Beacon Hill Park Eagles, Victoria BC - 2018/2019 Season

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
elle
Content Provider

Re: Beacon Hill Park Eagles, Victoria BC - 2018/2019 Season

Post by elle » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:56 pm

I visited the Beacon Hill nest this afternoon. Both eagles were there separately and together at different times. Back with pix.
Be the change that you want to see in the world. – Mohandas K. Gandhi

Vancouver Island Contact and
Member since August 2006

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:10 pm

Pictures from today's visit

First glimpse of a white head in the nest
Beacon Hill Eagle nest March 2-2019.jpg
Change of shift
Beacon Hill eagle nest change of shift Mar 2-2019.jpg
Gazing lovingly at their eggs :)
Beacon Hill eagles looking at their eggs Mar 2-2019.jpg

Member since August 2006

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:15 pm

Pair in the nest
Beacon Hill pair in the nest Mar 2-2019.jpg
This looks like an entrance but it was actually an exit. The wind was quite fierce and a bit of manoeuvering was needed before take off.
Beacon Hill exit Mar 2-2019.jpg
A bit of an egg roll and then a settle down
Beacon Hill nest egg roll Mar 2-2019.jpg

Member since August 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:14 pm

Very nice pics elle :thumlft: Too bad the eagles didn't show their left eyes. I was there for quite awhile this afternoon and headed for the nest site right away. All I saw was the top of a white head in the nest and no eyes showing :( I went back to the nest site twice with no luck in seeing anything in the nest. I headed over to see if one was on the totem pole but no eagle there. After walking around the woodsy area I was getting ready to leave and looked up to see an eagle in a tree close to the totem pole so I got out with my camera and took some pics before it flew off towards the ocean. I'm sure that one was the female and there was definitely nothing wrong with her eyes. I thought maybe she was going fishing for dinner so I headed back to the nest site again :roll: I didn't see or hear the eagles so I went home for a mug of hot tea to warm up :thumlft: I'll post some pics later.
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:58 pm

The only photo that shows any amount of white head feathers but no eye or beak.
IMG_0207 - Copy.JPG

The eagle in the tree near the totem pole. Now that I have a closer look, I think
this might be the male.
IMG_0319 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0326 - Copy.JPG
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

Woodlands Bleu

Post by Woodlands Bleu » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:35 am

Ahhh, wonderful to see. It's great to see both on the nest with eggs. Is the park greener now? In September it was kind of not from lack of rain. We were only there for a few hours but it was wonderful to see it up close and personal. Thank you Lynda and Kay! Your vision brings us vision and smiles.
carolyn
An upside down dog is a happy dog dreaming sweet dreams.
carolyn

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:42 pm

Yes Carolyn. It is very green now. We had buckets of rain this past winter and of course snow last month.

Member since August 2006

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:52 pm

Thanks Kay. I was lucky to witness a change of shift at the nest. I think your pic is of the male and it is the female that has an injured or missing left eye. :( My picture of the eagle hovering over the nest is the female. She managed well and flew confidently :luck:

Member since August 2006

Calypso

Post by Calypso » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:48 pm

I wonder if the eagle pair who have been seen around the Ross Bay cemetery are the Beacon Hill pair, or a new mated pair.
Any ideas?

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:37 pm

Hi calypso. I haven't seen a pair of eagles at the cemetery but I saw a photo someone posted on Facebook a couple of weeks ago. I don't think it is the Beacon Hill eagles but it could be a new pair or an eagle whose mate died and perhaps it found a new mate. Please continue to report here if you see the eagles at the cemetery. It would be very much appreciated if you could get a photo. Thanks.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:00 pm

I spent some time in the park today watching the eagles. I think everyone in Victoria was in the park :w00t: I had to drive around looking for a parking spot. Finally got one way down the road near the totem pole. When I arrived at the nest site the female was in the nest; just the top of her head was visible. Two minutes later the male flew in and landed on the branch beside the nest. A minute later he hopped down onto the side of the nest and the female finally got up and flew up to the top of the perch tree beside the nest. When I went back later the female was gone and the male was still in the nest. I will post some photos later.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:33 pm

Some photos of the eagles this afternoon.

Just after Mr BHP hopped down into the nest from the branch above.
IMG_0547 - Copy.JPG

Mrs BHP cleaning her beak at the top of the perch tree.
IMG_0559 - Copy.JPG

Mrs BHP surveying her territory.
IMG_0566 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:37 pm

One last photo that I took just before I left the park. Mr BHP was still in the nest
and Mrs BHP was gone. I didn't get a look at the left eye of either of them.
IMG_0577 - Copy.JPG

There was a very scary incident in the park this afternoon. I was at Fountain Lake photographing Mr Redhead Duck when I heard 2 bangs near the children's petting farm. The peafowl started vocalizing then I noticed some people rushing towards the parking area beside the petting farm. I didn't go over to see what was happening for about 10 minutes then I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a vehicle sitting on top of another one over the barrier dividing the parking lanes. Apparently an elderly couple were leaving and the driver hit the car next to it while he was backing up. Then his vehicle went out of control while the driver was trying to straighten out and he must have hit the excellerator instead of the brake pedal. His vehicle rammed the front of a vehicle on the opposite side of the parking lane, then went right over the divider and landed on top of a vehicle in the next parking lane. Two big burly guys managed to get the elderly couple out of the vehicle and over to the steps of the statue on the lawn. It seemed to take the fire trucks and ambulances a long time to get there! The CTV crew arrived and were interviewing a few people to find out what happened. It was on the 6pm news tonight. Here's the link to the video and the segment starts at about the 4:58 point.

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/vide ... =1.1777488

PGully

Post by PGully » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:11 pm

I am relatively new to Victoria and find that I can view the (a) Bald Eagle nest from my home to the east of the park. Is the nest between the playground and the bandshell the one that is being referred to in the posts as being near the totem pole? I saw the changeover between the adults yesterday morning.

Woodlands Bleu

Post by Woodlands Bleu » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:37 pm

Great report Kay....PGully, you lucky duck! To see the nest from home, hopefully you can give even more detailed reports. :)
carolyn (in Texas) I saw the park and the nest in September on a walk with Lynda and Ian and my husband.
carolyn
An upside down dog is a happy dog dreaming sweet dreams.
carolyn

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”