General Announcements Posted to the Forum

To store general announcements posted to various threads on the forum. e.g. Cam cleaning dates, special events, messages from David Hancock, etc.
gemini
Admin

General Announcements Posted to the Forum

Post by gemini » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:08 am

Important Announcement!

David H. and the "Cam Cleaning Squad" will be attempting to clean the Delta2 cam today at 12:30 pm - weather permitting!

If the rain is too heavy and the tree is slippery, the cleaning will be postponed to a later date - hopefully in the next week or so! The date will be posted as soon as it is known.

gemini
Admin

Re: General Announcements Posted to the Forum

Post by gemini » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:24 am

The latest from David:

HI All Delta 2 Keeners; -- Just reviewed with Myles as a shower just started here after a few hours of 'dry'.

Myles is prepared to climb if the tree gets about an hour of drying out of the canopy.

The challenge is the ropes get very slippery.

We will probably go to the site as every area is different. ANd as we know Delta and WR get half the rain of downtown VR.

I will call Sharon and Jean from the site and ask then to forward to others our last minute decisions !

All we can do is 'give it a try"

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:02 pm

Cam Cleaning at Delta2 Postponed Because of Rain!

Due to the wet and unsafe conditions at the nest tree, David and Myles have decided to postpone the cam cleaning until Monday, Sept 17, 10:00 am. The weather is supposed to be better then and hopefully the conditions at the nest will improve.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:07 pm

Cam Cleaning at Delta2 Postponed Because of Rain!

Due to the wet and unsafe conditions at the nest tree, David and Myles have decided to postpone the cam cleaning until Monday, Sept 17, 10:00 am when they will try again. The weather is supposed to be better then and hopefully the conditions at the nest will improve enough to try again.

Thanks for trying, David and Myles!

amyklai
Topic Assistant

Post by amyklai » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:28 am

7.28a Any news on the White Rock camera cleaning date(s), eagles are going to come back soon ,

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:01 am

Screenshots to use in Fall Matching Drive post (if I attach the images here, I can use IMG tags in the post, making it easier to post on multiple threads).
HM2018Fall_IrishEyes2.jpg
HM2018Fall_IrishEyes2.jpg (73.99 KiB) Viewed 2998 times
Dad and Lady, courtesy of IrishEyes

a_wr_2-490_x_340.jpg
a_wr_2-490_x_340.jpg (157 KiB) Viewed 2779 times
created by gemini

HM2018Fall_Yolande.jpg
HM2018Fall_Yolande.jpg (42.13 KiB) Viewed 1338 times
Chehalis Flats from the Harrison Mills cams,
courtesy of Yolande

WR2018Fall_DDuckies2.jpg
WR2018Fall_DDuckies2.jpg (31.52 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
Mom White Rock wants to know why you're not watching her!
Screenshot courtesy of DDuckies2

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:49 pm

Announcement

Hi everyone! I wanted to let you know that our tech person is planning to update the software for the forum this weekend. We've done a test run on a little forum, and that went well - so we're hoping this will too. But it may mean that the forum will be offline for a few hours while the actual update happens.

If we have any news while the update is going on, we'll be posting it here - http://www.wildlifecamwatch.com/viewtop ... 1544#p1544; you don't need to register there to read the updates.

And with luck, it will be seamless enough that very few people will even notice. :)

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:45 am

Announcement

Hi everyone!

Well, our tech person tried to update the forum software last night, and it didn't go as planned. Fortunately he had a backup from yesterday morning, and was able to restore that, so we only lost the posts from yesterday. But we did lose a day's work - and we are sorry for that.

He has been doing more research, and thinks he understands what went wrong, and we really do need to do the update, so he may be trying again tonight or tomorrow night. As before, we expect the forum to be offline for perhaps an hour or two while the update loads - and we both have our fingers crossed that things will go smoothly and everything will be back to normal.

If we have any news while the update is going on, we'll be posting it on our backup WildlifeCamWatch forum here - http://www.wildlifecamwatch.com/viewtop ... 1544#p1544; you don't need to register there to read the updates.

Thanks for your patience and understanding. :ty:

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:14 pm

Tuesday, January 22, 3:15 pm

Ken will be doing some work on the Wowza server this evening, starting around 8 pm, so all the embedded cams will go offline at that time. Hopefully it won't take too long - and will help with some of the issues we've been having with the embedded cams.

