Lochside Eagles, Central Saanich BC - 2018/2019 Season

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
sassyk
Content Provider

Lochside Eagles, Central Saanich BC - 2018/2019 Season

Post by sassyk » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:59 am

Welcome to the Lochside Eagles thread for the 2018/2019 season. The nest is on private property on Lochside Drive which runs parallel to the Pat Bay Highway on the Saanich Peninsula and is easily viewed from the side of the road. The eagles have successfully fledged many eaglets in past years and 1 eaglet successfully fledged this past season. The eagles are often seen perched in tall trees along Lochside Drive near their nest, as well as in trees at the waters edge in Cy Hampson Park, a short distance down the road towards the Town of Sidney. They often hunt in the big fields across the road. Please feel welcome to post your observations, photos, videos and discussion of these eagles whenever you visit their nest area.

Observations and photos of these eagles from past seasons can be viewed here.
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Lochside Eagles, Central Saanich BC - 2018/2019 Season

Post by sassyk » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:51 pm

A friend saw one of the eagles perched near the nest today :woohoo:
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:12 pm

I did a tour of the nests on the peninsula yesterday. There were no eagles seen or heard around the Lochside Dr. nest area.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:54 pm

I visited the nest area yesterday but did not see or hear any eagles in the area :(

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:17 pm

On the way to the airport this morning I saw both eagles in their nest, moving sticks :thumlft: Only one was visible in the nest when we drove by on our way home. We didn't have time to stop for photos.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:25 pm

From JudyB:
ANNOUNCEMENT
Hi everyone! We've done some work on the forum over the last couple of days which unfortunately made it harder for some people to log in and stay logged in. We think we've found and fixed the problem, but it may require folks to delete their browser cookies in order to log in.

We're still working on this, but have instructions for deleting cookies for several popular browsers here - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13&p=148341#p148341 - and you can probably find the method for other browsers on the internet - and we hope to add more tomorrow.

If you have any additional suggestions or would be willing to write instructions for one of the other browsers, please let me know!

We are sorry for the inconvenience, but the work we've done will keep the forum more stable and hopefully more accessible.

If you can log in and post, if you have any questions or can help with additional instructions, please post on the Report Cams Down and Forum Errors thread in the Technical Help area.

If you cannot log in and post, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:20 pm

I did a tour of the nests on the peninsula yesterday. There were no eagles seen or heard around the nest but just as we were leaving the female flew in and perched in a tree near the nest tree. I did not see any new sticks in the nest. The photos are poor quality as it was very overcast and late in the day.
IMG_9918 - Copy.JPG
IMG_9915 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:43 pm

Two eagles in the fir trees north of the nest tree yesterday, observed by one of my birding friends.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:49 pm

I drove very slowly down Lochside with my windows open to listen and get a good look at the nest and surrounding trees on my way to and from Sidney today but did not see or hear any eagles around the nest area or anywhere along Lochside. An eagle could have been down in the nest but not visible.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:13 pm

As I was driving along the Pat Bay Hwy. yesterday I caught a glimpse of a white head in the nest. I went back to the nest site but did not see or hear any eagles in the area. There might have been an eagle in the nest incubating but I didn't stay long enough to see it get up.
Lochside Dr. Nest 29 Mar. 2019.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri May 03, 2019 9:47 am

I didn't have time to stop at the nest site on Tuesday; we ran out of time :roll: However, we did see one adult perched in a tree near the nest tree and the top of a white head in the nest while driving by on our way home :woohoo:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:32 pm

On May 15th my birding partner visited the nest site. She did not see or hear any eagles in the area.

I visited the nest area yesterday and did not see or hear any eagles in the area or any eaglets in the nest :( My birding partner checked on the nest while I was away last month and she did not see or hear any eagles in the area.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:29 am

David Hancock is pleased to invite all Hancock Wildlife Foundation volunteers and friends to celebrate

Fledgefest 2019

Sunday, August 18
1:00 pm - 5:00 pm

RSVP REQUIRED BY BY AUGUST 1ST TO:
Rosana Inacio: [email protected]
or
Sharon (gemini): [email protected]
See details HERE

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:17 pm

I drove by the nest area this afternoon and did not see any eaglets or adults in the area. There was one adult perched down the road near the dog park but I didn't take a photo of it; it was raining quite hard at the time.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:00 pm

A new thread for the Lochside Eagles for the 2019/2020 season has been opened here. This thread is now locked.

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”