Tracking TERF26/Annie

Live Tracking: General Comments; BETA04/Loki; Tracking TERF01; Tracking TERF05;

Moderator: Tracked Eagles TA's

JudyB
Admin

Tracking TERF26/Annie

Post by JudyB » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:02 pm

Welcome to Annie's Nest!

Please feel free to post your comments and observations here.

Link to TERF26's Tracking Map

BAEA22-57 - TERF26
Banding Date: July 26 2022
USFW Band #: 0829-01712 (right leg)
Banded: Blue marker X over 0 on left leg
Eye color: not recorded but appear light yellow
Sex: Female

TERF26 is a female bald eagle who has been nesting west of Lighthouse Park in West Vancouver, BC, since the fall of 2018; the pair had been nesting in Lighthouse Park for a number of years before that. She and her mate had two chicks in 2019, 2020 and 2021; one of the chicks died fairly early in 2019 and happily the other 5 fledged successfully. Observers noted that there was one chick in 2022, and sadly it died at an early age. As sometimes happens after an unsuccessful year, the pair then built a new nest nearby.

On June 25, 2022, TERF26 got into a territorial fight with another female, and both ended up on the ground with talons in each other. They were taken to OWL (the Orphaned Wildlife rehab center in Delta, BC), received stitches and antibiotics, and then spent a month or so recovering. TERF26, nicknamed Annie by the local nest monitors, was released on August 1st.

(The other female also recovered and was released around the same time, though hopefully in a different area.)

A local nest monitor who was present at the release reported:
She seemed a bit unsure at first after bursting out of the cage before flying up into a Douglas-fir. She did not fly to the nest tree or any of the other favourite perch trees. After an hour or so she was not seen. There are several people keeping an eye out for her. The mate had been in the area up until yesterday.

She also let us know that the local monitors had nicknamed the eagle Annie.

We do have a picture of her shortly after the release, with big thanks to ECeaglevideo:
TERF26-Annie.jpg
(used with permission, all rights reserved)

Here's a closer look at Annie, cropped from the high res version of the pic above so it clicks much bigger, showing the tracker in more detail and the determination in Annie's eye! This is also thanks to ECeaglevideo, used with permission, all rights reserved.
TERF26-Annie20220801_ECeaglevideo-cropped.jpeg

Thanks to the North Shore eagle nest monitors for their work over the years keeping track of the eagles in the area - and for providing the background information for this post! :thumlft:

Added February 25, 2023 -

Myles recently provided us with a few pictures of Annie while she was getting her tracker; I suspect she might not consider this the most flattering picture ever taken of her - but it certainly shows that she's a large, feisty full adult!
TERF26_20220726_105351a.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Re: Tracking TERF26/Annie

Notable Dates 2022-2023 Season:

Annie returned: tracker data shows she was on one of the Grebe Islets on October 19, and was on the mainland near her nest by the 21st or 22nd

Eggs laid: local observers think she may have laid her first egg on March 17

Eggs hatched: chick seen April 25 (may have hatched several days earlier); I don't have the date, but a second chick was seen at some point

Annie to OWL: June 18 - Annie was injured in a fight with another eagle (presumably a female hoping to take over the territory) and taken to OWL; happily she recovered quickly and was released back in her territory on June 21st

Eaglet to OWL: One of the eaglets was found on the ground on June 21st, the day Annie was released - the details are in the post referenced above.

First branched: Remaining eaglet was branching by June 29

Fledged: July 5th

Eaglets last seen:

Adults last seen:

JudyB
Admin

reserved

NSEN

Post by NSEN » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:05 am

Looking forward to seeing Annie's track

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:11 am

Welcome to the forum, NSEN! We are all hoping that Annie will check in soon so we can see where she has been! NSEN stands for the North Shore Eagle Network, and their monitors are the ones who watch Annie's nest and were involved with her rescue and release.

While we're waiting, HWF member Mike Seear is part of the team keeping tabs on the tracked eagles, and he was able to get a map of her first three days of travel (clicks much bigger):
20220803_TERF 26_MikeSeear.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:28 am

Friday, October 21, 2022

Annie has checked in!

Here's a map of her travels from August 4 through October 15, and it doesn't tell the whole story because she actually left from West Vancouver soon after her release on August 1 (details in the first post).
20221021_006.jpg

The reason we haven't heard anything from her since then is that she apparently has spent the last two months in fairly remote areas. By August 4 she was in Phillips Arm, roughly 213 kilometers from West Vancouver.

By August 8, she was near Prince Rupert, 756 km/470 miles from West Vancouver.
20221021_002.jpg

I couldn't find a town near where she spent much of her time, but it's in the general area of Stewart, BC, close to the border with Alaska, and that's 902 km/560 mi from West Vancouver.
20221021_006.jpg

Here's a quick video showing approximately where she was each day - you can see the red dot showing her location move as we click from day to day on the calendar. Because she was out of cell tower range for over two months, some data is missing; this has an overview of where she went, but we may have missed some side trips.