Zoomers should be able to connect directly to the cams while the embedded cams are down, and the forum and archives should not be affected (though as I mentioned earlier, David Hathaway may try to do the update on the forum software tonight - but that's a separate project).

If I get any updates about the Wowza server, I'll post on the Report Cams Down thread - viewtopic.php?f=66&t=33

And if the forum is down, I'll post any updates on the WildlifeCamWatch backup forum - http://www.wildlifecamwatch.com/viewtop ... &t=36#p655

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:20 pm

JudyB wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:14 pm
Tuesday, January 22, 3:15 pm

Ken will be doing some work on the Wowza server this evening, starting around 8 pm, so all the embedded cams will go offline at that time. Hopefully it won't take too long - and will help with some of the issues we've been having with the embedded cams.

Zoomers should be able to connect directly to the cams while the embedded cams are down, and the forum and archives should not be affected (though as I mentioned earlier, David Hathaway may try to do the update on the forum software tonight - but that's a separate project).

If I get any updates about the Wowza server, I'll post on the Report Cams Down thread - viewtopic.php?f=66&t=33

And if the forum is down, I'll post any updates on the WildlifeCamWatch backup forum - http://www.wildlifecamwatch.com/viewtop ... &t=36#p655
Thanks Judy for letting us know ...Good Luck ... Hope all goes smoothly !

HELPFUL HINTS...Be Respectful !....Bev...member since 08/04/09

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:26 pm

ANNOUNCEMENT
Hi everyone! We've done some work on the forum over the last couple of days which unfortunately made it harder for some people to log in and stay logged in. We think we've found and fixed the problem, but it may require folks to delete their browser cookies in order to log in.

We're still working on this, but have instructions for deleting cookies for several popular browsers here - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13&p=148341#p148341 - and you can probably find the method for other browsers on the internet - and we hope to add more tomorrow.

If you have any additional suggestions or would be willing to write instructions for one of the other browsers, please let me know!

We are sorry for the inconvenience, but the work we've done will keep the forum more stable and hopefully more accessible.

If you can log in and post, if you have any questions or can help with additional instructions, please post on the Report Cams Down and Forum Errors thread in the Technical Help area.

If you cannot log in and post, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:42 pm

ANNOUNCEMENT
from JudyB

Hi everyone! I know that there have been at least several key observers who have been periodically kicked out of the forum while posting - and that's not the way it should work. We have a plan that may help - but it may mean that others will need to log back in.

If you cannot log in, once you bring up the forum, you should see a link at the bottom to delete cookies:

If that doesn't work, please look at the latest posts on our primary tech thread - start here - viewtopic.php?f=66&t=33&p=150536&sid=10 ... 7d#p150536

And if all else fails, send me an email - [email protected]

I apologize for the extra steps - but we are all doing all we can. Thank you for your patience, and it should all be working the way it should very soon.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:45 pm

forgot to post my attachment
20190204_008.jpg
20190204_008.jpg (2.12 KiB) Viewed 1094 times

Iona

Post by Iona » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:24 pm

Hi Judy

I am having the same problem as Bev. Every time I try to post I have to login again. I click the delete cookies bottom, and I have also done the delete all the time on Chrome. it hasn't helped.

I hope this will post,

Iona

txelements

Post by txelements » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:01 am

:wave: All

Trying your latest tip, JudyB.
Thanks for all the help and effort by you guys.

:bye 1:

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:22 pm

Screenshots for March 2019 Matching Drive post (if I attach the images here, I can use IMG tags in the post, making it easier to post on multiple threads).
20190304_020.jpg
20190305_007_SueB-a.jpg
d_helpus.jpg
d_helpus.jpg (63.75 KiB) Viewed 1012 times

