Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2018-19

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
stim
Content Provider

Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2018-19

Post by stim » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:56 pm

Welcome to this nest site. The nest tree is on private property on Chaster Beach on the Strait of Georgia in Gibsons, BC. There is a claim out there that it is 400 years old.
Just follow Gower Point Rd out of Gibsons until you drive onto Beach Esplanade. The nest tree is upside of the road about 2/3 of the way along The Esplanade.
This is a well established nest, over 25 years old according to people who live there. Apparently the tree is 400 years old.
We've been following nest activity here since 2011. Please feel free to submit pictures, or just drop in to say hi and tell us of any eagle activity you see if you visit this nest site.
We fledged 2 youngsters late in the season last year, fledges not confirmed until Aug. 5.

History:

2011 not being used
2012 July, 2 eaglets seen fledged
2013 2 eaglets seen Prince & Abby
2014 Jan 5 one adult seen. Eaglets ? I met a neighbour who lives nearby who told me that the young are heard in the morning and evening.
2015 1 eaglet, 1 seen after fledging
2016 2 eaglets Pico and Elusive fledged
2017 1 eaglet seen flying on or around July 20
2018 2 eaglets confirmed fledged Aug 5, still there August 16, both heard talking to each other but not seen.

Pa is banded. Every year since 2011 we get confirmation he has returned by sighting the band and one day we hope to get the number for David H to check a bit of Pa's history.

stim
Content Provider

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2018-19

Post by stim » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:04 pm

I was very happy to find who seemed to be Ma and Pa both home and looking after their territory Oct 16. Pa perched in a tree midway to the nest, across from the parking area. I think there is the hint of his band on his right ankle. :luck: Enlarge photo by clicking on it x 2.
2717.jpg
This appeared to be Ma bent over looking at me near the parking at entrance to the park.
2731.jpg
Welcome back you 2!

stim
Content Provider

Re: Chaster Beach Eagle Nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2018-19

Post by stim » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:04 pm

I finally got back down to check on our eagle couple Sunday, March 10. One eagle was high in the tree they like to perch in by the first parking area. No other eagles to be seen nor heard. I'm not sure which one I saw.
The nest looks like it survived the winter winds hitting it smack off the Strait of Georgia. :thumlft:
3094.jpg
3101.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:54 pm

A return here on April 4 may have found some evidence of brooding, some white seen in the nest. Otherwise no eagles seen nor heard. I could hear a sea lion or seal barking at the far end of the beach though, could not see it.
Picture taken from mid way parking spot. No white head seen.
3219.jpg
This picture was taken far down the road on the opposite side of the nest tree.
3221.jpg
And this one was taken from just beyond the mailboxes. I see white in the nest, hope for a brooding adult. :luck:
3223.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:36 pm

My return to the nest yesterday did not reveal an adult in any of the perch trees nor on the beach. I could not see a head in the nest until zooming in on these pictures, trying from a distance on both sides of the nest. The first picture I got upset me thinking it looked like a bit of tree branch has fallen into the nest. Also what looks like a wing pointing upward. Finding a head sitting high from the other side of the nest, pics taken between the nest tree and midway parking, reassured me but I would like to see both adults!
3312.jpg
3314.jpg
3317.jpg

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:10 pm

I was walking our dog along OBE on the 23rd and noticed an eagle on the beach eating, turned out it was Pa ! I took some pictures from the road and couldn't really see what he was eating though there were several crows loitering around hoping for some leftovers. I continued on with the walk and after returning to the vehicle drove to the nest tree and took a few pictures from the up side near the mail boxes and could see a head peeking up above the nest. I can see what you're talking about Sandra, your picture does show what looks like a tree branch, I have some other pictures that I'll look through to see if the same thing shows up in them, but they will be from the 23rd.

