Ardmore-Coles Bay Bald Eagle Nests- North Saanich, BC -2018-2019 Season

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
elle
Content Provider

Ardmore-Coles Bay Bald Eagle Nests- North Saanich, BC -2018-2019 Season

Post by elle » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:54 pm

Welcome to the Ardmore- Coles Bay Bald Eagles nest thread for the 2018-2019 nesting season.

This thread is dedicated to observations, photos and videos of the eagles who have 2 nests located in the Ardmore area of North Saanich on Vancouver Island BC.

We have monitored these 2 nests for about 7 years and it seems it is the same pair alternating nests from time to time as is common at many of the nests.

Last season the eagles nested in the Coles Bay nest and raised 1 eaglet to fledging.

Previous year threads can be viewed HERE
Be the change that you want to see in the world. – Mohandas K. Gandhi

Vancouver Island Contact and
Member since August 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Ardmore-Coles Bay Bald Eagle Nests- North Saanich, BC -2018-2019 Season

Post by sassyk » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:56 am

I did a tour of the nests on the peninsula yesterday. There were no eagles in the area of the nest on Ardmore by the mailboxes. The only action was a young Cooper's Hawk.
IMG_8140 - Copy.JPG

There were no eagles around the nest at the end of Ardmore which is identified by WiTS as Yarrow Pt.
IMG_8143 - Copy.JPG

My birding partner spotted this nest in a tree near the corner property where Ardmore splits to the left and right. We have never noticed that nest in past visits :chin:
IMG_8145 - Copy.JPG
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:04 am

We walked down to the beach and heard an eagle calling. It wasn't easy to spot them as the sun was so low behind the trees at the end of Yarrow Pt. One eagle was at the top of the tallest tree and the other one was in the next tree over closer to the water. Sorry for the poor quality of the photos. I love seeing the sun but sometimes it's not great for photos.

This one looks like the female.
IMG_8148 - Copy.JPG

And the male.
IMG_8149 - Copy.JPG

A wide angle view with both eagles visible.
IMG_8151 - Copy.JPG
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:08 am

A short while after we had been at the beach, the female flew off across the inlet then flew back and landed in the same tree.
IMG_8152 - Copy.JPG

Almost as soon as the female landed the male flew off across the inlet and landed on the marker. He flew off circling the marker and the small fishing boat that was circling the marker then disappeared from view. He didn't come back while we were there.
IMG_8159 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:37 pm

I did a tour of the nests on the peninsula yesterday. The nest on Ardmore Rd. by the mail boxes is intact but I did not see any new sticks or any eagles.
IMG_9851 - Copy.JPG

There was a huge tree across from the nest property that blew down in the wind storm. It crashed through the fence and across the road :ohmy:
IMG_9850 - Copy.JPG

The nest at the dead end of Ardmore Rd. (Yarrow Pt.) is also intact but I did not see or hear any eagles.
Looking at my photo I can see 2 new sticks in the nest.
IMG_9853 - Copy.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:43 pm

While looking over the bay from Yarrow Pt. we spotted an eagle perched in a tree on the other side of the bay.
IMG_9855 - Copy.JPG

While wandering up the road we heard eagles calling back and forth and suspected they were probably at the golf course. We found them both perched side by side in the tall tree on the golf course at the corner of W. Saanich Rd. and Ardmore Dr. It was quite funny that the female kept squawking at the male while he was looking the other way; she stopped as soon as he looked her way. I wonder what she was telling him :rh: The quality of these photos is not good due to the very dull cloudy sky :(
IMG_9859 - Copy.JPG
IMG_9864 - Copy.JPG

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:21 pm

From JudyB:
ANNOUNCEMENT
Hi everyone! We've done some work on the forum over the last couple of days which unfortunately made it harder for some people to log in and stay logged in. We think we've found and fixed the problem, but it may require folks to delete their browser cookies in order to log in.

We're still working on this, but have instructions for deleting cookies for several popular browsers here - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13&p=148341#p148341 - and you can probably find the method for other browsers on the internet - and we hope to add more tomorrow.

If you have any additional suggestions or would be willing to write instructions for one of the other browsers, please let me know!

We are sorry for the inconvenience, but the work we've done will keep the forum more stable and hopefully more accessible.

