Redding, CA - 2019 + 2020 - Bald Eagle Cam

To store all archived 'Other North American Eagle Cams' topics

Moderator: N Amer Eagle Cam TA's

JudyB
Admin

Redding, CA - 2019 + 2020 - Bald Eagle Cam

Post by JudyB » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:58 am

Home of the Friends of the Redding Eagles

Update - Because there were no chicks in 2019, I'm going to continue this thread rather than setting up a new one for the 2019-2020 nesting season; posts for the new season start here. ~JudyB

currently off-line - Redding Eagles POV cam - https://hdontap.com/index.php/video/str ... gle-nest-2
(Because there was no indication that the eagles would use the nest at Turtle Bay, it hasn't been set up to stream; it is still in the tree, and I don't know if it could be turned on remotely)

currently off-line - Redding Eagles IR cam - https://hdontap.com/index.php/video/str ... gle-nest-1
(The IR cam was damaged as a result of the flooding that submerged the island over the winter of 2016-2017 and has been offline since then; if the eagles return to Turtle Bay, it might be possible to revive it.)

The current adults are named Liberty (F) and Guardian (M); Liberty's former mate since spring 2014 was Spirit, who was last seen January 26, 2019.

2019-2020 Season:
Hope is Guardian's 1st fledgling and Liberty's 22nd. :love:

2018-2019 Season:
  • adults return: both seen October 7, 2018 (Liberty had been seen a few days earlier)
  • nest chosen: by November 7, the old hawk's nest at Riverview
  • sad news: Spirit was last seen January 26, with Liberty on the Christmas Tree
  • new mate: As of February 11, Liberty was being seen consistently with a sub adult
  • more sad news: the new nest came down in a record-breaking snowstorm on February 12; Liberty and her new mate are fine
  • eggs laid: sadly the new pair did not lay eggs
  • new male named: Guardian, March 26
  • hatched:
  • named:
  • branched:
  • fledged:

River and Sky, May 12, 2018, courtesy of eaglewoman

Link to last season's thread for these eagles - viewtopic.php?f=44&t=86

JudyB
Admin

Re: Redding, CA - 2018-2019 - Bald Eagle Cam

There is an in-depth history of these eagles starting here - viewtopic.php?f=44&t=86&p=636#p637; this is intended as a brief summary of the early years with a bit more info of the more recent years.

The initial pair here were named Liberty and Patriot, and we began watching them in 2008. They fledged 12 eaglets in the years from 2008 through 2012, moving to a new nest for the 2012 season. 2013 was a year of change and sorrow - a new male challenged Patriot, driving him from the nest and killing their two chicks shortly after they hatched; Patriot did return later in the spring and fought the intruder again - and died from an internal hemorrhage during the fight.
PatriotAndSolo_FORE.jpg
In Memory of Patriot and eaglet Solo (2017),
courtesy of the Friends of the Redding Eagles
Liberty chose a new mate in the fall of 2015, and he was named Spirit in a contest run by the local newspaper. They had three eggs in 2016, but none hatched - not unusual for a new couple, especially when one of them is perhaps young. 2017 was better - Liberty again laid three eggs, and all hatched and fledged! I'm thinking it was a bit of a steep learning curve for new Dad Spirit - but he came through with flying colors, learning to brood eggs that wiggled and pecked at him, and bringing a whole lot of food to his growing chicks! Here's a screenshot by karenbills of Spirit feeding his chicks for the first time:
In 2016 the pair moved to a new nest at a private golf course a few miles away, so we could not watch them online, but eaglewoman was permitted access once a week to take pictures and provide updates, so we know they successfully raised two eaglets.

2017 was another challenging year - the eagles returned to their golf course nest and likely laid at least one egg - and then the nest blew down in a windstorm. They moved back to the Turtle Bay nest with cameras, but the cameras were down part of the time because major flooding submerged the electrical equipment at the base of the tree. They ended up with a second clutch a month later than usual, laying two eggs, one of which hatched. Sadly that chick, named Solo, died shortly before fledging, a victim of the record high temperatures in spite of Liberty's attempt to shade him. It was a sad reminder of how interrelated the time of nesting is with the seasons at many nests.

2018 was better, though again not without excitement. The eagles went back to the golf course to nest, and produced two chicks, named River and Sky. And that nest came down when the branch holding it broke when the eaglets were about 8-9 weeks old - and happily they were fine! The folks at the golf course put up a temporary nesting platform, and River and Sky successfully fledged from the temporary nest a few weeks later.

JudyB
Admin

reserved

JudyB
Admin

reserved

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:12 am

Eaglewoman's post announcing the return of the eagles - viewtopic.php?p=107564#p107564
Eaglewoman wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:29 pm
Greetings Everyone!!!

It looks like BOTH of our Redding Eagles have been spotted in the Redding area!!! We are so grateful for their safe return, especially after the summer we had in Redding :(

Liberty was spotted flying over the Sacramento River a few times this past week & Ospreyman Jim was quick enough to get a photo of her flying by...

But, it wasn't until yesterday Sunday 10/7/18 that I received a report that both Liberty & Spirit were perched in a tree across the river from the Riverview Golf Course!!!! :eag: :eag:

This morning, Roger at Riverview spotted one of our eagles in the old Red-tailed Hawk's nest in a pine tree right next to where their old nest had fallen to the ground last season! The other eagle was also perched in the Pine Tree near the hawk's old nest! They have attempted to make that nest work a few times in the past with no luck, so we'll see what they end up doing this Nesting Season!

