Oak Bay Eagles, Oak Bay BC - 2017/2018 Season

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
elle
Content Provider

Re: Oak Bay Eagles, Oak Bay BC - 2017/2018 Season

Post by elle » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:50 pm

As previously observed by sassyk and her friend Marie from WiTS, it looks like the Golf Course pair have chosen the lowest of the 3 nests in their nest tree. I saw a bit of a tail protruding at the west of the nest and the up and down motion suggested nestorating activity or perhaps even egg rolling.
There were 2 Bald eagles on Trial Island. Both on the ground.
There was no sign of eagles at Gonzales Hill nest.
Neither the Fire Hall nest nor the alternate York Place nest appeared to be occupied.
They have all fooled us before. :)
Be the change that you want to see in the world. – Mohandas K. Gandhi

Vancouver Island Contact and
Member since August 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:13 pm

Marie did a tour of the nests today. She saw both adults standing in the golf course penthouse nest on March 5th and today she saw one in the lower nest looking like it was incubating.

She also saw an adult in the York Place nest looking like it was incubating. She spoke to Esther who said the eagles have not been around the fire hall nest.

Marie saw 2 adults chasing the gulls out on Trial Island and has not seen any eagles anywhere near either of the Anderson Hill nests or in their perch trees along the path.

While standing on Sylvan Lane watching that new nest and chatting with members of the neighbours family who were visiting, one adult flew out of the nest and the other adult was perched above the nest. It dropped down into the nest when the other one flew out.

Marie saw 1 of the adults in the Lansdowne Road nest, squawking at an intruder in the area.

So, lots of eagles looking like they are incubating :thumlft: Let's hope we have a few eaglets to watch this season :luck:
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:22 pm

That all sounds pretty good.
We went by the Uplands nest yesterday and saw nothing. It is all in the timing.
I do wish the FireHalls would use the FireHall nest but the move back to York Place is no surprise since one of their eaglets went overboard last year. If anyone knows it will be Esther.:) The potentially imminent construction at York Place and environs is a concern .
I am quite sure the Gonzales -Sylvan Lane nest is active and I am still of the mind it is the Anderson Hill pair that have occupied that nest. They built the nest in 2016 and they had one eaglet there in 2017. They have not been in the Anderson Hill nests since then.
The Golf Course pair on on schedule and using the lowest nest.

Member since August 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:07 pm

It's definitely all in the timing :roll: I spent the afternoon in Oak Bay; I saw quite a few adult eagles but most were flying around :( One of the adults was in the York Pl. nest and the other one was somewhere nearby. They were calling frantically to each other. Later while sitting in my car at the marina I saw one perched at the top of the tree across from the nest tree on York Pl. I took a photo but by the time I got back to the nest area the eagle was gone. I still didn't see the one in the nest.

I walked up and down in front of the entrance to the golf course but didn't see any movement in the nest. However, I haven't looked at my photos yet. Later while walking around the parking lot at the marina I saw 2 adult eagles flying around behind the hotel being chased by gulls but they were too far away to get any photos.

I spotted an eagle perched down by the water at the edge of the golf course on my way to Anderson Hill but by the time I got parked it had flown off over the ocean.

One adult was perched on the marker on Trial Island while I was up on Anderson Hill and I saw 2 adult eagles soaring around by the building next to the golf course. They were too far away to get decent photos.

I stopped at Cattle Point on my way to the Lansdowne Rd. nest and an adult eagle was soaring over Uplands Park. There was no activity around the nest site.

My last stop was Gonzales Hill. I walked down Sylvan Lane and took a few photos of the nest from both sides but didn't see any movement. As I was walking back to the parking lot I heard the eagles squawking back and forth and saw one of them flying around the nest area. It disappeared behind the trees and I saw 2 young fellas walking towards me with their dog. They said the eagle flew onto the nest. When I walked back to the nest area, the ladies who were out gardening in the yard next door chatted with me for quite awhile. They are the daughters of the owners of that property. They said the female flew into the nest, followed by the male. They both flew out and were doing their aerial maneuvers. The ladies said they have witnessed it several times. The nest has been there in that same tree since 2000. They said the eagles built it in 2000 but didn't use it until 2001. There have been many eaglets hatched and fledged from that nest and there were at least 2 maybe 3 last year. One of the ladies said she was sure she heard a 3rd one while she was watching the 2 she could see over the nest.

