Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2018/2019

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
stim
Content Provider

Re: Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2018/2019

Post by stim » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:46 pm

I found both adults here on my visit June 4. Pa in his perch tree beside the nest tree. Ma in the nest. Both were looking intently in the same direction. I know not what they were seeing. No calling.
3541.jpg
3540.jpg

Mushka

Re: Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2018/2019

Post by Mushka » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:00 pm

Visited the nest on Saturday (June 8th) and at first saw only the one adult in the perch tree near the nest but took some pictures of the nest hoping to see something there. It was a bit breezy so even though I saw some movement in the nest I wasn't sure if it was branches / greenery moving or ? After taking what seemed like a whole lot of pictures hoping to later zoom in on them and see if the movement was actually an eaglet / adult or just greenery, an eaglet appeared!

He/she made a brief partial appearance, then did some wing exercising before finally coming closer to the edge of the nest so that I could finally see who had been hiding in there all this time :-)

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge
003-1.jpg
Adult in the perch tree near the nest
097-1.jpg
Eaglet doing some wing exercising
101-1.jpg
And finally making an appearance

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:14 am

Marvellous pictures Karen! I'm so glad you got to witness the wingsercising. I find it fascinating. :woohoo:

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:25 am

Great to hear that you saw an eaglet wingercising in this nest Karen!
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:32 am

David Hancock is pleased to invite all Hancock Wildlife Foundation volunteers and friends to celebrate

Fledgefest 2019

Sunday, August 18
1:00 pm - 5:00 pm

RSVP REQUIRED BY BY AUGUST 1ST TO:
Rosana Inacio: [email protected]
or
Sharon (gemini): [email protected]
See details HERE

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:14 pm

Thank you Sandra and Marg! Stopped by for a short visit yesterday and saw the youngster standing by the middle branch of the nest tree looking out towards one of the adults in the perch tree close by.

Karen H

Please click on to the pictures to enlarge

174-1.jpg
Eaglet looking out of the nest towards the adult in the perch tree
160-1.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:19 pm

Looks to me like the eaglet was trying to hide behind the tree branch! :love: Thank you for the update Karen! Glad you saw Junior!

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:27 pm

All was quiet when I stopped by the nest late this afternoon. Just junior hanging out and no adults in sight, they were probably off enjoying the break from all the rain today.

Karen H

Please click onto the picture to enlarge

065-1.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:51 pm

Great to see our baby Karen. Thank you! And for sharing that you got more rain! Hopefully the Coast is not as dry these days. :woohoo:

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:05 pm

When I stopped by the nest yesterday it was late afternoon and I saw one adult in the perch tree and movement in the nest, it looked like the eaglet was eating but then quickly moved out of the nest and on to a branch beside it. Yay ! The nest was quite dark due to the position of the sun and where I was standing was in shade so was having difficulty trying to take pictures that weren't dark, but managed to take some showing that the eaglet was indeed outside of the nest perched on a small branch.

While I was busy concentrating on watching the eaglet, adjusting camera settings and taking pictures I noticed a slight movement out of the corner of my eye, to the left of the eaglet on the branch.

And then more movement. From a second eaglet !

The whole time I had been busy watching the eaglet on the branch there had been a second eaglet standing perfectly still in front of the right-hand side branch of the nest.

I couldn't believe my eyes. Where has this eaglet been hiding all this time lol

So this late in the season, we have confirmation of two eaglets in the Larson Road nest :)

Karen H

Please click on to the pictures to enlarge

177-1.jpg
One of the first few pictures I took, dark but showing the eaglet on the branch beside the nest (lower, right-hand side). If you look closely, you can also see the second eaglet I initially missed perched in front of the right hand branch of the nest,
200-1.jpg
After I noticed movement and upped the exposure setting on the camera, the second eaglet appears clearer
202-1.jpg
The second eaglet moving into the nest while the first eaglet is still perched beside the nest

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:19 am

Well done Karen! Takes me back to our meeting up at the Chaster nest a couple of years ago knowing there had been 1 eaglet in the nest, one was branching in the tree and eventually discovered there were 2! :woohoo:
This is marvellous for our Larson nest! We're constantly learning.
Perhaps Maureen will discover the second one Heather and I have suspected in the Marsh nest!
Kudos to you!

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:08 pm

Wow that's exciting news Karen 2 eaglets there! Thanks for the reports and pictures.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:47 pm

Thank you Sandra and Marg! It reminded me of the Chaster nest too Sandra, where do these huge eaglet hide lol

I stopped by the nest this afternoon and all was quiet, I couldn't see any adults or eaglets. Not a peep from any eaglets either. I was starting to get a bit worried because it looked like there were some pieces of sticks sticking up in the nest on the right hand side so thought maybe the front of the nest had collapsed. I scanned the branches in the nest tree and the surrounding trees but couldn't see any eaglets. All I saw was a small bird stop and perch at the front of the nest.

After taking numerous pictures of the nest from various angles hoping to see a head or movement I was starting to think the worst and was thinking of stopping by again in the morning just in case everyone was hunkered down at the front of the nest.

While I was still standing watching the nest a woman came out of the driveway on the right hand side at the bottom of the road. I mentioned to her that it was so quiet at the nest and she told me that the young ones had already left! She said they had been really flapping their wings (she demonstrated this) for a while and that she had seen them flying and had heard them last night ! She said I was welcome to go sit on their property and wait / watch if I would like, but I had our dog with us so thanked her but said I couldn't stay too long. So I think we can safely say that the two Larson youngsters have fledged.

Karen H

146-1.jpg
Empty nest with one little bird perched at the front, I've put an arrow there to make it easier to see the bird :-)

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:05 pm

Marvellous news from the woman who was there! I'm so glad you met her and asked about the eaglets! Yay, a twosome fledge! :woohoo:

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:12 pm

I was so glad that she came out when she did Sandra, I really was worried about what might have happened. I went back this afternoon, to hopefully see one or both of the eaglets nearby, I didn't see them but did hear one calling from over in the trees to the right somewhere. So they haven't gone too far yet, but are out there :-)

Karen H

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”