Metchosin, Westshore and Sooke Bald Eagles- 2018-2019 Season

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
elle
Content Provider

Metchosin, Westshore and Sooke Bald Eagles- 2018-2019 Season

Post by elle » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:58 pm

Welcome to the 2018-2019 thread for Metchosin, Westshore and Sooke are Bald Eagles.

This thread is for ground observations and pictures and videos of Bald Eagle nests in the Westshore/Metchosin/Sooke areas which are located 30- 45 minutes west of Victoria.
There are several nests in this area that have been successful in raising young over the past 4 or 5 years.

Threads from previous years can be viewed HERE
Be the change that you want to see in the world. – Mohandas K. Gandhi

Vancouver Island Contact and
Member since August 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Metchosin, Westshore and Sooke Bald Eagles- 2018-2019 Season

Post by sassyk » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:32 pm

I saw one of the eagles from the Farhill Rd. nest perched in a tree a short distance from their nest tree today.
IMG_9269 - Copy.JPG

Their nest looks like it needs some attention; no new sticks visible.
IMG_9270 - Copy.JPG
IMG_9271 - Copy.JPG
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:24 pm

I just got word from one of my birding pals that both the Farhill and Witty's pairs were in attendance working on their nests today :thumlft: She also saw an immature eagle and another pair near the Olympic View Golf course.
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:26 pm

From JudyB:
ANNOUNCEMENT
Hi everyone! We've done some work on the forum over the last couple of days which unfortunately made it harder for some people to log in and stay logged in. We think we've found and fixed the problem, but it may require folks to delete their browser cookies in order to log in.

We're still working on this, but have instructions for deleting cookies for several popular browsers here - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13&p=148341#p148341 - and you can probably find the method for other browsers on the internet - and we hope to add more tomorrow.

If you have any additional suggestions or would be willing to write instructions for one of the other browsers, please let me know!

We are sorry for the inconvenience, but the work we've done will keep the forum more stable and hopefully more accessible.

If you can log in and post, if you have any questions or can help with additional instructions, please post on the Report Cams Down and Forum Errors thread in the Technical Help area.

If you cannot log in and post, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:45 pm

After a couple of years without a nest and one of the pair missing, the Langford Lake eagle has found a new mate. One of my birding friends saw the pair a couple of weeks ago flying over the lake and around the area where the nest was. The tree is still standing but unfortunately it is in the area that is being developed. My friend has been corresponding with the Planning Dept. in Langford to request assurance that the nest tree will not be removed or damaged. For the first time in a couple of years, my sister who lives in Westhills and walks around the lake often, saw 2 eagles perched in the same tree where the previous pair were always perched :woohoo: It will be interesting to see if they build a new nest, if they haven't already :luck:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:53 am

Saw both eagles in the Pedder Bay area from Albert Head Lagoon yesterday. We also saw both eagles from the Parry Bay area from Tower Point. It was bitterly cold so we did not venture out to those 2 areas.

Both eagles from the Witty's Lagoon nest were perched in the trees and out on the marker.

Obviously none of these 3 pairs are incubating eggs yet :luck: Photos to come.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:32 pm

Farhill Rd. eagle nests yesterday. We did notice whitewash on the road under the old nest.
IMG_0422 - Copy.JPG

We did not see any new sticks added to this 2nd nest.
IMG_0424 - Copy.JPG

Both eagles were soaring around over the trees then landed in a snag across the bay.
IMG_0425 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:42 pm

Witty's Lagoon eagles yesterday. This looked like the male perched on the marker.
IMG_0434 - Copy.JPG

Female perched near the old nest tree by the stairs. New metal stairs!
IMG_0439 - Copy.JPG

Neither eagle flew near the nest tree. At one time the female flew in that direction by kept on going.
IMG_0446 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:59 pm

My birding partner and fellow WiTS volunteer saw an adult in the Farhill Rd. nest and one in the Witty's Lagoon nest on Tues. :woohoo:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:18 pm

My birding partner and fellow WiTS volunteer was very happy to see the eagles at Langford Lake have built a new nest. They have not nested for a few years after their old nest fell. It is believed that one of the pair did not return to the area a couple of years ago as only 1 eagle has been seen in the area. She was happy to see an eagle in the nest incubating :woohoo: I wish them luck with producing eaglets this season :luck:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:36 pm

My fellow WiTS volunteer was advised by a property owner who lives near the old nest tree, that there are two eaglets in the new nest :woohoo: We visited the area today and saw two big eaglets in the nest. We also saw both adults perched in different trees watching the eaglets. The construction is ongoing but it doesn’t seem to be bothering the eagles.
Langford Lake Eagles 3 July.JPG

The ongoing construction site. The old nest tree is the tallest tree on the left;
the new one is on the right of the other tall trees.
Langford Lake Construction Site 3 July.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:14 pm

I visited the Farhill Rd. nest yesterday and did not see any adults. We saw some dark feathers in
the nest and a wing flap twice (which I didn't capture in a photo) but the eaglet did not get up.

This photo was taken from Duke Rd.
Farhull Rd. Eagle Nest.JPG

This photo was taken from Park Rd. The eaglets back feathers are visible
in the middle of the nest.
Farhill Rd. Eaglet.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:25 pm

I visited the Langford Lake eagle nest yesterday and saw the 2 eaglets sitting up in the nest.
Langford Lake Eaglets.JPG

For the first 15 minutes we did not see the adults. Then we heard an Osprey calling and both the eagles came flying out from the nest tree area and chased the Osprey away. The female eagle then flew to a favourite perch tree to watch the nest.
Langford Lake Female2.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:58 pm

The lone eaglet at Witty's Lagoon was sitting up in the nest when I viewed the nest from Tower Point. It was clouding over and very windy at the time. One of the adults flew into the treed area but we couldn't find it. The eaglet in the nest is near the bottom of the photo a bit to the right from the centre.
Witty's Lagoon Eaglet 4 July.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:28 pm

I visited the Langford Lake eagles yesterday. Both eaglets are branching :woohoo:
They are both perched on the top branch on the right of the tree in this photo.
Langford Lake Eaglets 15 July.JPG

One of the adults was perched in a favourite tree near the boardwalk.
Langford Lake Eagle1 July 15.JPG

The same adult flew from the perch tree, out over the lake, swooped down to grab
something, then flew to a nearby tree, looking down at the lake. We didn't see
anything in his talons.
Langford Lake Eagle2 July 15.JPG

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”