Southern Vancouver Island BC Eagle Nests - 2018 Season

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
sassyk
Content Provider

Southern Vancouver Island BC Eagle Nests - 2018 Season

Post by sassyk » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:43 am

This thread is a place to post observations, photos and videos of eagle nests in the Southern Vancouver Island area that do not have their own dedicated thread set up. Anyone observing a nest and its resident eagles is welcome to post their observations and photos on this thread.

Link to previous seasons on the old forum:
2015-2018 Seasons

Link to previous seasons on the archived forum:
2013-2015 Seasons
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

Judith

Re: Southern Vancouver Island BC Eagle Nests - 2018 Season

Post by Judith » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:16 pm

There is a nest off of Ferguson Rd in Sidney BC, next to the Water View Condos and the Saanichton Park. It fell apart in the last storm but the adults are still there. Perhaps they will build again.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:25 pm

Judith welcome to the new forum and thanks for this info :thumlft: I used to watch a pair of eagles in that area many years ago but never did find their nest. WiTS did have a nest documented but the last time I saw the eagles in that area there were intruders. I photographed eagles in the trees near the end of James Island Road for a few years before they disappeared. Hopefully they will decide to nest this year :luck: Please let me know if you see the eagles building a new nest.
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:01 pm

I first reported on this nest in Central Saanich here. I visited this nest yesterday and sadly half of the nest has fallen down. It appears to be abandoned but unfortunately there were no neighbours out and about to chat with about the eagles.
IMG_1199 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:46 pm

Judith wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:16 pm
There is a nest off of Ferguson Rd in Sidney BC, next to the Water View Condos and the Saanichton Park. It fell apart in the last storm but the adults are still there. Perhaps they will build again.
Judith, I visited Saanichton Park yesterday and saw the nest. Some of the sticks were still on the ground around the tree. One of the adults was perched in the tree at the top of the path down to the beach. We could not see an adult in the nest but a neighbour who stopped to chat said she saw an adult in the nest. I'll be visiting again.

This is the adult perched in the nearby tree. The lighting was terrible at that time of the day.
IMG_1221 - Copy.JPG

This photo was taken from the path around the park area.
IMG_1201 - Copy.JPG

This is the base of the nest tree with several sticks from the nest.
IMG_1203 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:49 pm

This photo was taken from across the road from the nest tree.
IMG_1240 - Copy.JPG

This is the tree where an old nest was, at the other end of the little beach area.
IMG_1213 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:11 pm

My birding friend and I found a nest yesterday while walking along the trail at the end of Towner Park Road. It was hard to get a good look at it through all the big trees and we couldn't see if there was an eagle in it. We didn't see any eagles in the area but did hear one calling while we were on the trail on the other side of Towner Park. We'll be checking on it again during the season.
IMG_1396 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:47 pm

On Wed. I visited this nest on Towner Park Road that I reported on earlier (previous post). We saw one eaglet sitting on the side of the nest, mostly hidden by the branches. It hopped up onto what looked like a small branch above or beside the nest and flapped its wings a couple of times then landed in the nest. This nest is difficult to see; not too many vantage points that provide a good view :roll: We saw both adults flying around the area, calling back and forth to each other, then they both flew off together towards Pat Bay area.
Towner Park Eaglet1.JPG

Wing flapping behind greenery in middle of photo.
Towner Park Eaglet2.JPG

Eaglet is to the left of the main trunk.
Towner Park Eaglet3.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:11 pm

I visited this nest that I reported on earlier this year. The nest can be seen from the Pat Bay Highway near the Wain Rd. exit. We viewed the nest from Wain Rd. but it was quite breezy and we couldn't tell if we were seeing eaglets or leaves blowing across the nest; it was a long way away!
Littlewood Rd. Eagle Nest from Wain Rd.JPG

We walked the trail and found the nest again but it is a big cottonwood tree in full foliage :roll: We did not see or hear any eagles or eaglets in the area and there was not any whitewash on the trail or in the bushes around the nest tree.
Littlewood Rd. Eagle Nest.JPG

We saw an adult and a juvenile soaring in the area a while later then the adult landed on top of a tree across the field.
Littlewood Rd. Eagle.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:30 pm

I have been aware of this nest on private property in North Saanich for quite awhile but didn't visit it until recently. A lady who stopped to talk to me a few weeks ago while I was watching Genesis at the Epicure nest offered to show me where it is but I said no thank you because it was starting to get dark. I told her I was already aware of it and she said she was pretty sure there were 2 eaglets in the nest this year. I'll be visiting it more often next year.
Coal Pt. Eagle Nest1.JPG
Coal Pt. Eagle Nest2.JPG

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:31 am

Our Bald Eagles are protesting the loss of their nest: Please tell the world of the Croydon Eagle Outrage:

Please Come!

WHEN: Sunday, September 9, 2:00 PM

WHERE: At the site, off 24th Avenue (Grandview Corners), south on 160th Street (it becomes Croydon Drive south of SuperStore), at the corner of 20th Avenue.

An UPDATED map can be seen here:

For more details on the Croydon Eagle Destruction go to:

Thanks

David Hancock

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:16 pm

A new thread for the 2018/2019 season has been opened. Please post your observations and photos on the new thread here. This thread is now locked.

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”