Content Provider

Re: Oak Bay Eagles, Oak Bay BC - 2018/2019 Season

Post by sassyk » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:30 pm

This was just before Dad decided it was time to mate :rh:
IMG_9943 - Copy.JPG
IMG_9944 - Copy.JPG
IMG_9950 - Copy.JPG
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:31 pm

The mating attempt :luck:
IMG_9952 - Copy.JPG
IMG_9956 - Copy.JPG
IMG_9959 - Copy.JPG
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:33 pm

Some bonding time together after the mating attempt.
IMG_9960 - Copy.JPG
IMG_9961 - Copy.JPG
IMG_9968 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:22 pm

I just heard from my friend Marie who saw and photographed both eagles in the perch tree across from the Golf Course today. Good news :thumlft: However, I did not see any new sticks in any of the nests the last time I was there :chin:

Marie also saw and photographed an immature flying around the nest area and right over the adults and they weren't bothered by its presence so perhaps it was one of theirs.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:18 pm

Marie's report from her nest visits today:

The female was just flying into the upper new nest at the Golf Course this morning when Marie arrived. She was fussing with nesting material then settled down, so Marie is sure there is an egg or eggs in the nest. She was still in the nest at 5pm today when Marie went back on her way home.

The Fire Hall female was also deep in the nest. There was a lot more whitewash under the Sylvan Lane nest today so that seems promising. The Lansdowne pair are still thinking about it; they are not in the nest yet.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:39 pm

Marie saw an eagle in the perch tree at Anderson Hill the other day :thumlft:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:35 am

I heard from a lady who lives at Ten Mile Point that the eagles have been sitting in the Lansdowne nest constantly for the past 5 days. She has been watching the nest through her binoculars for many years :woohoo:

Marie said the eagles at the Golf Course continue to sit in the upper 'penthouse' nest and she continues to see lots of whitewash on the road under the nest on Sylvan Lane :thumlft:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:29 pm

I visited the nests in Oak Bay today. I did not see or hear any eagles around the Lansdowne/Beach Dr. nest or anywhere in the area. I took photos from different vantage points and if there was an eagle in the nest incubating it must have been lying very flat :roll: No eagles on the snag by the Yacht Club or near Cattle Point.

Photo taken from the street behind the nest tree.
IMG_0588 - Copy.JPG

Photo taken from across the street from the nest tree.
IMG_0590 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:37 pm

It was very noisy at the Fire Hall nest; a big truck blocking part of the road and appeared to be cleaning pipes :dunno: I did not see or hear any eagles in the nest, nest tree or the trees on York Place. After I had been there for 10 minutes I noticed 2 adult eagles and 1 juvenile soaring high above. I don't know if they were taking a break from incubating eggs on such a warm day or if something happened to the eggs :dunno: I thought if there was an eagle in the nest incubating it would have squawked at the ones soaring overhead.
IMG_0599 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0600 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0603 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:44 pm

One of the Golf Course eagles was in the upper penthouse nest; appeared to be incubating :luck: I did not see or hear the other one anywhere in the area.
IMG_0610 - Copy.JPG

This photo was taken from the lookout area at Anderson Hill.
IMG_0618 - Copy.JPG

I spoke to one of the neighbours on Island Rd. and he said the eagles were around yesterday but not anywhere near either nest. I did not see any eagles on Trial Island today :(

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:14 am

Marie did a nest check Tues. morning. She said there definitely was one eagle in each of the Fire Hall, Golf Course and Lansdowne nests. The male at the Golf Course was in the favourite tree across the road. One eagle from the Fire Hall nest was soaring around her building near the marina yesterday at lunch time. She still couldn't see an eagle in the nest or the nest tree on Sylvan Lane but did see more whitewash on the road below the nest :luck:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:24 am

Marie saw 2 eagles on Mary Todd Island at lunch time on Wed. and later at about 5pm both on the Channel Marker. Those are 2 spots where she sees the Firehall eagles perched often so is not sure they have eggs/chicks :dunno: She still has not seen an eagle in the nest on Sylvan Lane. She continues to see lots of whitewash below the nest but no signs of carcass from feeding.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:57 pm

My birding partner and fellow WiTS volunteer saw an adult on the Sylvan Lane nest today :woohoo:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:40 pm

Marie continues to see the Fire Hall eagles out and about and hasn't seen an eagle in the nest for some time. She saw the pair at Willows the other day, so I think we can safely say this nest has failed :( Wish we could look into the nest to see if they actually had eggs and whether they did hatch and the chick(s) died :cry1: We will never know.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri May 31, 2019 3:09 pm

I was away from May 3rd until May 28th and haven't had time to visit the nests since getting home. One of my fellow WiTS volunteers has been making regular visits to all of the nests in Oak Bay and has told me there appears to be only 1 eaglet in the Lansdowne/Beach Drive nest and possibly 2 eaglets in the Sylvan Lane nest.

Sadly the Firehall and Golf Course nests appear to have failed :( There has been no action at either of those nests. She was informed that a fight occurred at the Firehall nest site with one dead eagle hanging in the tree, which was removed by one of the firemen.

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”