Surrey Reserve 2018-2019 Observation and Discussion

Camera discussion for the Surrey Reserve nest in Surrey, British Columbia

Moderator: Surrey Reserve TA's

JudyB
Admin

Re: Surrey Reserve 2018-2019 Observation and Discussion

Post by JudyB » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:04 pm

4:52 pm
Sur in with something - I think a bird. The chicks didn't get up right away, and he did some calling - I wonder if he was calling to Res.
20190607_005.JPG

Dee (nearer the cam) came over first, then Ess.
20190607_006.JPG

I think Dee was given more bites, but Ess also grabbed some good-sized pieces, so both got some.

Not sure who is who, but the one with the nice silhouette also has a nice plump crop.
20190607_007.JPG

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:42 pm

Hi Judy, yes it was a small bird, not a crow and much too small to satisfy both Dee and Ess, he did bring a few fish earlier though and both ate quite well. Sometimes I notice Dee and Ess not too interested in the food. Today they were really hungry because the feedings were spaced quite far apart. This is my first Eagle watch so I don't know what to expect. Do they slow down on the feedings, in the end, to encourage the young to fly? I am just guessing a that.

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:43 pm

Gong to look at the chicks to see if I can figure who is who...lol.

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:51 pm

Went back in the wide angle shots and noticed at 15:02 caught Sur bringing what looked like a fish, both Dee and Ess ate. I have been watching since before the chicks were hatched and I never noticed any shyness regarding the building going on. When I noticed Res with the broken leg she had brought a fish to the nest. I wondered if maybe she got it caught while fishing? :dunno:

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:37 pm

Approx 20:20 Res showed up with a fish, her leg didn't seem like it was dangling that much but is still hurt. Both Dee and Ess ate. She left the nest at 20:21. Might be going to look for more food..she has to rest up and she may be ok..I think Sur and the chicks call to her so she must be somewhere where we can' see her. I will keep an eye out till I go to bed. I am so happy that Res is back. :D

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:55 pm

Hi BETHINB.C. welcome! Yes they do slow down with the feeding later. :)

Looks like they are both sleeping.
Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 8.58.58 PM.png
I'll be heading :offtobed: soon. Good night everyone. I will look back further on the thread tomorrow.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:33 pm

Good might Marg, and ty for the info. Have a good sleep, I am also off to bed: so see you all tomorrow.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:52 pm

9:10 pm A quick look at the DVR - Sur was in at 4:52 pm with a black bird of some kind. Dee made it to the table first so h/s got the most bites, however, Ess managed to steal a fair number of large pieces. Feeding over at 5:00 pm and Sur left.

As reported by BETHINB.C. Res came into the nest at 8:20 with a fish. She ate a fair amount herself until Dee stole the last half. She gave Ess some bites while she was eating so both chicks got some. My impression is she comes to the nest to eat in peace - it must be hard for her to eat amongst other adult eagles - not that the kids leave her alone but she can handle them!

Computer is telling me "battery is low" but I'm going to try and upload this short video anyway!

Mom steals back what's left of the fish that Dee got and gives it to Ess! At least that's what it looked like to me!

:vid: Mom takes the fish back from Dee! (1:05)

I spoke to David Hancock tonight and he had watched the videos. His opinion is there really isn't much to be done - a rescue could do more harm than good and with a little help (we may see some salmon fillets come to the nest!) hopefully she will be able to self heal like Ma Delta did.

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:04 am

SATURDAY, JUNE 8, 2019

:bye 1:
Member since May 9, 2006

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:54 am

Good Morning everyone and thanks for the coverage here and thanks gemini for posting Davids comments and for your video of Res ! Thanks nightowl for starting the day here !

Weather Report
screenshot_17.jpg
3:41
Dee and Ess are sleeping
screenshot_18.jpg
Ess is on the right
screenshot_19.jpg
I checked the DVR back to Margs scap at 8:57 pm and no nest visits that I saw .

I am going to my grandnephews wedding today! :)

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:58 am

Good morning. Around 7:30 this morning Sur brought in a Bull Head ( fish ) both Dee and Ess ate.
Thank you, Gemini for the update about Res. I worry about Res and happy to know she is eating. May I ask how "Salmon Filets' get to the nest?
Sad that nothing can be done for Res but as long as she is eating she should heal. I hope! :luck:
Morning Irisheyes, enjoy your day at the wedding. and ty for the information.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:13 am

Good morning, everyone, and have a wonderful time, Bev!

I'm going to look back at the dvr....

Sur arrived at 7:36 am with a good-sized live fish. Dee grabbed it - and as I've seen before from Dee, then looked at Dad as in - "well, do something!" After a minute, Sur took it back and fed both chicks some fish. He flew up to the little perch around 7:41 and stayed there for a while. I think the fish was done by then because neither chick seemed to be eating.

Going further back, Sur arrived with something at 6:54 am - maybe a mouse? Small with legs. Ess got it and was working on it for a while - I'm guessing he got some or all of it, but he turned his back to the North cam, and I'm in a hurry so am not going to try for more details.

It is my impression that Ess is slightly better at dealing with food and stealing food, and Dee is slightly better at grabbing food while being fed, though they both do some of everything, and both work on leftovers.

I think I went back to Bev's post and didn't see any other visits.

I will mention that now that the dvr is showing 12 hours and time moves very quickly as you use the red slider to look back, I've been looking for visits by going full screen on the South cam and looking for the chicks in an eating position. It's great when you spot a white head in the thumbnails, but the 6:54 visit was a minute or less, and even knowing that a chick appeared to be eating at 6:56, it took several tries to see the adult. The chicks are getting better at self feeding, but it takes them time, so it's easier to notice a chick in one spot with head bent down working on something - especially if you see the other chick nearby watching intently!

I'm out for the day - not sure if I'll be back on the computer until morning though I'll have my phone with me for brief peeks.

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:15 am

9:13am seems when I look they are both sleeping. :) I'll check back a little later. It was windy there.

Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 9.12.15 AM.png
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:25 am

BETHINB.C. wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:58 am
Good morning. Around 7:30 this morning Sur brought in a Bull Head ( fish ) both Dee and Ess ate.
Thank you, Gemini for the update about Res. I worry about Res and happy to know she is eating. May I ask how "Salmon Filets' get to the nest?
Sad that nothing can be done for Res but as long as she is eating she should heal. I hope! :luck:
Morning Irisheyes, enjoy your day at the wedding. and ty for the information.
Thanks for the ID on the fish, Beth! As to the salmon filets, people have been known to put food out where eagles might find it, especially if they know there is an issue that might interfere with the normal hunting and scavenging of the pair. We don't generally discuss it - and it's not a good thing to do unless you know where to put it so the eagle isn't endangered by traffic or pets or whatever - and it's not good to do it as a regular thing for eagles who are doing OK on their own because it can encourage other eagles to come to their territory looking for the easy food.

We have no idea what may happen here, and I'll probably report anything that looks like a chunk of fish as something the eagle probably scavenged without getting into details.

BETHINB.C.

Post by BETHINB.C. » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:57 am

My lips are sealed, Judy. I am happy to hear that though. I have always loved the Eagles, they are such a majestic bird. Dee and Ess have come so far and I honestly give the most credit to Res, she has been a # 1 hunter and I would hate to see he pass because of her injury. This has made me feel much better so thank you. :)

Return to “Surrey Reserve ~ Bald Eagle Nest Cam”