The Wildlife Corner

An area to chat and keep in touch with people you meet in the more formal areas of the board

Moderator: Garden Fence TA's

Pascale

Re: EAGLE Chatters Nest

Post by Pascale » Mon May 27, 2019 9:29 am

Philjo56France wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 8:24 am
Too much day with snow at Big Bear and little Cookie is leaving us :( :cry1: :cryhanky:
devastating news for all the lovers of this nest and every eagles lover :brknhrt: :cry1: :cryhanky:
fly high and free little one. I'm sure your brother BBB was there to welcome you. take good care of Simba, your parents from where you are
All scaps are courtesy of
http://dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html
or by photographers / videographers credited in my message
In love with Harriett and M Family !

NestFriend

Post by NestFriend » Mon May 27, 2019 12:54 pm

F5F2270D-D2A6-46AD-A78E-6B1DB9BB3490.jpeg
Sorry to hear about the owl attacks and Cookie.Thanks Phil for the reminder.

I’m having problems posting pictures here. The only way I can is using my cell phone!!! :dunno:
Mimi

"Nothing positive will come from being negative,
and nothing negative will come from being positive."

eagleslanding

Post by eagleslanding » Mon May 27, 2019 5:44 pm

What is the name of the tree the smola eagle family is living in? The lake is so blue what lake is it? My niece just left for Sweden for a year hope she likes it there. ?

laniebelle

Post by laniebelle » Mon May 27, 2019 10:25 pm

Devastating news from Big Bear. So many snowstorms for them to deal with this year. Some say that Cookie never really recovered from the last snowstorm when he was exposed somewhat. Jackie has done a tremendous job in trying to cover them, but it's tough with 6 week old eaglets. Sounds like it was drizzle, snow, and wind. Even Jackie had to try to shake off the ice from her feathers this morning. Just heartbreaking to lose another, just like BBB last year.

Here is a lovely tribute video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1jEXiV ... FmU_TFSkLc
5-27-19 Big Bear Eagles~ In Remembrance Of Cookie
knarley123/ Vicki Harley

shared with permission of Ildiko A Pokk
52719 RIP Cookie.jpg
Laniebelle
Remembering Dad Decorah, the greatest eagle Dad ever
follow: Decorah, DNN, SWFEC, NEFL, AEF DC, FSV, Berry, Trio, Standley Lake, Big Bear, Smola

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Mon May 27, 2019 11:34 pm

laniebelle wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 10:25 pm
Devastating news from Big Bear. So many snowstorms for them to deal with this year. Some say that Cookie never really recovered from the last snowstorm when he was exposed somewhat. Jackie has done a tremendous job in trying to cover them, but it's tough with 6 week old eaglets. Sounds like it was drizzle, snow, and wind. Even Jackie had to try to shake off the ice from her feathers this morning. Just heartbreaking to lose another, just like BBB last year.

Here is a lovely tribute video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1jEXiV ... FmU_TFSkLc
5-27-19 Big Bear Eagles~ In Remembrance Of Cookie
knarley123/ Vicki Harley

shared with permission of Ildiko A Pokk
52719 RIP Cookie.jpg
So sad Lanie, can you ask Ildiko A Pokk if i can use her beautiful pic of Cookie/Simba for the In Memoriam thread ? Thanks by advance.
:rh: E9: 7 yo / E14 :rh:
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. B.Shofstall
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Pascale

Post by Pascale » Tue May 28, 2019 1:05 am

eagleslanding wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:44 pm
What is the name of the tree the smola eagle family is living in? The lake is so blue what lake is it? My niece just left for Sweden for a year hope she likes it there. ?
hi eagleslanding I'm not sure which kind of tree it is, looks like a pine.
the nest is located on the western coast of Norway so the water is the Norwegian sea . its sure a beautiful place.

thanks Lanie for the beautiful tribute :cry1:

laniebelle

Post by laniebelle » Tue May 28, 2019 8:16 am

So happy that the Smola babes are okay this morning. I was afraid to get up this morning and look. That was kind of odd for Baroness to be away from the nest for that long, wasn't it?

