Report Cams Down and Forum Errors

Report cams up/down or if you need technical assistance.
JudyB
Admin

Re: Report Cams Down and Forum Errors

Post by JudyB » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:03 am

hwf-admin wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:29 pm
JudyB wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:53 pm
David Hathaway has run the utility to synchronize attachments. I’m thinking all the scrambled attachments have been fixed so there’s no way to know if it helped - but hopefully it will keep that from happening again. Please keep me posted. Thanks and :offtobed:
I am thusly reminded why I secretly loathe phpBB however I am now pleased to report that the software upgrade is now in place and seems to be running fine. It was certainly not without it's adventures but, seems good.

:dunno:
Thanks, David! Everything is looking good!

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:17 am

JudyB wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:03 am
hwf-admin wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:29 pm
JudyB wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:53 pm
David Hathaway has run the utility to synchronize attachments. I’m thinking all the scrambled attachments have been fixed so there’s no way to know if it helped - but hopefully it will keep that from happening again. Please keep me posted. Thanks and :offtobed:
I am thusly reminded why I secretly loathe phpBB however I am now pleased to report that the software upgrade is now in place and seems to be running fine. It was certainly not without it's adventures but, seems good.

:dunno:
Thanks, David! Everything is looking good!
Thanks David from me also ... and I agree Judy!

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:18 am

Good Morning All! Not sure if this will get posted or not, but here it goes.....I am logged in and typing this message, like I have about 5 or more times on another thread, and each time when I am hitting the submit button it is asking me to log in again. I was able to post one post on the Trio thread just noting it as a test, but was unable to edit that because once again it asked me to log in and I am just caught in a loop. Is anyone else having this issue?

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:23 am

Just to add to my previous post which obviously made it....but before that actually posted I received this error message after hitting the submit button the first time.....plus I am having problems uploading s'caps......so guess I don't have a s'cap to attach here. So the error message said: 'Post Review - At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.'

This is my 2nd try on this post.

Lynne
Topic Assistant

Post by Lynne » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:42 am

Good Morning,
I just posted at WR forum, but could not add scaps. "HTTP Error" message appeared. I tried a couple of times. Don't know if problem is at my end or with the HWF server.
Thanks.

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:49 am

SueB wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:23 am
Just to add to my previous post which obviously made it....but before that actually posted I received this error message after hitting the submit button the first time.....plus I am having problems uploading s'caps......so guess I don't have a s'cap to attach here. So the error message said: 'Post Review - At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.'

I just re-booted my computer and was able to post with s'caps, so I guess I am good for now. Not sure why I had so many problems this morning....everything was working fine for me last night.

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:32 am

9:31am........Just to add to Sue's post re. Delta2..........I've tried 2 or 3 times to make a post and it isn't working. Keeps wanting me to log in but I already am logged in. Every time I write something and hit the submit button it gives me the message to log in.
"Volunteers do not necessarily have the time..............they have the heart"..........Elizabeth Andrew

(Member since 9/10/11)

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:37 pm

Hi Lynne, Sue, Jean - and everyone else who may be having similar problems.

David Hathaway did an update to the forum software late last night - and there may be some settings that we had customized that got lost along the way.

1) I've heard from several people (including me) who had to log in several times (checking the "remember me" box each time) before the forum started remembering them. For now I want to see if that does resolve itself before I try searching the configuration files. If you are still needing to log in every time after logging out and maybe rebooting the computer, please let me know and I'll do some research on that.

2) When we first installed the software (or maybe after we did the first update back a year ago), we needed to add a patch so attachments worked correctly. If I remember the issue correctly, part of the problem was that you'd lose your pictures if you edited your post - and I know many observers edit their posts a couple of times to add new information, rather than making a new post. I understood that was supposed to be fixed in one of the updates that was included in what David Hathaway ran last night - but maybe it wasn't and we may need to re-do that patch. I know what I'm looking for, so I'll do some testing in the Practice thread and see if I can duplicate what you've been experiencing.

2a) I was assuming that the issues with adding screenshots involved attachments - if any of you are having trouble adding pictures using IMG tags, please let me know that so I can also check on that.

