Re: Decorah North (Iowa) - 2018/19

To store all archived 'Other North American Eagle Cams' topics

Moderator: N Amer Eagle Cam TA's

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:04 pm

Thanks jwin. So glad RRP decided to transport DN9 to SOAR. What with all the bugs and h/ h inability to fly, probably the best place for him/her.
AKA: Marianne

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:24 pm

Heather L wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:49 pm
IrishEyes wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:39 am
cont,. from above

Zoomer looking foe DN9
screenshot_46.jpg
screenshot_47.jpg

End of the DVR scaps

Keeping good thoughts that DN9 is alright :rh: and I hope RRP will rescue h.h if they see h.h ! :luck: :rh:
Bev I am tagging you RRP has D9 and is on his way to SOAR, there is a post on their Facebook page
Thank you so Heather and Thank you SOAR ... Happy tears that DN9 will get the care h.s deserve !

I an fightling a nasty sinus infection,.. :luck: I will well enough to go to my grandnephews wedding tomorrow !

Thanks , Mary , Marianne for your posts !

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:30 pm

Bev, prayers and :luck: that you can make the wedding. Get some rest and We’ll cover your nests and keep you updated. :huggie:

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:32 pm

Kitcat11848 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:30 pm
Bev, prayers and :luck: that you can make the wedding. Get some rest and We’ll cover your nests and keep you updated. :huggie:

Thanks Marianne.. You are all the best! :hug:

elainemyrkle

Post by elainemyrkle » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:53 pm

Thank you everyone for all the updates. Bev, I'll be praying for you also. Sinus infections are so nasty.
Joined Aug. 23, 2006. My avatar is the first one I used in the forum. The cuke eyes are a memorial to our beloved Wendy Minshall who passed away too early in life. R.I.P. my dear friend.

Heather L
Zoomer

Post by Heather L » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:59 pm

IrishEyes wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:24 pm
Heather L wrote:
IrishEyes wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:39 am
cont,. from above

Zoomer looking foe DN9
screenshot_46.jpg
screenshot_47.jpg

End of the DVR scaps

Keeping good thoughts that DN9 is alright :rh: and I hope RRP will rescue h.h if they see h.h ! :luck: :rh:
Bev I am tagging you RRP has D9 and is on his way to SOAR, there is a post on their Facebook page
Thank you so Heather and Thank you SOAR ... Happy tears that DN9 will get the care h.s deserve !

I an fightling a nasty sinus infection,.. :luck: I will well enough to go to my grandnephews wedding tomorrow !

Hugs Bev :rh:

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:19 pm

Heather L wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:59 pm
IrishEyes wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:24 pm
Heather L wrote:

Hugs Bev :rh:
:hug: Heather :rh:

Thanks Elaine :huggie:

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:37 pm

Raptor Resource Project
4 hrs ·
6-7-19 – NEST UPDATES
We know that you are all anxiously awaiting news, and we’re no different as we wait for progress reports from our many wonderful volunteers and supporting agencies. Here’s what we know:
At Decorah North … Our cams reverted to highlights this morning as we tried to troubleshoot and do what we could to find a fix for our PTZ nest cams there. The efforts were unsuccessful and will result in a site visit, and unfortunately, that will have to wait until camera maintenance time later when we will not disturb the eagles. We will continue to use the Pasture Cam to monitor. While the field of vision is limited and is not equipped with a microphone at least it will still give us a window into the North Nest Territory and grab what glimpses we can of activity there.
DN9 … Board Director and master falcon bander and handler David Kester was at the nest earlier and was able to visually assess DN9. She/he was found in the same location at the stream bank and was captured fairly easily. David noted that the eaglet, while spunky, was riddled with bites, was slightly underweight, with pale mouth tissue which can point to anemia and a similar condition found in D33. An immediate decision was made to secure DN9, and she was hooded with ease and brought to Decorah for further evaluation and with DNR assistance. A representative from SOAR was already planning to meet with DNR part way for the transfer of an injured Red Tail Hawk, so it was decided to have DN9 transported immediately to begin care. Some further assessment indicated that DN9 also had flight feathers still sheathed and underformed, and the eaglet was dehydrated

We’ve been asked why DN9 was left in the pasture yesterday and not taken in for care immediately. We had RRP personnel close by and they were able to immediately confirm visually that there seemed to be no injury to prevent wingflapping or mobility and since the parents were actively defending their offspring the decision was made to leave DN9 in their care. We continued to watch via cam and were surprised at DN9 not only meeting a few of the landowner’s cows but had the instinct and ability to puff up, mantle, present his/her most threatening wing extensions and then retreat to a safer space. It was also nice to see the parents fly low and slow over the creek and one parent down there with the eaglet for a bit. We already had planned for another on-site visit for DN9 today and were glad those plans were in place after receiving the status report of D33’s condition and feeling that the unprecedented black fly infestation that is plaguing Iowa would have similarly affected DN9. All wildlife seems to be affected, and we are learning now that DNR Fishery Stocking personnel are being bitten while stocking streams and our own search volunteers are too even slathered in bug repellent.

As of this update, DN9 is now en route to SOAR for further veterinary examination and we will provide any additional findings when they are released. We will not be able to answer any speculative questions and hope that you understand we simply will not guess on something that is unknown.