I will post some photos later, perhaps not until tomorrow.
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:34 pm

Looks like construction might begin soon at the end of York Place where a new house will be built on the newly subdivided lot. The nest tree resides on the new lot.
I could not see an adult in the nest but there was one across the way and when I went to Prospect Place there was one soaring overhead.
I will be back with pictures.
What a glorious day! Spring is definitely here.

Member since August 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:48 pm

Photos of the Fire Hall eagles taken during my visit yesterday afternoon.

The nest from the end of York Place.
IMG_1014 - Copy.JPG

The driveway into the newly subdivided property, where the old garage used to be.
IMG_1012 - Copy.JPG

The nest taken from the gate a few houses up the road. A few white tail feathers are visible.
IMG_1019 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:52 pm

The nest tree from the gate a few houses up the road.
IMG_1020 - Copy.JPG

The construction going on at the private school a block away. The eagles
perch in the trees behind the school looking out over the marina.
IMG_1030 - Copy.JPG

The nest tree taken from the marina. If you look closely you will see Mom's beak.
IMG_1049 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:11 pm

Photos of the 'destruction' on the building lots near the nest tree. The first 2 were taken from York Pl.
IMG_1021 - Copy.JPG

The black and white kitty came out to greet me.
IMG_1022 - Copy.JPG

There used to be a house here on Prospect Pl.
IMG_1038 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:17 pm

One of the eagles was in the lower nest at the Golf Course yesterday.

It got up once to roll the eggs but it was mostly behind the big branch.
IMG_1062 - Copy.JPG

Top of head and beak visible through the nest sticks.
IMG_1064 - Copy.JPG

Head and beak visible above the nest.
IMG_1071 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:24 pm

An eagle on the marker at Trial Island. I don't know if this is one of the Anderson Hill eagles.
IMG_1105 - Copy.JPG

The eagle flying over Cattle Point. Could be from the Beach Dr./Lansdowne nest.
IMG_1090 - Copy.JPG

The Beach Dr./Lansdowne nest. No eagles seen around the nest area.
IMG_1096 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:32 pm

The nest on Sylvan Lane from both sides.
IMG_1112 - Copy.JPG
IMG_1119 - Copy.JPG

One of the eagles just before it flew into the nest.
IMG_1116 - Copy.JPG

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:49 pm

York Place Bald Eagle March 16-2018.jpg
Guarding the nest
FireHall-York Place Bald Eagles March 16-2018.jpg
Guarding the nest

Member since August 2006

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:13 pm

Subdivided lot at York Place March 16-2018.jpg
York Place cul de sac subdivision March 16-2018.jpg
We spoke with the gardener for the property adjacent to the new lot. He was very in tune with the Bald Eagles. He had a pair of binoculars in his truck and told us how much he loved watching them. We discussed the new construction and how it might affect the nesting season. I gave him my card and I hope he will let me know if he witnesses any infraction.

Member since August 2006

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:41 pm

More crying shame destruction on York Place. Back with photos. :(

Member since August 2006

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:40 pm

The Giant Sequoias on York Place have been felled. The diameter of the trunks were 5 to 7 feet at least. Contrary to popular belief, the trees were not planted too close to the house. The trees were there a lot longer than the house. So the house was built too close to the trees. But of course, the trees pay the price of human stupidity. It made me weep to see the stumps. And it is spring so how many critters may have been nesting in those trees. :(
Giant Sequioa stump York Place March 23-2018.jpg
Giant Sequoias York Place Mar 23-2018.jpg
Sequoia trunks York Pl March 23-2018.jpg

Member since August 2006

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”