:vid: Annie's Summer Vacation

Her tracking map is https://hancockwildlife.org/our-project ... ge/terf26/ and you can click the calendar icon at the top to go to a certain day and then zoom in to see more about the area where she was.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:29 am

reserved

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:29 am

reserved

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:13 pm

Saturday, October 22, 2022

Annie is home!

These are screenshots I took this morning. I think the time stamp shows when and where the data was uploaded, but I'm not sure of that. The time is probably off by 3 hours because the last I knew, the map shows "local time" and I'm in Maine - so 22:09 yesterday was just after 10 pm in Maine, and 7:09 pm in BC.
20221022_002.jpg
20221022_003.jpg
20221022_004.jpg

And I've heard from a local observer that they've seen her and had a close enough look to see her bands and her tracker.

Welcome home, Annie! :love:

Added March 24, 2023 - Annie arrived on the Grebe Islets on October 19th, but I didn't realize when I wrote the initial post that they were part of her territory; now we know that she visits them frequently, likely looking for food. ~JudyB

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:50 pm

Saturday, November 12, 2022

It looks as if Annie has been spending a lot of time flying back and forth between a couple of islands and her territory in West Vancouver. Here's the same info in Map view and Satellite view:
20221112_003.jpg
20221112_002.jpg

And here's a sort of time-lapse video, made by clicking the calendar at the top of her map so we can see the dot move from day to day:

:vid: Annie Keeps Busy! (1 min)

Even though she's now in a populated area with lots of cell towers, she may not upload data every day - my understanding is that her tracker is programmed to upload data once or twice a day if she's near a cell tower at the time that was set - but if she's flying back from the island then, she may miss an upload. The trackers do store data, so we'll have a pretty good overview of where she's going to fish and perch, but it's a little tracker with a little solar battery, so some things may not get recorded.

I think Annie is the first female tagged eagle with local observers, so I'm looking forward to learning how their observations match what we're seeing on the nest. :)

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:17 pm

For followers of TERF26/Annie, here is an article about Annie that appeared in the North Shore News this week!

Annie, the North Shore's Own Backpacking Eagle!

It's nice to see the HWF tracking program get some local publicity! I hope it encourages others to follow her adventures!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:35 pm

Great article - thanks for posting the link, gemini!

Sally from the North Shore Eagle Network (NSEN) which monitors Annie's nest sent us these pictures of her on her nest, taken January 10th. They were taken with a cell phone through a scope - and you can clearly see her tracker, so we know it's Annie.
20230110_TERF26_135550.jpg
20230110_TERF26_135601.jpg
20230110_TERF26_135602a.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:56 pm

Taking a quick look at Annie's map, it appears that she's made two excursions in the last couple of months, one on November 15 and the other on December 16...
20230112_007a.jpg

...but otherwise has stayed pretty close to her nest and her primary hunting/fishing areas.
20230112_009.jpg

I admit I have a slightly quirky sense of humor - and I plan to check her map on January 17 to see if this is a pattern! :mihihi:

And more seriously, as I watch our eagles with cameras getting ready for the upcoming nesting season, I suspect that's what Annie and her mate Sam have been focused on for the last few weeks.

If you've been following Annie's travels on her map page https://hancockwildlife.org/our-project ... ge/terf26/ - or if you're lucky enough to live in the area and occasionally see her in person - we would love to have you join the forum and post here to tell the rest of us a bit more about the area. As someone who lives in Maine and knows a bit about BC (and is very aware of how much I don't know) I'm wondering if she was checking for salmon when she made her day trip to the Capilano River - or if she just wanted a day off!

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:20 pm

With thanks to Shari Whittaker, here is a photo of Annie with her chicks taken a couple of years ago.
2020-4-26 Annie lighthouse park.jpg

NSEN

Post by NSEN » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:50 pm

Hello all, its my first time posting here. My notes are from on the ground visuals.
Annie and Sam have been seen at both old and new nests so we are still unclear which one they will be using in the next few weeks. The tracker has caught Annie at the new nest a few mornings in a row but on Feb 16th at 11 am I saw both adults in the old nest. One adult was pulling at food so maybe they are using the old nest as an eating platform? They have been seen many times bringing sticks to the new nest which was built in May 2022 just after their young died last year.

It is interesting that Annie does not stray far from the nest! Its back and forth to Grebe Islets for fishing. I do not understand the two trips she made to the Capilano River and Lake. A bit of sightseeing? She has plenty of food at home so no need to go there for food. I think that she is the only adult nesting female that has a tracker on her? So maybe this is what nesting females do - stay close to home?

Interesting to note that on Dec 21st at 10 am the tracker showed Annie at her old nest in Lighthouse Park! It is sometimes hard to know where pairs move within a territory and it was from dates seen and the fact that the Juniper loop nest in LHP was abandoned that we (David Hancock and I) concluded that Annie had moved from LHP to the Byway in the fall 2018. Annie going to the old nest helped confirm this.
Sally

Return to “Live Tracking - Comments”