So glad that all looks good this morning.
Laniebelle
Remembering Dad Decorah, the greatest eagle Dad ever
follow: Decorah, DNN, SWFEC, NEFL, AEF DC, FSV, Berry, Trio, Standley Lake, Big Bear, Smola

Pascale

Post by Pascale » Tue May 28, 2019 12:31 pm

laniebelle wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:16 am
So happy that the Smola babes are okay this morning. I was afraid to get up this morning and look. That was kind of odd for Baroness to be away from the nest for that long, wasn't it?

So glad that all looks good this morning.
hi Lanie
yes we have had a scary moment this morning Norway time. the weather turned bad and both parents were away. furthermore the last meal for the youngest chick was Monday noon. seeing hail falling down the babies was difficult to watch especially after what happened at big bear. but a very determined baron and baroness brought a big supply of food and then kids were ok and were brooded by both parents.

eagleslanding

Post by eagleslanding » Tue May 28, 2019 1:28 pm

I see KABC Los Angeles had a piece on their news channel about Cookie on the big bear eagle nest passing and what happened to her. I guess she was beloved by the entire area. Cookie of the mountain.

eagleslanding

Post by eagleslanding » Tue May 28, 2019 1:32 pm

That is a very smooth sea Pascale. Very pretty. There are so many pines. I know the southwest fl. Eagles live in a slash pine tree. I will have to look it up just curious. Tiny babes on the smola nest.

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Tue May 28, 2019 11:50 pm

last news from Dale Hollow

Here are two videos from MsO, thanks to her !

DH2019, Then There Were Three, 052819
Parent brought in a fish for the one eaglet in the nest. Then a second showed up, and a third. Might be the last time we see all three together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeRvG8qj2uA

DH2019, Nest Partial Collapse, 052819
Nest has been looking more and more fragile. We just crossed our fingers it would stay intact until all 3 juvies fledged, and it did. Today a portion fell. Keep your eye on the side with an arrow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsfMGt8iwkU
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Tue May 28, 2019 11:52 pm

eagleslanding wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 1:28 pm
I see KABC Los Angeles had a piece on their news channel about Cookie on the big bear eagle nest passing and what happened to her. I guess she was beloved by the entire area. Cookie of the mountain.
" I guess she was beloved by the entire area. Cookie of the mountain." and over Eagleslanding, and over... :brknhrt: :cry1:
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Wed May 29, 2019 2:56 am

Bald eagle attacks Steve. Hog Island Ospreys. 18.46 / 28 May 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jffc3zmlWw

:ohmy: :angry: :luck:

Update from https://explore.org/livecams/ospreys/osprey-nest
First things first: We are still waiting for Steve's return. He, most probably, spent the night in his favorite roosting tree, nearby. On bad weather days he is always late on the nest, very often first seen in the afternoon. So stay positive: trust Nature, trust Osprey!

Well, yesterday, Bald eagles were dominating the action around Hog Island. At first, a juvenile visited the BH nest, leaving it in a mess.
Later, in the evening, Steve returned with a fish, but hesitated to deliver it directly to Rachel. He most probably was aware of the eagle, nearby. Keep in mind, that we heard eagles around all these days. When Steve finally was ready to settle on the eggs, the eagle approached the nest from below. Steve tried to fend it off. Both got entangled with each other and flew off the nest. After being separated, Steve flew smoothly off to the right, following the eagle, indicating that he is OK. Such fights are not unusual. They happen all the time, since eagles are opportunistic hunters, going after the prey ospreys and other raptors catch.

11h06 am no sight on Steve yet
Last edited by Philjo56France on Wed May 29, 2019 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Pascale

Post by Pascale » Wed May 29, 2019 4:18 am

eagleslanding wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 1:32 pm
That is a very smooth sea Pascale. Very pretty. There are so many pines. I know the southwest fl. Eagles live in a slash pine tree. I will have to look it up just curious. Tiny babes on the smola nest.
:D they're not so tiny anymore :rh:
FB_IMG_1559128452282.jpg

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Wed May 29, 2019 8:40 am

I made an update in the Memoriam thread concerning little Cookie at Big Bear. viewtopic.php?p=203737#p203737
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Return to “Garden Fence Chat”