The Wildlife Corner

An area to chat and keep in touch with people you meet in the more formal areas of the board

Moderator: Garden Fence TA's

Sunnybird1995

Re: EAGLE Chatters Nest

Post by Sunnybird1995 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:21 am

:eag:
Good Eagle News:
Mere is on her nest.
Attachments
DSCN4247 Rev On the Nest 10 March 2019.jpg
Mere on Nest 10 March 2019
Still looking for E9 :rh: October 12, 2019
Harriet Forever :brknhrt: March 2023

laniebelle

Post by laniebelle » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:01 pm

Sunnybird, thanks for the photo of your Mere.

Here is an interesting article that summarizes the history of the Trio Nest
https://tinyurl.com/y5szlnf3
Laniebelle
Remembering Dad Decorah, the greatest eagle Dad ever
follow: Decorah, DNN, SWFEC, NEFL, AEF DC, FSV, Berry, Trio, Standley Lake, Big Bear, Smola

eagleslanding

Post by eagleslanding » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:01 pm

It looks like the chief spirit eagle to me. Does not look like a leaf to me. Looks like a baby poofy eagle. And the weird thing is if I turn the photo upside down it looks like the face of an adult white headed bald eagle looking straight at me. Surely this family has a spiritual sense about it. Yes the berry nest on ancient grounds.

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:37 am

Sunnybird1995 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:21 am
Good Eagle News:
Mere is on her nest.
Some eaglets soon ?
:rh: E9: 7 yo / E14 :rh:
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. B.Shofstall
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:38 am

eagleslanding wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:01 pm
It looks like the chief spirit eagle to me. Does not look like a leaf to me. Looks like a baby poofy eagle. And the weird thing is if I turn the photo upside down it looks like the face of an adult white headed bald eagle looking straight at me. Surely this family has a spiritual sense about it. Yes the berry nest on ancient grounds.
Thanks Eagleslanding, i will have to check upside down ! :huggie:
I can see may be an eye and a beak but not sure or may be i didn't watch the good place...
Last edited by Philjo56France on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:40 am

Some good news from SE21 the australian Sea Eagle
2019-03-11_09h15_36.jpg
2019-03-11_09h16_48.jpg
2019-03-11_09h32_39.jpg
You have a direct acces here https://www.facebook.com/HigherGroundRaptors/ and you don't need to be registered to the Higher Ground Raptors FB page.
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:34 am

Sorry to announce, an egg broke at Decorah during the night
the pics are from around 07h00 am today nest time as Mom is leaving with sure an egg shell stucked on her feathers
2019-03-11_13h24_23.jpg
2019-03-11_13h24_33.jpg
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

laniebelle

Post by laniebelle » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:09 pm

So sorry to hear about the Decorah egg, Phil. Hopefully the other two will hatch just fine.

Here is the official announcement from RRP:

We're sorry to let everyone know that one of the eggs at N2B has broken. It was stuck to Mom's feathers when she exited the nest for shift change this morning. The contents were still fluid, which means that the egg wasn't frozen, and the egg was one of the older/browner eggs. Eggs become stained as they are rolled in the nest, which, until all the eggs have picked up roughly the same amount of color, means that older eggs tend to appear browner or darker. Based on what we saw during shift change, we think this might have been the first egg.

Watchers might find this video upsetting: https://youtu.be/5BYtEoTutvc.

What happened? We don't believe either eagle punctured it, but other than that, we don't know for sure. The first egg was laid between two very large snowstorms, and Mom and DM2 did not have a chance to get the egg cup as thickly padded as they usually do. It may have been rolled against a hard stick and cracked. It could have cracked today, but it also could have developed a tiny crack early on that finally split as the egg was rolled and incubated by Mom and DM2.

As hard as it is to see, it might be for the better in the long run - especially if this was, as we suspect, the first egg. We heard from a lot of followers who were concerned about the eight-day spread between the first and last egg. Sibling aggression isn't unknown at the Decorah nest and a difference of eight days would have resulted in a large size and weight discrepancy between the oldest and youngest eagles. The youngest eaglet would have had a very hard time defending itself from its much larger sibling. If these two eggs make it to hatch, we'll have a more equitable age spread in the nest.

Is this the first year we'll only have two eaglets to watch? No. In 2016 only two eggs hatched and in 2008, Mom's first year, she laid just two eggs.