3) It occurs to me that we may need to resynchronize the attachments - when DH did that after the first attempt at the update, it seemed to solve the problem of pictures showing up where they don't belong. I'll see if the attachments panel recommends we do that, and do it if it appears to be out of sync.

4) A feature of the software is you can set it so it lets you know if anyone else has posted while you are typing a post - that's useful for "Make 30 Words out of a Word" and other threads in the Games Room area, but I think we had it turned off everywhere else. I'll do some spot checking and see if it is now turned on.

I will mention that I've got a cold and am doing more dozing than working on the computer, so I may not see additional comments immediately. I will check on everything as soon as I can. Thanks for your patience, and we will get all this sorted out as fast as we can.

Added - the Forum just asked me to log in again so I could post (which it hadn't done on my previous post) - and once I logged in, my post was gone. Happily using the back button got me back to where my nice long post was - and I've now copied it to my clipboard!

Lynne wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:42 am
Good Morning,
I just posted at WR forum, but could not add scaps. "HTTP Error" message appeared. I tried a couple of times. Don't know if problem is at my end or with the HWF server.
Thanks.
SueB wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:49 am
SueB wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:23 am

I just re-booted my computer and was able to post with s'caps, so I guess I am good for now. Not sure why I had so many problems this morning....everything was working fine for me last night.
Jean wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:32 am
9:31am........Just to add to Sue's post re. Delta2..........I've tried 2 or 3 times to make a post and it isn't working. Keeps wanting me to log in but I already am logged in. Every time I write something and hit the submit button it gives me the message to log in.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:09 pm

Hi everyone! Here's an update on the issues from my post above, with some requests for additional details. My new comments are in purple so they'll be easier to see. (Besides, I like purple!)

1) I've heard from several people (including me) who had to log in several times (checking the "remember me" box each time) before the forum started remembering them. For now I want to see if that does resolve itself before I try searching the configuration files. If you are still needing to log in every time after logging out and maybe rebooting the computer, please let me know and I'll do some research on that.
~ ~ All the "remember me" settings in config files are set properly. I'm guessing this may be an issue with cookies or the computer's cache, and should resolve itself in a day or so (possibly sooner if you reboot your computer). I did not quickly find reports of this being an issue for other forums - though I did discover that some users have more issues with Chrome than with Firefox. If anyone is still having the issue after a day or so, please do let me know, and I'll do more research.
~ ~ ADDED: When I went to open a second window to get a link for my response to issue 2, I needed to log in again - so there is still something clearly going on here. I've been in and out at least a dozen times lately without needing to log in, so I'm not sure what the trigger is. All clues are welcome!

2) When we first installed the software (or maybe after we did the first update back a year ago), we needed to add a patch so attachments worked correctly. If I remember the issue correctly, part of the problem was that you'd lose your pictures if you edited your post - and I know many observers edit their posts a couple of times to add new information, rather than making a new post. I understood that was supposed to be fixed in one of the updates that was included in what David Hathaway ran last night - but maybe it wasn't and we may need to re-do that patch. I know what I'm looking for, so I'll do some testing in the Practice thread and see if I can duplicate what you've been experiencing.
~ ~ I was unable to duplicate this - here's the thread where I tried - viewtopic.php?p=145669#p145669; if anyo ... . Thanks!

2a) I was assuming that the issues with adding screenshots involved attachments - if any of you are having trouble adding pictures using IMG tags, please let me know that so I can also check on that.

3) It occurs to me that we may need to resynchronize the attachments - when DH did that after the first attempt at the update, it seemed to solve the problem of pictures showing up where they don't belong. I'll see if the attachments panel recommends we do that, and do it if it appears to be out of sync.
~ ~ I looked and the attachments panel didn't say it was out of sync; DH may have done that after he did the update.

4) A feature of the software is you can set it so it lets you know if anyone else has posted while you are typing a post - that's useful for "Make 30 Words out of a Word" and other threads in the Games Room area, but I think we had it turned off everywhere else. I'll do some spot checking and see if it is now turned on.
~ ~ If people are still seeing this anywhere but the Games Room, please tell me which forum or thread is showing this; I checked a couple of active forums and it was turned off - but there's no easy way for me to check all forums (or if there is, I haven't found it yet!). Thanks!

