specializing in raptor care, were consulted quickly, and a plan was enacted to get D32 to Laura, about an hour away, for immediate assessment and care.

Once transferred to Laura, D32 was found to be weak, a bit hypothermic, underweight, and showed signs of anemia with many black fly bites. Laura administered fluids and electrolytes upon arrival and repeated the treatments overnight. This morning, Laura was able to get D32 to eat some venison dipped in electrolytes and will continue to try to feed D32 every few hours.

Laura will continue to monitor and care for D32 while we await further updates. When we have new information, we will share that with you, but please understand that the care of the eagles comes first and we may not have continuous updates.

We would like to thank the local residents who found D32 and acted quickly to get help, everyone at RRP working nonstop to search for, capture, transport and help the eagles in every way possible, and BIG THANKS to the Decorah Chuck Gipp Fish Hatchery staff and management for their continued support of our recent bald eagle monitoring and recovery efforts and the wildlife surrounding them.

D32-Rescued_6-8-19.jpg

Latest update also says that s/he will be brought to SOAR as soon as s/he is stabilized.
Prayers for a complete recovery for all

:luck: :rh: :luck:
Great news, :woohoo: there was no time to waste before recovering D32, i'm sure... :rh:
i can't imagine the others eaglets in the area, i hope many walkers will be able to find some to help.. :grhug:
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

BonnieNY52

Post by BonnieNY52 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:45 am

Philjo56France wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:00 pm
Great news, :woohoo: there was no time to waste before recovering D32, i'm sure... :rh:
i can't imagine the others eaglets in the area, i hope many walkers will be able to find some to help.. :grhug:
It is true Philippe, but SOAR says that they are already taking care of at least 30 Hatch Year '19 babies, so I assume that includes others (not on cams) who are suffering the same conditions. Unfortunately, we cannot help them all, but those we can.... we must.

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:18 am

BonnieNY52 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:45 am
Philjo56France wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:00 pm
It is true Philippe, but SOAR says that they are already taking care of at least 30 Hatch Year '19 babies, so I assume that includes others (not on cams) who are suffering the same conditions. Unfortunately, we cannot help them all, but those we can.... we must.
we have to :luck: and pray so, Bonnie. :grhug:
If so big eaglet can be inthis status by the only action of black flies, i underdtand better why DN7 and DN8 died in less of a couple of hour last year :cry1:
I hope D33, DN9 and D32 are healing very well now :rh:

a small video of DN9 from Gail Mitchell
The Little Eaglet Known As DN9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYsp5EGYSBg
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Sunnybird1995

Post by Sunnybird1995 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:54 am

Sunday Morning at the Mississippi River Flyway cam:
https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams ... laska-cam/

If E12 were around . . . this duck would be ducking . . . . :D
Attachments
Screenshot (673).png
MRF cam 9 June 2019 Sunday a.m. duck

eagleslanding

Post by eagleslanding » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:01 am

Actually maggots are used in medicine to clean wounds. Again a part of the cleaing process. They only gravitate to dead material not living flesh. But these eagles don't do medicine and hospitals. And sticks in the nest are good for simba. They can help him to balance before he takes flight and lives on brances much of the time. Now for me maggots and flies are not welcome in my house. I clean with products bought. I don't need sticks to balance on. I have a much longer learning time than simba does. Really everything is ok here.

jwin36

Post by jwin36 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:17 pm

Happy day today! Sauces eaglet flew off the nest like a pro! So wonderful to see! :woohoo:
:bye 1:
In an eagle there is all the wisdom of the world. Lame Deer

laniebelle

Post by laniebelle » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:55 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the various updates about the 3 eaglets from Decorah. They are all in great hands at SOAR. Considering the condition they all were in (anemia, underweight, bites from the gnats, dehydrated), it may be fortuitous that they all left the nest early. Hopefully, now they will all be able to get the help they need and be able to be released in the future.

I do feel bad for both sets of eaglet parents. They must be missing their offspring. Such sadness in Decorah this season.
Laniebelle
Remembering Dad Decorah, the greatest eagle Dad ever
follow: Decorah, DNN, SWFEC, NEFL, AEF DC, FSV, Berry, Trio, Standley Lake, Big Bear, Smola

Return to “Garden Fence Chat”