Pa Sidney- BC Bald Eagle Nest - Epicure- Pat Bay - 2018-2019 Season

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
JudiW

Re: Pa Sidney- BC Bald Eagle Nest - Epicure- Pat Bay - 2018-2019 Season

Post by JudiW » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:47 pm

Ma Sidney I recognized her the moment I saw her photo.....maybe she left the territory and got hung up in Alaska or something so Pa took a new female Missy only speculation on my behalf.....but it sure looks like her :eag: :rh: :love: she's come back to claim her man :thumlft:

JudiW

Post by JudiW » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:38 pm

Happy New Year to all the regulars and pa and ma and new female missy on the Sidney thread :eag: :eag: :eag:

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:12 pm

Thanks JudiW Happy 2019 to you and all HWF eagle watchers :thumlft:

We drove around Pat Bay and the Epicure nest area today after dropping off a family member at the airport. I took my camera but I didn't take any photos; it was raining and there was no place to safely stop on the side of the road. Ma, or whichever female is now with our Pa, was perched at the top of the tallest tree on the First Nations property. I have photographed both eagles in that same tree in past years. Pa was perched in the tallest tree at the south end of what was the Epicure property. There was a line of vehicles behind us so we couldn't stop or even take a photo out the car window :) The snag nest is still intact and the newer nest on Towner Park Rd. is as well :woohoo: I will be doing a tour of the nests on the peninsula one day next week if the weather is good :luck: Hopefully I will be able to get some photos of both eagles.
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

JudiW

Post by JudiW » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:15 am

Has anyone checked on Pa Sidney and his new female Missy to see if they are around as I heard that 12 eagles were poisoned up this way on the Island 6 died and 6 are in rehab :eag: :eag: could any of the mature eagles be Pa and Missy as they ate from a dead animal carcuss that had been euthanized and has been disposed wrong

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:17 pm

I did a tour of most of the nests on the peninsula yesterday. Pa was perched in his usual tree at the south end of the Epicure property (now new owners) across from the beach. After a few minutes he flew to another tree on the same side of the property, snapped off a branch and flew off towards the nest area. While checking on their newer nest on Towner Park Rd. I spotted one of the eagles in a tree on the farmer's property across the road from the snag nest. I couldn't tell which one it was but see from my photo it was Pa. We headed up the road to check on the snag nest. It looked intact but I couldn't see any new branches. We saw an eagle flying north of the Epicure property, across W. Saanich Rd. and it landed in one of the trees on the left side of the road before Wain Rd. I parked in the area where the pump station is and walked up the road to get a better vantage point for some photos. It was very dull and the little sunshine we had in the morning had disappeared so the quality/lighting in the photos I took isn't good.

Pa in his perch tree across from the beach.
IMG_9871 - Copy.JPG

Pa in the second tree just before he snapped off a branch.
IMG_9877 - Copy.JPG

Pa in the tree on the farmer's property, taken from Towner Park Rd.
IMG_9884 - Copy.JPG
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:24 pm

Their newer nest on Towner Park Rd. I can see 2 new sticks :luck:
IMG_9883 - Copy.JPG

The eagle in the tree up the road from the Epicure property.
Pa was still perched in the tree on the farmer's property.
IMG_9894 - Copy.JPG

Another view of the same eagle. Does not look like our original Ma or Missy.
Possibly the new female who stayed with Pa last summer.
IMG_9901 - Copy.JPG

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:22 pm

From JudyB:
ANNOUNCEMENT
Hi everyone! We've done some work on the forum over the last couple of days which unfortunately made it harder for some people to log in and stay logged in. We think we've found and fixed the problem, but it may require folks to delete their browser cookies in order to log in.

We're still working on this, but have instructions for deleting cookies for several popular browsers here - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13&p=148341#p148341 - and you can probably find the method for other browsers on the internet - and we hope to add more tomorrow.

If you have any additional suggestions or would be willing to write instructions for one of the other browsers, please let me know!

We are sorry for the inconvenience, but the work we've done will keep the forum more stable and hopefully more accessible.

If you can log in and post, if you have any questions or can help with additional instructions, please post on the Report Cams Down and Forum Errors thread in the Technical Help area.

If you cannot log in and post, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:26 pm

I visited Pat Bay and both nest areas today but sadly I didn't see or hear Pa or any other eagles in the area :(

IMG_0526 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0517 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:17 pm

I did a tour of some of the nests I monitor on the Saanich Peninsula yesterday. I'm happy to report that Pa's new mate was
in the nest and appeared to be incubating :woohoo: I saw her picking up nesting material and pulling it around herself. I
did not see or hear any other eagles in the area :( Hoping next time I will see our beloved Pa :luck:

Pa Sidney Nest.JPG

JudiW

Post by JudiW » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:33 pm

Thank you Sassyk for the link I had lost it when I installed Microsoft Edge for Windows 10 :huggie: :eag: :hatch: :hatch: :eag:

Your in my prayers Elle, Ian bring Elle up here when she comes home and you still post your videos of Pa and Missy Sidney or Ma Sidney I and Gary we miss her my friend since Fledgefest 2007

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed May 01, 2019 11:56 am

I did a tour of the nests on the peninsula yesterday. Pa was in the perch tree on the farmer's property across from the nest site. Pa's new Ma was in the nest incubating. We did not see a feeding or any fuzzy heads so we could not confirm there are eaglets in the nest.
Pa Sidney(1).JPG
Pa Sidney(2).JPG
Pa Sidney(3).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed May 01, 2019 11:59 am

Pa's new Ma in the snag nest.
Pa Sidney's new Ma(1).JPG
Pa Sidney's new Ma(2).JPG

Ma & Pa's newest nest overlooking Pat Bay. They haven't used this nest for a few years.
Ma & Pa Sidney's newest nest.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:10 pm

I did a tour of some nests on the peninsula today and was very happy to see 2 eaglets in Pa’s snag nest :woohoo:
They both were flapping their wings and looked very healthy. Ma was perched in a tree near the nest then flew off.
Pa flew into the nest and it looked like he might have dropped some prey, then flew off again. Pa was later perched
in a tree beyond the farmer's field.

IMG_3159 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3162 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3164 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:12 pm

IMG_3190 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3198 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3222 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:25 pm

I went to see how Pa and his family are doing yesterday. Both eaglets were sitting up in the nest looking out over the meadow. We did not see Pa anywhere in the area but his new mate flew in with something in her talons. One of the eaglets rushed over to see what it was but we did not see Mom feeding the eaglets. She flew off a few minutes later. One of the eaglets decided it was nap time while the other one did some jumping up and down and flapping its wings. It was sitting in the nest looking in the direction where Mom had gone when we left.
Epicure Eaglets(1).JPG
Epicure Mom & Eaglets(1).JPG
Epicure Mom & Eaglets(2).JPG

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”