Never a dull moment here with our Redding Eagles! :mihihi:

Eaglewoman
Content Provider

Post by Eaglewoman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:57 pm

:huggie: Hi JudyB & everyone!!!

Thank you Judy for getting our new thread started for the 2018-2019 Nesting Season!!! I kept meaning to write up a summary for you from last season, but with the summer we had here in Redding, I never got around to it!

Fortunately, both of Liberty & Spirit's nesting territories were safe from the devastating Carr Fire that burned over 1,000 homes here in Redding on July 26, 2018. We are all pulling together & we will RISE from the ashes!!! But, it has been a challenging summer to say the least :(

On a brighter note, I had a wonderful reunion with Miss Liberty today!!!!!!

Roger reported both eagles were at the Red-tailed Hawk's nest again this morning! One even brought a stick in to that nest. They have attempted to bring sticks in to this nest before, but have had a lot of difficulty due to the lack of space around the the nest due to branches. We will watch & see what they end up deciding to do this year!

I received another report at 9:30 am from a friend of mine who lost her home in the fire, but is in a lovely, conveniently located house along the river across from the Riverview Golf Course! Needless to say, I will be spending a lot of time at her house in the coming months! :mihihi:

She reported that one of them had flown south heading downriver from her place. So, I had a little time to run down to a trial that is south of her house & guess who I found?!?

Miss Liberty!!!!!!!

She was hard to spot because she was tucked behind some pine needles in a Gray Pine Tree below the Riverview Clubhouse!!! But, I found her & it was absolutely breathtaking!!! She looked so healthy & as beautiful as ever! I never saw Spirit but I'm sure he was in the area somewhere too!
Liberty below Clubhouse-2.jpg
Liberty below Clubhouse-6.jpg

Eaglewoman
Content Provider

Post by Eaglewoman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:01 pm

Liberty below Clubhouse-4.jpg

Liberty below Clubhouse-5.jpg

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:41 pm

Good morning Terri, so very happy your eagle family is back once again. Great news.
But one thing made my tears coming down this morning as i saw some posts above the Patriot and Solo's mémorial. I didn't know it was already done. I already knew the litttle one was Solo and then :cry1:
What a beautiful memorial. it makes my heart happier. Thanks to the guy who made both of them.
I'm very happy Patriot and Solo are not forgotten at all... :huggie:
Merci to the Friends of Redding !
:rh: E9: 7 yo / E14 :rh:
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. B.Shofstall
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Eaglewoman
Content Provider

Post by Eaglewoman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:53 am

Hi there Phil! So good to see you back here checking on our beloved Redding eagle family!

Yes, the Eagle Memorial is shaping up nicely! We have an amazing local artist who does the eagle sculptures for us!

We also have a plaque that we will be installing soon for our sweet Solo. I hope you like this...
solo's plaque.jpg

Eaglewoman
Content Provider

Post by Eaglewoman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:04 am

Guess who I found on Sunday?!?

I was down checking the spot where I had seen Liberty along the river below the Riverview Clubhouse with some friends of mine & we spotted Miss Liberty up there in a different spot!
lib on pine tree.jpg
lib on pine tree-3.jpg

Eaglewoman
Content Provider

Post by Eaglewoman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:09 am

As if that wasn't wonderful enough?!?

All of a sudden, Spirit flew in to join his mate!!!
lib sees spirit.jpg

Spirit arrives & lands by Liberty...
lib sees spirit-2.jpg

Eaglewoman
Content Provider

Post by Eaglewoman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:14 am

And, then there they both were! What a wonderful sight to see!!! You could probably see my smile from miles away!!! :D
lib & spirit-2.jpg

lib & spirit-3.jpg

Eaglewoman
Content Provider

Post by Eaglewoman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:26 am

There was no calling between the pair, a little early for that yet I guess!

But, there was some wing stretching by Liberty & Spirit appeared to be cooling off with his wings spread out most of the time he was up there! It was a warm day in Redding, in the mid 80"s Farenheit! :fonz:

Make sure you click on the photos to enlarge them so you can see the eagles better!
lib stretches other wing-2.jpg
lib wingstretch with spirit-2.jpg

Eaglewoman
Content Provider

Post by Eaglewoman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:36 am

A few more shots of our lovely Redding eagles who both look so healthy & strong after we experienced such a devastating summer in our beautiful City. We are so lucky to have Liberty & Spirit both back & ready to give us all hope for rebuilding and moving forward together...

We are #ReddingStrong!
spirit joins lib-2.jpg
spirit joins lib.jpg

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:26 pm

Eaglewoman wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:53 am
Hi there Phil! So good to see you back here checking on our beloved Redding eagle family! Yes, the Eagle Memorial is shaping up nicely! We have an amazing local artist who does the eagle sculptures for us!
We also have a plaque that we will be installing soon for our sweet Solo. I hope you like this… solo's plaque.jpg
Good morning Terri, thanks to show us this plaque, i love it so much and Solo deserves it so much eben if :cry1:
I checked the mémorial pic and notice for the fist time that Patrio had also his plaque, installed there too
Great you were able to capture these so beautiful pics from Liberty and Spirit, thanks for sharing :huggie:

2018-10-25 Ishared the mémorial pic and Splo's plaque to the Eagle Chatter Nest… If you don't want, Terri, just let me know. thanks.
viewtopic.php?p=112687#p112687
:rh: E9: 7 yo / E14 :rh:
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. B.Shofstall
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Return to “Archive - All Other North American Eagle Cams”