I will mention that I've got a cold and am doing more dozing than working on the computer, so I may not see additional comments immediately. I will check on everything as soon as I can. Thanks for your patience, and we will get all this sorted out as fast as we can.

Added - the Forum just asked me to log in again so I could post (which it hadn't done on my previous post) - and once I logged in, my post was gone. Happily using the back button got me back to where my nice long post was - and I've now copied it to my clipboard!

Please let me know if you discover anything else that's not working as well as it did before the update, and I'll see what I can do - though maybe not until tomorrow. :)

Thanks!

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:22 pm

Hi All! JudyB, I've noticed today that it seems I am being automatically logged off after about 10 minutes of inactivity. Not sure if that is a setting or not that can be changed, but previously I am pretty sure it was longer than that, maybe even 30 minutes or more. Unfortunately sometimes when I'm on cams and things are happening I don't get back to posting for a little bit so having the extended time on my log in is nice.

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:27 pm

1:25pm.............I was on the Delta2 cams for a while...........I had to log in every single time I wanted to make a post............and it wasn't 10 minutes between posts as in Sue's post. I had to log in twice at times. And sometimes the posting came up without the boxes needed to make the post, so had to log in again there. If I wanted to edit or change anything, or to even sign of the zoomer cams I had to log in then too.
"Volunteers do not necessarily have the time..............they have the heart"..........Elizabeth Andrew

(Member since 9/10/11)

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:17 pm

SueB wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:22 pm
Hi All! JudyB, I've noticed today that it seems I am being automatically logged off after about 10 minutes of inactivity. Not sure if that is a setting or not that can be changed, but previously I am pretty sure it was longer than that, maybe even 30 minutes or more. Unfortunately sometimes when I'm on cams and things are happening I don't get back to posting for a little bit so having the extended time on my log in is nice.
Jean wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:27 pm
1:25pm.............I was on the Delta2 cams for a while...........I had to log in every single time I wanted to make a post............and it wasn't 10 minutes between posts as in Sue's post. I had to log in twice at times. And sometimes the posting came up without the boxes needed to make the post, so had to log in again there. If I wanted to edit or change anything, or to even sign of the zoomer cams I had to log in then too.
Around 11:50 am I tried purging the forum's cache - it was something that was suggested for an issue that seemed somewhat similar. Unfortunately, your posts were after that - though maybe you would need to log out and close the browser before it takes effect. I needed to sign in earlier today when I first checked in around that time, but haven't since then. I'll keep looking for other things to try.

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:45 pm

Judy, I’ve been booted off and had to log back in several times today; I had the “remember me” box checked. I’m not really sure of any particular reason or timing. At Berry College today, I was posting and noticed Bev was too but then all of a sudden her s’caps and posts disappeared. We both thought it strange. Maybe that’s when you purged the cache?
AKA: Marianne

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:18 am

7:17 am - Good Morning All! The Embedded cams at Delta2 are quite a bit behind real time.....normally the W Cam is right on but is now at least 1 1/2 minutes behind, and the E Cam is about 30 seconds behind, which is normal, but wondering if we can get them in sync with real time.

7:40 am - Edit: The W Embedded cam is now at least 3 minutes behind.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:51 am

SueB wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:18 am
7:17 am - Good Morning All! The Embedded cams at Delta2 are quite a bit behind real time.....normally the W Cam is right on but is now at least 1 1/2 minutes behind, and the E Cam is about 30 seconds behind, which is normal, but wondering if we can get them in sync with real time.

7:40 am - Edit: The W Embedded cam is now at least 3 minutes behind.
10:44 pm
Thanks, Sue! I just saw your message and brought up the embedded cams - and I love it when the still image has an eagle!
20190126_001.jpg

To the matter at hand, the embedded cams were going on and off when I got there, which made me suspect that Ken might be doing something. They now appear to both be streaming smoothly now, a little over 20 seconds apart. I'll try to check again in a little while.

Are you (and/or others) still having trouble staying logged in? I'm thinking clearing your browser cache for the last few days may help - and if it is a cache issue, it really should sort itself out after a day or two. I haven't had to log in yet today, and have checked the forum with both my desktop computer and my phone.

Return to “Technical Help”