Tracking TERF26/Annie

Live Tracking: General Comments; BETA04/Loki; Tracking TERF01; Tracking TERF05;

Moderator: Tracked Eagles TA's

JudyB
Admin

Re: Tracking TERF26/Annie

Post by JudyB » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:18 pm

Thanks for your post, Sally! It's interesting to look at the map - but even better when we have some idea of what the eagles are doing as they go back and forth!

Here's a screenshot of the map showing where she's spending her time.
20230218_001.jpg

Since I don't know the area, and these maps don't show the scale, I looked at another map, and it appears that the island she's visiting most frequently is about half a kilometer off the shore - so not that far for an eagle to fly.

Here's the same map in satellite view, showing that there are a lot of trees for her to perch in on the coast.
20230218_002.jpg

I do wonder what she's finding of interest out on the island - maybe fish nearby? Or nesting seabirds, though it seems early for there to be nests to plunder, or seal placentas, which are also a food source for some eagles.

She is a successful eagle, so I know that she knows there's a reason to keep flying out there!

Thanks again for posting, and please do feel free to tell us a bit more about the area and help us understand what we're seeing.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:21 pm

Saturday, February 25, 2023

It looks as if Annie has been focusing on the same general area - the picture just shows the core of her territory, but I didn't see any additional long trips. I don't know when she usually lays eggs (Sally - any thoughts/comments?), but our live cam eagles at Delta 2, Surrey Reserve and White Rock have generally laid their first egg sometime between the last week in February and the middle of March, though there have been some years when it's been a bit later.
20230225_016_TERF26.jpg
NSEN wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:50 pm
I think that she is the only adult nesting female that has a tracker on her? So maybe this is what nesting females do - stay close to home?
I just realized that I didn't reply to this - sorry. I know that BACA03 is a nesting male with a tracker. I don't know for sure if there's another nesting female with a tracker, but looking at TERF17's map, I would not be surprised to learn she was nesting. She hatched in 2015 so will be 8 this spring; I need to ask David if he knows if she has a nest since she does seem to be focusing on a fairly small area during the spring when she might have eggs and chicks.

I'm jumping around a lot today, but wanted to mention that there is another way to view the maps for our tagged eagles - it's a free app for smartphones and tablets called Animal Tracker, and one of the things I like about it is that it has an option to show only the activity for the last two weeks - which I find very useful when trying to figure what an eagle with lots of tracks has been doing lately. The app is available on Google Play for Android and the App Store for iPhones and iPads; it's put out by Movebank which is an organization that tracks thousands of animals around the world, including our eagles.

Here's what Annie has been doing for the last 2 weeks (clicks much bigger).
20230225_017_TERF26.jpg

And finally, Myles Lamont, who is part of the team that does the banding and tagging of eagles for HWF, gave me access to a folder of photos that includes most of our eagles with trackers - I've added one of the photos of Annie at OWL to the opening post at the top of the page. :love:

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:31 am

On Fri, Mar 17, David Hancock received the following information from HWF North Shore Eagle Monitor Coordinator Sally McDermott:

March 17th, last evening in Lighthouse Park, OWL was called in to rescue two adult eagles who were found on the ground at the junction of the 7 sisters trail and Juniper Loop. I happened to be in the park around 6pm and chatted to the guys that found, and waited with, the birds for OWL to come. I asked if he could see tracker he said no. He showed me photos and I couldn’t 100% confirm there was a tracker because of the quality of the photos.

Apparently as OWL approached with a net the two eagles flew away, one high, one low so they weren’t injured as presumed. Today, Annie’s track on Animal Tracker shows that she was at the spot the eagles were found at 5pm! Then this morning at 9 am she is further into LHP but by 11 am back in her home area. And at 3:45pm a resident (who lives near their old nest on shore line left of red circle) emailed to say Annie and Sam were perched together in their regular perch near her house. Yay!

BTW Annie has been making forays into LHP to her pre 2018 nest in the park near to where the two eagles were found. Maybe she was trying to defend that old nest?

So was there an eagle trying to intrude again on Annie’s territory last night, this time at her old, old nest, or were Annie and Sam doing the hanky panky and fell off the branch!!

Obviously, from these observations, they have not laid eggs yet.

New nest in the red circle. Annie has been attending or inhabiting the nest quite frequently in last few weeks.
Sally

Lighthouse Park - Annie's (TERF26) nest.jpg

NSEN

Post by NSEN » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:15 pm

Here is a photo of both West and East Grebe Islets. Annie flies often to West Grebe Islet. The smaller one on the left. Behind the islets is Bowen Island and the snow capped mountains are the Tantalus range on the Mainland. Grebe Islets are about 200 meters from her nesting site.
The photo taken through my binoculars shows an adult eagle either Annie or Sam her mate on the Western Grebe Islet. They also like to perch on the light beacon.
Attachments
IMG_8878.jpeg
IMG_1877.jpeg

NSEN

Post by NSEN » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:21 pm

This first photo is of Annie's nest built in 2018 for the 2019 season. It is pretty much on the waters edge.
The second photo shows Annie's present nest built last year after their chick died. It is further inland, also in a Douglas Fir, but this one has been topped multiple times creating this great crotch for the eagles to build their nest. We think Annie laid eggs March 17th!
Attachments
IMG_8893.jpeg
IMG_8894.jpeg