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:24 pm

continued
20190307_024.jpg
b_chicks2.jpg
b_chicks2.jpg (64.31 KiB) Viewed 1001 times
20190316_Sandy_W.jpg
20190319_001.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:36 pm

being posted on our four primary HWF observation threads on March 5, around 12:30 pm
New Beginnings
It's not spring yet for those of us in Canada and the northern part of the US - but I can feel it coming on the gentle breeze that slips in occasionally between the Arctic gusts. And I can see it when I see the nests, all ready for the eggs that will appear any day now. This is our new Surrey Reserve nest:
As our northern nesting season gets underway, I'm reminded that it was about a year ago that Hancock Wildlife Foundation made some major changes, including launching this new forum and our new website https://hancockwildlife.org/. We also took over the streaming of the video from our cams to the web, which in practical terms means that we needed some fairly sophisticated software to convert the signal sent by our cams in British Columbia to the audio and video formats required by YouTube so anyone anywhere in the world can watch "our" eagles. It used to be that one could buy this software - but like a number of programs such as Microsoft Office 365 or most Adobe software, it's now only available as a subscription service.

The annual payment for what I call the Wowza server is about $2650 Cdn -
and it's due this month.

Please help us raise the money we need for the equipment to keep the cams streaming.

The easiest way to donate is to
  • go to the "Donations" page on our website (https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/)
  • click the "Donate via CanadaHelps Now!" link
  • choose "Donate Now" or "Donate Monthly"
  • enter the amount of your donation ($250 to adopt a nest - or whatever you'd like to give)
  • pick one of the options on the Fund list (the amounts for Eagle Cams/Repairs and for General Monthly Support are suggestions; the amount you put in the Amount box is what you'll donate)
  • if you are adopting a nest, use the message box to say which nest you are adopting and how you would like your name to be listed - or you can use it for other messages to HWF
  • fill in your contact information and credit card details, and
  • click "Complete Donation Now"
It would be great if we could raise enough money for the software this week - and to get things started, the first $650 in donations will be matched! So if you adopt a nest for $250, HWF will get $500 - or if you donate $20, HWF will get $40! We'd also love to have more people in our monthly donor program - and the first month's donation is also eligible to be matched.

Hancock Wildlife Foundation is a "Not-for-Profit" society in Canada and a tax slip will be automatically provided if you donate via CanadaHelps. For donors in the United States, we have a favorable rate of exchange right now, so if you donate $100 Cdn, your credit card will be billed about $75 US dollars.

The eagles are getting ready:
Delta 2 eagles discuss where to place a stick,
courtesy of SueB
Please help us be ready too.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:36 pm

Thank You!
We are off to a great start on the fund drive to pay the annual fee for the software that lets us stream the cams - we have raised $1900 of the $2650 we need!

And it's just in the nick of time - we have our first egg of the season! This is female Res from our Surrey Reserve cam showing off her newly laid egg while male Sur (who might be a first-time dad) tries to figure out what is happening!

We still need another $750, so if you can help, that would be wonderful. There's more information about how to donate and why we need this money here - viewtopic.php?f=109&t=293&p=165098#p165098 The button below will take you to our donations page, where you can click the button to donate via CanadaHelps.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:02 am

A new chick has arrived at Duke Farms overnight! Came across it by accident last night.
https://forum.hancockwildlife.org/view ... 39#p175739

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:12 am

posted on Harrison Mills, White Rock, SW Florida, EA chat and the SW FL chat, all personalized a bit after the Hi everyone; please feel free to post anywhere else. Thanks! And now I'm mostly out for the weekend!

Hi everyone!
Announcement
We are on hatch watch at two of our HWF cam nests, Surrey Reserve and Delta 2 - and we would love to have more people watching and posting observations there!

Surrey Reserve
Today is Day 36 for the first egg - this is our first year watching this nest, so we don't know when their first egg usually hatches, but eagle eggs usually hatch between 35 and 40 days, so we could see a pip (the initial hole in the shell) at any point.

Link to the cams - https://hancockwildlife.org/surrey-reserve-cams/

Link to our observation thread - viewtopic.php?f=114&t=333&start=2100

The female is named Res and the male is named Sur - for Surrey and Reserve; there are pictures to help you know who is who in the opening posts of the thread - but at this point we're most interested in pictures of the eggs, especially once a pip is confirmed.

Here is gemini's screenshot of Mom Res turning the eggs from yesterday:

Delta 2
Today is Day 35 for the first egg; the Delta 2 pair often delays incubation of the first egg so both hatch within a day or so - so don't be surprised if the first egg doesn't hatch until Monday or Tuesday or even Wednesday.

