Tracking TERF31/Harbour Sun

Live Tracking: General Comments; BETA04/Loki; Tracking TERF01; Tracking TERF05;

Moderator: Tracked Eagles TA's

NSEN

Re: Tracking TERF31/Harbour Sun

Post by NSEN » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:36 am

February's notes:
Feb 10 eagle pair seen in and around their nest as well as in perch trees around their old nest. (Tracker confirms both sightings).

Feb 18 11am one adult perched on or near nest tree, the mate perched further away. Then both disappeared but saw one either catch, or drag, what looks to be a seal carcass onto rocky shoreline and proceed to eat it. Maybe it is a spiny dog fish? Whatever it was it was longer than the eagle! The photos are very grainy as they were taken from a long ways away but they do show the tracker so it was Harbour Sun that did the catch. Tracker had Harbour Sun at the nest tree at 10am. From the tracker it looks like she has been to the nest several times in last few days. SMcD//
054C90A0-10EA-4178-ABB1-43EA8FC78C65_1_105_c.jpeg
Feb 20 4pm tracker shows Habour Sun in a usual spot that is either the nest or a perch just above it. SMcD//

Feb 27 6:45am the tracker caught her at the end of the dock below her nest! SMcD//
Attachments
2AEC029A-C898-4AE4-9952-220AFD8A05E7_1_105_c.jpeg

NSEN

Post by NSEN » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:59 am

A few sightings from monitor who lives on property with the nest tree.

Feb 22nd the male on the dock having a little snack. PG//

Feb 23 adult in nest tree on outer edge of branch that holds the nest. PG//(follow branch back to trunk to find nest).
IMG_2628.jpg
Feb 27 This past month there has been an uptick in eagle activity around the house. I see two eagles soaring around the harbour most days and a few incoming flights in the direction of the nest.
I hear a lot of calls around midnight and also around sunrise. The midnight noises sounds like two eagles giggling!
Today either HSun, or mate, flew past the front window with a long stick towards the nest. We have had a lot of strong winds recently bringing down many branches. I checked on nest after last wind storm but not yet after this past storm. PG//
Attachments
IMG_2611.jpg

NSEN

Post by NSEN » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:46 am

March 24th update:
"General up tick of activity of pair in and around the nest in early March.
March 11 they were fighting over where to place the latest, very large, stick.
March 14 lots of sitting practice this morning.
March 17 eagle drama today as an immature eagle somehow got into the nest and was spectacularly chased off by the pair with 'top gun' flying style and alarming sounds coming from Harbour Sun. Because of the ruckus a fresh salmon head fell out of the nest, along with some sticks, onto house deck.
March 19th There has been an adult sitting in the nest every time I've checked since the 17th drama." PG

So presumably eggs laid March 17th! Give us expected hatch date of April 21. The tracker supports this presumed egg laying date as since then Habour Sun has made only short trips out from the nest area just across the bay to Seaside Place. No more trips up the mountain side since then. 9 other nests on the North Shore have laid eggs by the 17th so Harbour Sun in the middle of the pack.

All the nests in this area of West Vancouver have seen an uptick of immature eagles hanging around the nests. Do they associate nests with free food?

NSEN

Post by NSEN » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:16 am

April 18 several monitors notice the adults sitting higher in the nest which indicates chicks. They sit a bit higher so as not to crush the chicks.
April 23 Harbour Sun is very active in the nest. Looks like feeding? JW
April 24 we had a scare! “Sally I have seen all of the actions listed that indicate chick/s hatched but have not heard any peeps. Indeed, the adults themselves seemed ‘quiet’ over the last day. This morning before 6am, one parent was standing on the very edge of the nest. It then hopped up the branch, away from the nest. And then it took off. It’s been aboaut 15 min and no adult has returned to the nest. It has started to rain.” JM//
- It’s now 7:10 am and there is a parent sitting in the nest, rather high. I trust all is now well. JM (Phew! we don't want those chicks uncovered during a rain)
April 26 noon while on the phone with monitor he told me what he was seeing through his telescope and it was a feeding! So we definitely have chick/s hatched sometime between April 18 and 23 but have not seen them yet! This is why we are looking forward to a camera on the Gleneagles nest :)

Return to “Live Tracking - Comments”