If you can log in and post, if you have any questions or can help with additional instructions, please post on the Report Cams Down and Forum Errors thread in the Technical Help area.

If you cannot log in and post, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:28 pm

I visited the 2 nests in the Ardmore-Coles Bay area. I stopped at the one near the mailboxes on Ardmore Dr. (referred to here on this thread as the Coles Bay nest). When I got out of my car I heard an eagle calling from further down Ardmore Dr. and another one answered from the area of the nest. I walked up and down the road by the nest area but did not see or hear any eagles. However, one could have been in the nest incubating :luck:
Ardmore Dr. Nest 29 Mar. 2019.JPG

I went further down Ardmore Dr. to see the other nest (referred to here on this thread as the Ardmore nest) but did not see or hear any eagles in the area.
Yarrow Pt. Nest 29 Mar. 2019.JPG

I walked down to the beach and had a good look at all the trees near the nest tree but didn't see any eagles. As I was heading back to the path I heard an eagle calling, looked up and there was one perched in the tree right at the end of the path :woohoo: I heard another eagle answering the call further down the beach but in the opposite direction from the nest site.
Yarrow Pt. Eagle overlooking the bay 29 Mar. 2019.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed May 01, 2019 3:55 pm

I did a tour of the nests on the peninsula yesterday; there were no eagles seen or heard in the vicinity of the Yarrow Pt. nest at the dead end of Ardmore Dr.

One of the eagles, it looked like the male, was perched above the nest on Ardmore Dr. (Coles Bay). There was at least 1 eaglet in the nest; but we couldn't confirm 2.
Ardmore Dr. Nest(1) 30 Apr. 2019.JPG
Ardmore Dr. Nest(2) 30 Apr. 2019.JPG

Chick at the right side of nest; possibly one to left of big branch on left side.
Ardmore Dr. Nest(3) 30 Apr. 2019.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed May 01, 2019 4:04 pm

This photo, and the ones in the previous post, were all taken from the driveway across
from the nest. Eaglet panting on the right side of the nest.
Ardmore Dr. Nest(4) 30 Apr. 2019.JPG

This photo was taken through the trees further down Ardmore Dr. near the mailboxes.
Ardmore Dr. Nest(5) 30 Apr. 2019.JPG

This eagle (looked like the female) flew in from further down the beach while we were
standing on the beach by the path. We were guessing it was from the Ardmore Dr. nest
and not the nest at the dead end of Ardmore Dr. that is documented as Yarrow Pt. nest.
Ardmore Dr. Eagle 30 Apr. 2019.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:46 am

On June 5th my birding partner saw one eaglet in the nest.

I visited both nests in the Ardmore/Coles Bay area yesterday. The Coles Bay nest has at least 1 healthy looking eaglet. It was standing in the nest when we arrived and a few minutes later the male flew into the nest with prey. He hopped up onto the branch beside the nest holding his wings out. We assumed he had grabbed a duck from the bay. He sat there for quite a long time before we heard the female calling from a tree down the road.
Ardmore (Coles Bay) Eaglet.JPG
Ardmore (Coles Bay) Male & Eaglet(1).JPG
Ardmore (Coles Bay) Male & Eaglet(2).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:48 am

There is a hole in the nest (bottom right); you can see right through to the other side.
Ardmore (Coles Bay) Male & Eaglet(3).JPG
Ardmore (Coles Bay) Male.JPG

Female down the road, overlooking the bay.
Ardmore (Coles Bay) Female.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:03 pm

There was no sign of an eaglet in the nest at the dead end of Ardmore Dr. (Yarrow Pt.) yesterday but we did see the female perched in a nearby tree, calling and calling.
Ardmore (Yarrow Pt.) Nest.JPG
Ardmore (Yarrow Pt.) Female(1).JPG
Ardmore (Yarrow Pt.) Female (2).JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:29 pm

On June 24th my birding partner saw one adult sitting at the top of the nest tree calling. One eaglet in the nest was moving around and calling.

The lone eaglet in the nest on Ardmore Dr. was sitting low in the nest this afternoon, calling and calling. There were no adults in the area.
Ardmore Dr. Eaglet.JPG
There has been no activity at the other nest at the dead end of Ardmore Dr.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:42 pm

A new thread for the Ardmore Dr. and Coles Bay eagles for the 2019/2020 season has been opened here. This thread is now locked.

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”