NSEN

Post by NSEN » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:59 am

Annie has the Zoomies!
IMG_1565.png
Annie was picked up by the tracker at 5pm on the evening of March 21st just above Eagle Lake at 660 meter elevation! This is only the 3rd time she has done a long trip away from the nesting area since she returned last fall. And why now when she presumably has eggs? The afternoon was warm so she could have been riding the thermals up to Eagle Lake and was only away from the nest/nesting area for an hour or so?
She was picked up several times on March 21st:
9am Grebe Is.
11am Grebe Is, different spot
5pm above Eagle Lake at 660 meters elevation!
March 22:
7am back at nest and her usual routine of out to Grebe Islet in the day and home at nesting area for night.
11am Grebe Islet
5pm nest or nest area.
IMG_1566.png
TBC!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:07 pm

Thanks for the updates, NSEN - it's wonderful to see the areas that Annie calls home. Thanks for pointing out how close the island is - she probably has a good view of the area around the nest from there.

And I find it interesting that she has a regular place to "hang out" while Sam is on nest duty - and also interesting that she does sometimes go on little excursions!

NSEN

Post by NSEN » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:46 pm

Annie has a chick or chicks! Her estimated hatch date was April 21st but a chick was not seen until mid-day April 25th. This nest is tricky to see into from the ground but a monitor saw a feeding and a yellow fluffy head from her upstairs deck. We will be watching out for more chicks. Very exciting! Interestingly these last two weeks Annie has not ventured far from home. She has not even been out to Grebe Islet her hunting area so maybe dad, Sam, has been providing food for her.
Attachments
IMG_1618.png
IMG_1619.png

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:16 am

Wonderful news - thanks so much, NSEN!

The chicks in our White Rock nest hatched April 23 and April 25, so are about the same size as the chick(s) here, for those who'd like a closer look at tiny chicks - link to the White Rock cams is https://hancockwildlife.org/white-rock-cams/ and there are lots of pictures on the forum, starting here - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=647&start=2880#p666542

Looking forward to seeing any pictures you and the other monitors might get of the eaglets - though I suspect it will be at least a few more days before they stay upright long enough for anyone to get a photo!

NSEN

Post by NSEN » Mon May 22, 2023 9:30 am

Photo take with phone through scope of eaglets May 17th at 5 weeks of age. Not sure why it posts the photo sideways but when you click on it it shows right side up!
Attachments
IMG_6408.jpg
Eaglets 5 weeks old

Lynne
Topic Assistant

Post by Lynne » Mon May 22, 2023 1:41 pm

NSEN wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 9:30 am
Photo take with phone through scope of eaglets May 17th at 5 weeks of age. Not sure why it posts the photo sideways but when you click on it it shows right side up!
:Cool: Thank you for posting this! Wonderful to have on the ground observations and see Annie's eaglets on the nest :thumlft:

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon May 22, 2023 3:35 pm

They are looking great! Thanks so much for posting, NSEN.

NSEN

Post by NSEN » Thu May 25, 2023 7:20 pm

May 22nd Annie flew all the way out the Vancouver Landfill again today. At 5 am she was at the nest. At 11am at the dump. And by 5 am the next day she was back at the nest site. Of course she could have been back home by 11:30! We only know where they are at the time the back pack call in its location! The first time she flew to the Transfer Station (aka the dump) was April 1st. It looks far away but probably nothing if she hit the thermals right.
The first photo her usual flight pattern back and forth to Grebe Islets and more recently just around the neighbourhood. In fact since she has had chicks she has not been out to Grebe Islets. Sam must be doing most of the hunting up to now.
Second screen shot show both trips out to the dump although it looks like only one.
Attachments
IMG_1655.png
IMG_1656.png

NSEN

Post by NSEN » Thu May 25, 2023 7:27 pm

May 24th 7:30 a monitor went to Klootchman Park with a couple of friends to do a bird count and on the trail in he heard the chick/s. Once out on the rocks he saw Sam on the beacon on Grebe Islet and was lucky to have a close enough fly by of Annie to see her back pack! They saw 38 species of birds including Black Oyster catchers, both Caspian and Common tern, Cormorants, Pacific slope flycatcher, Warbling vireo, crow, raven, Red breasted Nuthatch, Swainson's thrush, sparrows, 4 different warbler species, Western Tanager, Black headed Grosbeak and more:)

NSEN

Post by NSEN » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:34 am

May 31st. Annie's tracker shows her at Grebe Islet at 11am. This is the first time she has been out to the islets since April 12th which was two weeks before her chicks were born. So she is starting to go further afield now that her chicks are about 6 weeks old. The chicks are still really hard to get a view of in the nest. In the afternoon I went to view them. I could hear them but only saw one of the chicks when it backed up to the edge of the nest and did a poop squirt! Annie flew onto a tree top near the nest, with a probably view into the nest. I could see her back pack.
Attachments
IMG_1659.png

Return to “Live Tracking - Comments”