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

029-1.jpg
Pa on the beach eating
031-1.jpg
062-1.jpg
This picture was taken about an half hour after the ones above, I don't know who is in the nest, Pa had flown off heading towards the nest tree as I was walking but I couldn't see if there was a change of shift.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:05 am

That certainly does look like we have had a bit of a tree branch fall into the nest. Hopefully we still have 2 adults doing what needs to be done with the chicks. Obviously one of them is trying.
No digits visible on Pa's band. I was so hopeful when I saw the angle you got. They appear to be worn away. Thanks Karen.
By the way, the house sharing this address is an air B&B. I looked up it's online profile and they claim the tree is 400 years old. I guess a limb can be forgiven for falling every now and then. Just not in nesting season!

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat May 04, 2019 1:49 pm

I was back to check on the nest again on Sunday April 28. First down to the beach. No sign of an eagle nor fallen debris in the nest. Next on the road just beyond the Love Shack. I could not see any tree tops missing. Debris in the nest has been moved somehow? No sign of brooding but I did see an eagle land in the nest from the distance I was standing. I did not see an eagle departure.

Tree top.
3326.jpg
Debris moved to our left somehow.
3327.jpg
Taken from the front of the nest. No eagles seen. No eagles heard my time there.
3337.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun May 12, 2019 5:00 pm

I returned to this nest to find the nest debris moved again, now visible from the front of the nest. First picture taken from almost as far back as the mid way parking area.
From the back side of the nest I was hoping to find a couple of grey heads looking over the edge but instead found Pa on nest duty. Almost as good! Not complaining at all. :thumlft: He looks to be rather confined between the tree and edge of nest but likely has more room than it would appear to us from the ground.
3377.jpg
3380.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon May 13, 2019 4:22 pm

A friend emailed me this morning with news that there was a lot of tree cut back, limb removal going on near this nest. On approaching the nest I saw 2 eagles soaring in circles above like they can do when threatened. Electric saw sounds were very apparent just 2 houses down from the nest tree. Once parked I found an eagle in the nest thankfully but look at the white head feathers all fluffed up. I have never seen this before. Looks like a British wig the judges and lawyers can be seen wearing on TV shows. Is this a sign of duress?
I was quite a length back from the tree, have zoomed in quite a way. If you click x2 on the pic it enlarges to show the feathers looking kind of kinky, curly.
3384.jpg

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Thu May 16, 2019 8:19 pm

Hopefully the tree cutting and limbing hasn't disturbed the Chaster couple too much Sandra, I was down that way with our dog this afternoon and did a check on the nest from the mailboxes, could see an adult in the nest (on the right hand side) looking out towards the water. Fingers crossed all is well.

Karen H

Please click onto the picture to enlarge.

030-1.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri May 17, 2019 8:58 am

Thank you for this reassurance Karen. I was thinking I should add a trip down to the nest among my other plans for today but now I can rest assured that the nest is being tended. When the young man assured me it was a 1 day job I hoped they would stay around. I like how the head feathers on the adult in the nest are are all smoothed down again. :thumlft:

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:04 pm

Had a quick stop at the nest this afternoon while I was at Chaster Park / Bonniebrook with our dog, saw one adult on the perch branch beside the nest and then movement in the nest ! It helped that it was windy so the branches were moving out of the way while I took some pictures. I cropped this picture in close and it's pretty grainy but shows two eaglets in the nest :)

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

105-2.jpg
Adult on the perch branch nest to the nest
105-1.jpg
If you look to the right hand side of the nest there are two fuzzy chicks

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:52 am

Well done Karen, getting a shot of what looks to be 2 possible eaglets again this year. :woohoo: The feather growth on the heads looks to be again, behind what I'm seeing on nest cams and at the Marsh nest. Their fledging will likely be late again this year and we most likely have the same female here as in the past few years.

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:38 pm

Had a quick visit to the nest yesterday, was a bit overcast so dark looking into the nest, the picture is pretty grainy but it does look again like there are two youngsters in there.

Karen H

Please click onto the picture to enlarge

119-1.jpg

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”