Link to the cams - https://hancockwildlife.org/delta-2-cams/

Link to our observation thread - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=335

The parents are called Ma Delta and Trooper, and there are ID pictures in the opening posts. This is Trooper's first year at the nest - he's been great tending the eggs, and we're waiting to see his reaction when the eggs start peeping and demanding food!

Here is SueB's screenshot from yesterday of Ma with the eggs:

Please join us at one of these nests and help us document the action!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:48 pm

Announcement
Observers Wanted
Several of our regular observers at Surrey Reserve are not going to be able to be online much from now through Monday, and we could really use some help posting.

The eaglets Dee and Ess are almost 8 weeks old and are learning to grab food from each other and mantle - and of course flap their growing wings - they really are wonderful to watch!

Dee is older by a day and a half and has a solid black tail; Ess's tail has white at the tips, which is about the only way I can tell them apart, so I hope Ess doesn't grow out of that. If anyone notices other differences that will help us know who is who, please share them on the thread!

Link to the cameras is here - https://hancockwildlife.org/surrey-reserve-cams/

Link to the forum is here - viewtopic.php?f=114&t=333&start=3210#p207561

Please Watch Us
Thanks!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:58 pm

work in progress - suggestions welcome ~JudyB
All About Donating
We encourage people to donate using CanadaHelps for a couple of reasons.

Hancock Wildlife Foundation is a registered non-profit organization in Canada, and CanadaHelps automatically provides a tax slip to donors. Their donation interface provides a space to send a message to HWF, and we like to know which of our nests you are watching.

You don't need to be in Canada to use CanadaHelps - and the rate of exchange right now is favorable to those of us in the United States - a donation of $250 Canadian dollars is currently about $200 US dollars, so if you give $250 through CanadaHelps (or PayPal), HWF gets $250 Canadian dollars, and the cost to you is based on the current rate of exchange.

You can also use the other methods on the Donations page, but it's not as easy to provide all the information, so if you're sending a check or planning to give a donation directly to someone at HWF, please let me ([email protected]) or gemini ([email protected]) know a donation is coming so it gets recorded.
Adopting a Nest
Nest adoptions are for a nesting season, from September when the eagles return to August when they leave again for their time away from the nest (which conveniently coincides with the salmon runs starting in Alaska and northern BC). We generally begin accepting early adoptions for the nest season in July.

The easiest way to adopt a nest is to
  • go to the "Donations" page on our website (https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/)
  • click the "Donate via CanadaHelps Now!" link
  • enter the amount of your donation ($250 to adopt the nest of your choice for the coming year)
  • pick "Adopt a Nest" from the drop-down Fund list (the default is a day with David Hancock)
  • use the message box to say which nest you are adopting and how you would like your name to be listed
  • fill in your contact information and credit card details, and
  • click "Complete Donation Now"
Donating for Cam Maintenance
Use the same steps as above, but pick "Eagle Cams/General Repairs" from the Fund dropdown list. There is a suggested amount in the list - but that's just a suggestion. The amount you enter in the Amount box is the amount you'll donate. It's not required, but we do encourage you to use the message box to tell us which nest or nests you watch. We do have limited resources, and all else being equal, the nests with the most interest will get the most attention.

Monthly Donations
Monthly donations are great for knowing we'll have the money to pay the monthly internet expenses for our non-sponsored cams, and the monthly costs of hosting for the website and forum. You can make a monthly donation by changing the highlighted box at the top of the page from "Donate Now" to "Donate Monthly." Many of the funds have a suggested amount - but that is just a suggestion. The amount you put in the Amount box is what you'll donate.

And if you have any questions about any of this, please do contact me or gemini and we'll be happy to help.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:36 pm

Announcement
~
We have discovered a bug in the process for registering for the forum - it appears that even if you fill in everything properly, you may get an error message.

We've made some changes, and so far two tests and one real person registering have gone through successfully.

So - if you previously tried to register and it didn't work, please try again - we'd love to see you here.

If you're still having trouble registering, please email [email protected], which will reach me and several other admins.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we have everything working properly now.

There is information about how to register here - viewtopic.php?p=139#p139 - and there's also a link to register (or to log in if you're already registered) at the upper right of each forum page.

Thanks,
JudyB

Return to “HWF Forum Announcements”