Eagleholics Anonymous ~ 2018

An area to chat and keep in touch with people you meet in the more formal areas of the board

Moderator: Garden Fence TA's

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Re: Eagleholics Anonymous ~ 2018

Post by nightowl » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:29 am

Thanks Naoma, Scott, and Carolyn!

I'll have to try to get a better look at the little stinker next time he visits the suet. I've changed my thinking though...I'm leaning towards him being a Hairy since those are native here.

The Pileated wood pecker's call sounds familiar, but I can't say for certain I've heard one here. According to Cornell, they're native here, but they like wooded areas, so maybe there's too much human and automobile traffic around for their liking. Another thing I learned is that they're comparable in size to a crow! :shock: I"ve never seen one then cause I know how big crows are!
Member since May 9, 2006

windsong
Topic Assistant

Post by windsong » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:34 am

Hey everyone, been out a bit - things picking up at work. Checking in and seeing all the activity on woodpeckers. They are one of my favorite birds, and we have red bellies, pileated, hairy and downy here.

Sorry nightowl, but when you said you'd try to get a better look at the woodpecker underside, I had this sudden vision of you going up to him and lifting his little tail to take a look. LOL :grlol; I've never been able to get a good enough look at the little suckers to tell the differences between the hairy and downy. The red bellies are definitely bigger maybe double the size of the hairy and downy. And the pileated are massive. We have them in the woods right next to our house. You see them moving about occasionally, but they are very wary and rarely come out in the open. The are easily as big as a crow. One year we had a dead tree stump in our front yard full of bugs, and the pileated came in and started eating the bugs. We got to watch him for a good 15 minutes, until a car came down the road and disturbed him. They are so beautiful, I hope you get to see one.

Zoe and Porter are back to normal, and life goes on. Now if any plastic shopping bag comes into the house (rarely as I use the reusable shopping bags), I make sure it goes straight into the recycle bin which Porter cannot get into.

Tex - glad to see you - here foxy foxy :w00t:

Hugs all around, :grhug:
Fly like an eagle and touch the sky! - Pat
Member since 7/29/2016

Helpful Hints

Woodlands Bleu

Post by Woodlands Bleu » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:37 am

Good Morning....

Yes, indeed, Nightowl (Judy), the Pileated Woodpecker is comparable in size to a crow. It's a hoot to see it hanging on to our bird feeder. We have lots of big trees here which give them places to tap, tap, tap. I can hear them when I walk too, along with owls. It's a hoot....:)
Have a great day all y'all......(the coolest expression in Texas).
carolyn

And Hi pop in Pat....Glad kitties are OK.
An upside down dog is a happy dog dreaming sweet dreams.
carolyn

txelements

Post by txelements » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:51 pm

Evenin' All

Great s'caps of most beautiful eagles & nestviews, Iona :thumlft:

Nightowl,
old timers on EA may recall me saying long ago that my G/ma called the Pileated, Lord God's. It got that name from her because growing up the elders would say Lord God, look at the size of that woodpecker!
:D

Wind, Thur the years I've learned many birdcalls from first hearing, then eventually seeing the owner of the call. Porter & Zoe :thumlft:

Carolyn, I hear the GH owl here too, just haven't spotted one. Altho I did see an owl swoop across the road late afternoon a while back. It was too quick to ID. I need to google & see what other owls I have here.

Pleated hanging on your feeder, wow that would be neat.

Scott, the kids gave me a squirrel proof feeder. I've tried putting up the shepards hook again & hung it there but bring it in at night so as to keep the raccons from pulling the pole down trying to get to the seed. If they got it to the ground the "proof part" may not hold true.
:)

JuD, I've heard of the Frank & Gracie show. Fonda & Tomlin were on the ellen show earlier this week. Both are at 80 years old. To quote Carolyn, they were a hoot!
:D

elle, NestYas :bye 1:

Woodlands Bleu

Post by Woodlands Bleu » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:38 pm

TX, the raccoons have not been able to pull down my squirrel proof feeder from the Shepherd's hook. I have not had an issue since got the S.Q. feeder, which is not the kind that has a spinner on it. You might be able to test it and see and if it does not work, continue to bring it in.
carolyn
carolyn

txelements

Post by txelements » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:22 pm

Pic of shepards hook. Tried to turn it right but no go.
Kase made me the flat feeder from a pine heart he had left over. I can still feed the squirrels some there as well as other spots in the yard.

