Oak Bay Eagles, Oak Bay BC - 2018/2019 Season

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Oak Bay Eagles, Oak Bay BC - 2018/2019 Season

Post by sassyk » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:08 am

I was visiting family yesterday up the road from the golf course nest so I decided to see if the eagles were home. I didn't see or hear them anywhere but did notice there are a few new sticks in the newest upper nest. The older upper nest looks like it is covered in greenery and the lower nest looks quite neglected.

Lower nest.
IMG_9004 - Copy.JPG

Older upper nest.
IMG_9003 - Copy.JPG

Newer upper nest.
IMG_9002 - Copy.JPG
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:02 pm

Drove by a few nests this afternoon.

An adult was preening above the Lansdowne nest.

An adult was perched in a tree at Glen Lyon School.
Be the change that you want to see in the world. – Mohandas K. Gandhi

Vancouver Island Contact and
Member since August 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:12 pm

Thanks elle. I'll be visiting family tomorrow so will take my camera and see if there are any eagles at the Golf Course nest :luck: I wish it would stop raining so I can get out to visit some nests :(
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:47 am

Went by the golf course nest and Glenlyon school late yesterday afternoon; there were no eagles seen or heard in the area :(

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:27 pm

There was an eagle perched at Glen Lyon School today.

Member since August 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:46 pm

Marie saw both Lansdowne adults perched above the nest on Jan. 5th.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:27 pm

From JudyB:
ANNOUNCEMENT
Hi everyone! We've done some work on the forum over the last couple of days which unfortunately made it harder for some people to log in and stay logged in. We think we've found and fixed the problem, but it may require folks to delete their browser cookies in order to log in.

We're still working on this, but have instructions for deleting cookies for several popular browsers here - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13&p=148341#p148341 - and you can probably find the method for other browsers on the internet - and we hope to add more tomorrow.

If you have any additional suggestions or would be willing to write instructions for one of the other browsers, please let me know!

We are sorry for the inconvenience, but the work we've done will keep the forum more stable and hopefully more accessible.

If you can log in and post, if you have any questions or can help with additional instructions, please post on the Report Cams Down and Forum Errors thread in the Technical Help area.

If you cannot log in and post, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:51 pm

:announce: Mrs Fire Hall is incubating in the Fire Hall nest! They are always the first and this year is no exception despite the unseasonable weather. I am glad they have chosen the Fire Hall nest this year as the property below the York Place nest has apparently sold and there is fencing all around indicating construction may be imminent.

Member since August 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:50 pm

Good news elle :woohoo: I haven't done a tour of the Oak Bay nests since before Christmas. I do remember Marie telling me on Dec 21st that Esther told her both eagles had been at the nest almost every day for a couple of weeks prior to that. I am also happy that they have chosen to use the fire hall nest this season and pleased that they appear to be incubating :thumlft:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:48 pm

Finally got out to do a tour of the nests in Oak Bay today. Both adults were at the Lansdowne nest; male in the nest, female on a branch beside the nest. We had been there for only about 10 mins. when the male got up, hopped up onto the branch beside the female then up onto her back and they mated :woohoo: We both were quite certain they didn't connect; it was a bit breezy up there :roll: There is construction going on behind the nest property and also across the street but the noise didn't seem to bother them. The male flew off towards the water just as we were driving away. Photos to come later.

Mr. Fire Hall was in the nest incubating but we didn't see too much of him; just the top of his head. We walked around to the cul-de-sac and chatted with the neighbour who lives on the corner; he told us the eagles have been in
the nest for at least 2 weeks. As we were walking back to the parking lot Mr. got up, started squawking then flew to the tall tree at the end of York Pl. where Mrs. had just landed. They shared a few squawks before she flew to the nest and settled herself for her turn at incubating duties. The lighting wasn't good but I will post a few photos later.

There were no eagles seen or heard in the area of the Golf Course nest, 1 eagle on the post on Trial Island, no eagles seen or heard around Anderson Hill or Sylvan Lane.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:06 pm

This is the old nest used by the Anderson Hill eagles. David Hancock installed a cam on this nest after the eagles had left then when the eagles returned they built a new nest a block away :roll:
IMG_0019 - Copy.JPG

Their newest nest that the eagles haven't used for a few years. These 2 photos were taken from the rock wall at the road.
IMG_0020 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0021 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:14 pm

A few photos of the Fire Hall eagles yesterday. Dad was in the nest in the first 2 photos.
IMG_9971 - Copy.JPG
IMG_9974 - Copy.JPG

He then flew to the perch tree where Mom was and told her it was her turn.
IMG_9986 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:21 pm

A few photos of the 3 Golf Course nests which all looked like they hadn't been tended to.

The upper nest has a lot of greenery growing in it.
IMG_9992 - Copy.JPG

The newest nest at the top of the secondary branch.
IMG_9993 - Copy.JPG

The lower nest which they have used many times during recent years. Gull remains still stuck to the side of the nest.
IMG_9994 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:24 pm

There was an eagle perched on the post on Trial Island which we are now believing is from the Sylvan Lane nest.
Sylvan Lane Eagle on Trial Island(2) 20 Feb.JPG
One of my birding friends saw both eagles sitting together on the post a few days ago.

All 3 of us zoomed in on the photo above and agree that the eagle's left leg looks a little lighter which could mean there is a band there :luck:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:28 pm

Photos of the Lansdowne/Beach Dr. eagles at the nest yesterday. The first one was taken from the street behind the nest tree. The rest were taken from Beach Dr. Mom on the branch and Dad in the nest.
IMG_9932 - Copy.JPG
IMG_9941 - Copy.JPG
IMG_9942 - Copy.JPG

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”