We have our talons crossed, we're happy for warmer, brighter weather, we're trusting the eagles, and we're looking forward to the remaining two eggs hatching! The first eaglet to hatch will be D32.
Laniebelle
follow: Decorah, DNN, SWFEC, NEFL, AEF DC, FSV, Berry, Trio, Standley Lake, Big Bear, Smola

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:28 am

RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Sunnybird1995

Post by Sunnybird1995 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:38 am

More Good Eagle News
After an early morning appointment I drove to the lake to look for eagles.
Nothing at the lake or Eagle Tree, so I headed to Mere & Pere's nest.
As I am driving around a corner, I thought it was a turkey in a cornfield, but the white head popped up!
The photo is blurry because I was so excited and quickly grabbed my camera before the eagle flew off.
I could tell it had caught something & was flying low back towards the nest.
My next pic is the Eagle in the nest. I did get video of her "shimmie" back down on the nest.
There are eggs.
:luck:
Wings crossed for successful hatchng. I will know more the end of March or first week of April.
A great morning. :woohoo:
Attachments
DSCN4266 (2) Rev Eagle field.jpg
Eagle in Cornfield 12 March 2019
DSCN4267 Rev on nest 12 March 2019.jpg
On the Nest 12 March 2019
Still looking for E9 :rh: October 12, 2019
Harriet Forever :brknhrt: March 2023

eagleslanding

Post by eagleslanding » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:48 pm

From the raptors blog site. Rain is not insulating. Snow is insulating. Corn husks are 10 times more effective in insulating than foam insulation. Those eagles are on to something. Those Iowa fields corn husks this year have been dragged into the nests quit a bit this year. Also been getting alot of freezing rain and the temps/wind chills have been down to minus35F. Dad is smaller than mom and mom's brood patches are usually larger than dad's. Dad eagle lines his eggs to brood in a row.
Mom eagle tends to line her eggs to brood in a triangle. So the eggs have more viability above 29 degrees F. So many factors play a part in an egg. But the eagles do the best they can.

laniebelle

Post by laniebelle » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:16 pm

SWFL Eagles ~ E12 Fledges & Triumphantly Returns To The Nest! ~ 79 Days Old 3.12.19

From Lady Hawk
Published on Mar 12, 2019

E12 took her maiden voyage today at 4:48 PM and lands on the snag tree. E12 will successfully return to the nest at 4:57 PM. Congratulations E12 on hitting this huge milestone at 79 days old. E12 does a perfect landing on the snag for her first flight and sticks it like a pro. E12 turns around and looks back at the nest and at E13 on the attic as if to say "See what I just did?" ♥♥ Multiple cam coverage included.

E12 will stay on the snag for 9 minutes before triumphantly returning to the nest tree - landing on the upper trunk by the cam housing before dropping back down to the nest. Another perfect landing for E12! E13 drops down to the nest excited and mobs E12 lol Welcome home!! They both will fly up to the attic and perch close to one another - a successful milestone has been checked off for E12 and now we await E13's fledge! Thank you for watching!

Video captured & edited by Lady Hawk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FHR-fhgt74
Laniebelle

laniebelle

Post by laniebelle » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:18 pm

Posted by MaryF on SWFEC Forum:
Another video by LadyHawk. This one is of the owl attack on E13. It's hard to see very much but it's a WOW moment! :angry: Thank you LadyHawk!!!
Nothing new to report about 13 although some have seen 13 flapping wings, a PS and calling out. The Pritchetts have been notified
SWFL Eagles ~ E13 Attacked By Owl ~ Knocked Off Attic Branch 3.12.19
From Lady Hawk
Published on Mar 12, 2019

E13 was sleeping on the attic branch (E12 was in the nest) when an owl hits E13 and knocks him off the branch. E13 fell below the nest near the porch and landed on a branch. E13 can be seen moving around and flapping his wings on this branch so it appears that E13 is okay. In the morning, E13 is going to have to fledge to to get back to the nest. Hopefully E13 will sit tight tonight on the branch and be able to fly tomorrow. It is also possible that E13 stays on his branch for a period of time until he figures out how to get back to the nest. Thank you for watching!
Video captured & edited by Lady Hawk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEjnyd_ ... 9WNgkwMOHU
Laniebelle

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:08 am

Sunnybird1995 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:38 am
More Good Eagle News
After an early morning appointment I drove to the lake to look for eagles.
Nothing at the lake or Eagle Tree, so I headed to Mere & Pere's nest.
As I am driving around a corner, I thought it was a turkey in a cornfield, but the white head popped up!
The photo is blurry because I was so excited and quickly grabbed my camera before the eagle flew off.
I could tell it had caught something & was flying low back towards the nest.
My next pic is the Eagle in the nest. I did get video of her "shimmie" back down on the nest.
There are eggs.
:luck:
Wings crossed for successful hatchng. I will know more the end of March or first week of April.
A great morning. :woohoo:
Great ! :huggie:
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:41 am

RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Return to “Garden Fence Chat”