Suet hung on it too.
20190109_154403.jpg

mmud
Content Provider

Post by mmud » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:40 pm

:wave: Judy

Nice that you were able to watch a Pileated woodpecker that long Pat. 5 mins or so is the longest I've seen so far. :)
Good to hear the kitties are doing well.
"I had this sudden vision of you going up to him and lifting his little tail to take a look." :mihihi:

Cool that you are able to see and hear such a nice variety of birds in your area Carolyn. :)

"Lord God, look at the size of that woodpecker!" That seems like a reasonable way to name that bird Naoma. :mihihi:
Nice pic of your feeders. If it ever was on the ground I think the raccoons would have an easier time moving it around to get seeds than a squirrel would. I had two feeders of a smiliar design but the cage around it was a few inches from the tube so only the smaller birds could get through to perch. I'd still be using them if I could find the proper tube replacement which apparently they no longer make.
Grace and Frankie season 5 starts tomorrow and Jane & Lily are still fun to watch.
Joined HWF: Sun. Apr 12, 2009

Woodlands Bleu

Post by Woodlands Bleu » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:47 pm

TX, your feeder hangs a lot lower than mine, which could be a raccoon snatching issue. Also, my hook is not near where they can find a grip (it's right next to the pool - could have a wet raccoon.)

Raccoon wanted the seed, it seemed like an easy way to feed.
And it would be so, if the cold water did not show,
the raccoon did not want to swim........

So....it left, waved adios, went on to easier pastures,
down the road a bit, we watched it split. :)
carolyn
carolyn

txelements

Post by txelements » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:30 pm

My shepards hook is about 6 ft high after grounded.
The shallow feeder hung low was the first one the coons pulled down bending the pole before I gave up.
Colin suggested a hanger attached to the massive one tree actually in my yard.

Work in progress but a labor of love in this tiny back yard. The house front sits further from the road in front but I guess it's a toss up. :)

Scott, et al, a bird letting any of us not only approach yet lift its tail , , , , :w00t: & :luck: & :D

Woodlands Bleu

Post by Woodlands Bleu » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:26 pm

I think, Naoma, that what Colin suggested would work well. I think that maybe knockout roses would look lovely in your backyard along the fence line, just a few, easy care, and just pretty. With Southern weather would bloom a lot for you. My pink one is gorgeous even now.
Hugs,
carolyn
carolyn

Iona

Post by Iona » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:44 pm

NEFL nest

Two scaps of Samson, don't know why I keep putting a P in it.
NEFL EAGLES 1 17 19 5 46PM SAMSON.jpg
NEFL EAGLES 1 17 19 5 47PM SAMSON.jpg
1 of A2
NEFL EAGLES 1 17 19 5 49PM A2.jpg
I wonder if GF will be back

Love and hugs to all

mmud
Content Provider

Post by mmud » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:57 pm

Cute poem Carolyn. :)

When an eagle lifts it's tail I make sure I'm out of the splatter zone Naoma. :mihihi:

Lovely closeups of Samson Iona. :)

Pileated Woodpeckers, Ravens, and More - UPDATE January 17, 2019

Piliated woodpecker at NABC
20190117_Woodpecker2.jpg

nightowl
Forum Assistant

Post by nightowl » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:51 pm

:bye 1:

Winsdong, when I was a kid my dad used to tell me I could catch a bird if I put salt on it's tail. Wanna know how many times I tried till I finally figured it out? :grlol;

Somewhere I have a picture of a squirrel inside my squirrel proof bird feeder. It was like the one you described Scott...a tube surrounded by a cage. I thought the poor thing was stuck and was ready to take squirrel and feeder to the vet for removal. *ahem* he got out on his own when he got full. :roll:

There's a small wooded park near me with a pond that I might have to venture to in search of the elusive Pileated. Guess I better charge up the battery for my camera. OH...and wait for warmer, snowless weather.

Carolyn, I bet that was something to see...a Pileated hanging from your feeder! The little woodpecker I have here has hung on mine, but something THAT big? WOW! :shock:

Naoma, sometimes a small backyard can be the prettiest Lots of pretties can be packed in with something to see no matter where you look.

It's Friday! Enjoy the beginning of your weekend!
Member since May 9, 2006

mmud
Content Provider

Post by mmud » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:00 am

That must have been a little shocking to see the squirrel in your caged feeder Judy. :mihihi:
I'm glad to hear it wasn't stuck. One here likes to jump from the deck railing up to one of my feeders and I usually let it sit there until I notice birds are waiting their turn. It no longer runs from me on sight but knows to leave when I start opening the door.

mmud
Content Provider

Post by mmud » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:00 am

:coffee2: Good Morning :coffee2:

Friday ~ January 18, 2019

Return to “Garden Fence Chat”