Stalashen Bald Eagle Nest, Sechelt, Sunshine Coast BC 2018-2019 Season

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
marg
Content Provider

Re: Stalashen Bald Eagle Nest, Sechelt, Sunshine Coast BC 2018-2019 Season

Post by marg » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:37 am

I have seen one or both in the nest tree or in the nest lately.

Yesterday through the telescope. The one perched in the middle this seems to be a fairly new perching spot could be the new eagle.
Ma-Pa Stalashen  - 1 (1).jpg
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:27 am

Marg I would guess that the new branch you have seen perching on this season is where I found our new Pa yesterday. It makes for a difficult spot to get good pictures with branches in the way! Yesterday the best I could find was up Stalashen Rd beyond the nest corner. Fallen twigs were obvious below the nest, no Ma to be spotted.
2790.jpg
2792.jpg
I did not realize he had turned his head when I took this picture in relation to the nest.
2797.jpg

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:38 am

Thanks Sandra, this is where I saw it perched yesterday (through the telescope).
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:39 pm

Through the telescope.
Around 12:20pm today one of our eagles was in the nest. :)
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:56 pm

8:05am Through the telescope I saw Ma and Pa on separate branches. :)
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:15 pm

Through the telescope Saturday.
308pm I happened to look just as one flew into the nest the other eagle was perched on a branch.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:23 pm

Fall
Fund/Activity Drive
Update
First - big thanks to all those who have donated! We've raised $3777 so far this month, including 14 new nest adoptions and 2 new monthly donors, so we now have more than a dozen people donating towards our monthly expenses!

As some of us were discussing our needs, we realized that we may not have done as good a job as we might at letting those who enjoy the forum know what we need to make this an active, growing hub for information about eagles and other wildlife.

We definitely need your financial support. The response to this drive has been wonderful, and will help with the bills that pile up - and it would be wonderful if we could double our monthly donations. We need to pay every month for the server space where our website and this forum is located, for the internet service to connect some of the cams to the web, for the high-speed internet service to send the signals from the cams to YouTube so everyone can see them, and a few other similar expenses that I'm forgetting at the moment. We currently get about $250/month from our monthly donor program - and thank you so much to those of you who support us this way! And it would be great if another 20 or 30 people who enjoy posting on the forum or just reading about the eagles could join the program and make a monthly donation of $10 or $20 or whatever works. It's easy to do with CanadaHelps - just go to our Donations page (click here), click the Donate via CanadaHelps Now! link, click on Donate Monthly, enter an amount (they suggest $25, but that's just a suggestion - the amount you enter is the amount you'll give), leave a message if you'd like, and fill in your contact and payment information. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me ([email protected]) or gemini ([email protected]).

But financial support is not all we need. We're calling this a Fund/Activity Drive because we really need those of you who enjoy what we're doing here to get more involved. What we need most of all is more people to watch our cameras and post observations. If you look at the threads for our primary nests (Delta 2, Harrison Mills, Surrey Reserve and White Rock), you'll see that most of the posts on each thread are by the same 3 or 4 people. And they would love some help!

This is also a good time to add more zoomers. If you're interested, the first step is to pick one or two of our nests and start posting observations and learning a bit about the territory and the eagles by where the zoomers go to look for eagles. Once you're comfortable posting, let me or one of the zoomers at your chosen nest know you're interested in zooming, and we can go from there. :)

We don't expect people posting to know all about the eagles initially - I've been watching cams since 2006, and I'm having trouble telling the male and female apart at our new Surrey Reserve nest unless I can see the tiny mark on the male's tale or the tuft of feathers on the female's head - but I know as I watch them more, I'll learn more about how they move or where their favorite place to perch is - and it will be easier. It's perfectly fine to say "an adult came in at 9:03 am and moved some sticks" - and often one of the folks who have been watching longer can look back using the dvr feature on our cams and see which one it is - and we're all happy to share the clues we used to recognize the adult.

You don't need to watch constantly, or commit to watching at a certain time - just whenever you happen to be watching, post what you see. Or didn't see - a post like "I was watching the North cam from 10:30 to 11:00 and did not see any activity on the nest" is actually very helpful as we learn when the eagles are most likely to visit at this time of year.

If you have questions about posting observations, please feel free to contact me or any of the Topic Assistants who post on the thread you're interested in.

You can click here to go to our donations page - and remember that the amounts listed under various projects like Eagle Cam Repairs and Monthly Support are suggestions - you pick the amount you give. Thank you.

If you have questions, please contact me ([email protected]) or gemini ([email protected]).

Thank you again to all who have donated or are donating time or money - we could not do this without your donations and without your observations, screenshots, videos, and hours spent zooming.

Mom White Rock wants to know why you're not watching her!
Screenshot courtesy of DDuckies2
(You can click to donate)

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:10 am

Through the telescope:

8a.m.
I have never seen an eagle perched here in all the time we have been checking the nest! The quality of the pic. is not good due to the weather today.
Stalashen Nov 28 2018 - 1.jpg
Hi Judy: I do watch those nests and post whenever I can.
I also donate. Thank you for your post.
:bye 1:
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:41 pm

I was at Port Stalashen this afternoon and saw the stalashen eagles in their perch tree by the marina so took a quick picture of them.

Karen H

014-1.jpg

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:35 am

Looked at 9:25am and one eagle is perched on a branch in the nest tree.

Through the telescope yesterday at 11:53am:

A hawk in a tree to the left of the nest where we have one eagle perched at the top of the tree and one perched on a branch.
IMG_1832.jpg
Thanks Karen for your picture.
I will use it as a reference to pics of the Stalashen eagles in the nest tree. We have a few nests in the area.....
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:34 pm

Through the telescope this morning I saw one eagle perched on a branch in the nest tree.
Dec. 2nd 10:03am approx saw the two eagles perched on different branches in the nest tree.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:26 pm

I have looked the last few days and have seen eagle/s in the nest tree sometimes one in the nest and sometimes I'm lucky and I've seen one fly in. :)
This morning through he telescope one eagle seen on a branch. :bye 1:
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:15 pm

December 18 through the telescope. One eagle on the favourite branch on the left.

We check daily and have usually seen the eagles there. We have had several storms pass through.
:bye 1:
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:20 pm

I had to take this picture the nest was "sparkling"!
Stalashen Nest sparkling in the sunshine! - 1.jpg
Yesterday, at 3:05pm I witnessed Ma/Pa both flying in to the nest tree at the same time but they perched on separate branches.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:37 pm

Marg that's a great capture of the 'sparkling nest'. So happy to know that you are seeing your Stalashen eagles around their nest tree quite often now :thumlft: Happy New Year to you and Earl :huggie:
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”