At Decorah Hatchery … The search for D32 continues, as well as some volunteers, tasked with observing the parents and trying to follow flight paths to pinpoint a possible location of care. Decorah Fish Hatchery personnel are also trying to track Mom Decorah and DM2’s fish catches and see where they fly off. We have no further updates at this point except to say that we are trying to remain hopefully optimistic that D32 can be located soon with a successful outcome.
As for D33 … who is presently at SOAR getting some relief and care, we have no other news yet, but will be sharing any update that is posted to our Facebook page.
We sincerely appreciate everyone’s kind comments regarding our eaglets and our efforts. We are trying to keep the updates timely, but our priority remains eagles first and information as it can come without slowing the search and recovery process. With thank you for your understanding and patience during a particularly stressful time for all of us.

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:08 pm

9:01pm
screenshot_01.jpg
So thankful we don't have to worry about DN9 :rh: ... Bless her .. she is on her way to SOAR or maybe is already there .. she will get the best of care :love:

I hope DNF and Dad are doing well .. :rh: I can only imagine how Dad and DNF must feel :brknhrt:

I truly believe all birds and wildlife have emotions

Read this

https://www.thespruce.com/examining-bir ... ons-386439

Goodnight precious family, Philjo , jwin, Heather , Marianne , Elaine , Mary and all :grhug:

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:05 pm

Good night/morning Bev, jwin, Heather, Marianne, Elaine, Mary, …!

:thumlft: i would only say, one day late but it is good now…
:luck: DN9 :luck:
:rh: to Decorah North family even if i'lm sad for Dad and DNF but it was the first thing to do for the safety of DN9
:rh: E9: 7 yo / E14 :rh:
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. B.Shofstall
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

jwin36

Post by jwin36 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:42 am

Good morning :yes:
Raptor resource posted a recovery video of DN9 on YouTube. Here is a Link.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... EoqMbRO6Qw
Now I am even happier that they took h/her to rehab. :yes:
Thanks to everyone that helps our wildlife :rh: :rh:
Hope you're feeling better, Bev. :huggie:
:bye 1:
In an eagle there is all the wisdom of the world. Lame Deer

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:10 am

Saturday , June 8 , 2019

Good Morning Philjo , jwin , Elaine, Heather, Marianne, Mary and all!
jwin36 wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:42 am
Good morning :yes:
Raptor resource posted a recovery video of DN9 on YouTube. Here is a Link.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... EoqMbRO6Qw
Now I am even happier that they took h/her to rehab. :yes:
Thanks to everyone that helps our wildlife :rh: :rh:
Hope you're feeling better, Bev. :huggie:
Thanks you so much jwin :huggie: I am happy for DN9 also :rh: ....... and thanks to you and all for your good thoughts and prayers I am feeling better .. going to my grandnephews wedding today :luck:

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:14 am

Good Morning Bev, jwin, philjo, Mary, elaine, and all. Thank you jwin for the link to the rescue of DN9. I am so glad they took h/h; clearly too young to be left on it’s own and continue to battle those terrible black flies. Praying for quick recovery for DN9 and D33 and also that D32 is located.
Bev, so glad you are feeling better. Enjoy your grandnephew’s wedding.

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:24 am

Latest update from SOAR on DN9
~ DN9 now at SOAR ~

This hatch-year (HY19) bald eagle - DN9 - from the Decorah North Nest and famous from the Raptor Resource Project (RRP) nest camera fell to the ground under the nest on 6 June 2019. RRP board member, Dave K, was able to locate and rescue this eaglet on 7 June.

DN9 was transported to SOAR on 7 June. Photos taken during an initial assessment during transfer to SOAR executive director, Kay Neumann.

During transfer Kay noted that this eaglet has numerous bites near the eyes and nostrils (nares), on the back of the head, and the skin on the throat below the lower beak was raw from buffalo gnats (AKA blackfly). What you see near the beak of this eagle are the bloody scabs from the gnat bites.

This young eagle is emaciated, anemic, and dehydrated. Kay did discover once at SOAR that DN9 has feather lice. Birds in poor condition typically have feather lice. Feather lice may crawl on you, but only in search of feathers. Kay reported no fractures.

Even though this eaglet is older than D33 (Hatchery nest admitted 5 June 2019), DN9 still needs more feather length to have successful flight. In the photos you can see tail feathers and primary (flight) feathers still encased in the sheath.

Kay gave DN9 fluids the evening on 7 June and forcep fed some stew meat. Kay reported some good output :) this morning. This eaglet is not yet interested in eating on its own. Today, DN9 will get more fluids and medication to treat for the lice.

As updates on DN9 become available, those will be shared. Please understand that we have over 30 hatch-year raptors admitted already this year, in addition to other adult raptors needing care.

If you would like to support SOAR’s efforts in raptor rehabilitation, education, and research, please visit https://soarraptors.org/support-soar/

If you are one of the many that have already donated - thank you. Plus a special "shout out" to those of you who give monthly to support the work of SOAR.

A special thank you to RRP board member and wife, David and Ann for coordinating from afar, RRP board member Dave K, and the Iowa DNR Decorah Fish Hatchery staff for their support.

jwin36

Post by jwin36 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:24 am

Thank you, Kitcat, for posting the update. It was as I was afraid of while watching DN9 the last few days before he/she fell; DN9 was not well and thriving. We are very lucky to have such great and wonderful people willing to go the extra mile in the saving and rehab of these young eaglets. :thumlft: I am glad so many people are becoming increasingly aware of the problems that these magnificent raptors face just trying to survive. I hope that these several incidents in Decorah will prod everyone into coming up with safe ecological solutions to help all the wildlife in similar situations. :yes:
In an eagle there is all the wisdom of the world. Lame Deer

Return to “Archive - All Other North American Eagle Cams”