Live Tracking - Recent Check-In Dates

Live Tracking: General Comments; BETA04/Loki; Tracking TERF01; Tracking TERF05;

Moderator: Tracked Eagles TA's

JudyB
Admin

Live Tracking - Recent Check-In Dates

Post by JudyB » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:08 pm

UPDATE - March 5 2024 - It's been a great month for our eagles - all 17 of the eagles we have been tracking recently checked in during the last two weeks! This month's "comeback kid" is TERF19, who had been "off the grid" since July 28 until she checked in on February 10th.

And we have two new tagged eagles to track! I don't have all the data from Myles yet, but have started pages for TERF15b and TERF17a and with a bit of luck, I'll have their web pages with maps up later today.

I've updated what I call the "vacation list" further down in this post showing the times when various eagles were out of touch for a while.

All of the tagged eagles have pages with more information under Live Tracking - Comments, and their pages have links to their maps, as well as background information.

Here's the new list -
20240305_001.jpg

It's not unusual for some of the eagles to disappear for weeks or months, which does give me hope when someone stops checking in. Here's an update to the "vacation" schedule showing when they were out of contact:
  • BETA04 Loki - June 30 - November 6 & November 8 - December 23, 2022; June 12 - October 23, 2023; October 24 - February 1, 2024
  • BETA03 - August 11 - October 25, 2023; January 1 - February 6, 2024
  • TERF06 - June 27, 2022 - January 2, 2023; July 26 - November 7, 2023; November 21 - February 5, 2024
  • TERF07 Arctic Gal - September 22, 2022 - May 5, 2023; May 22 - October 17, 2023; October 17, 2023 - January 25, 2024
  • TERF10 Parksville - July 29 - mid January 2023; June 30 - November 4, 2023
  • TERF11 Vanier - July 21 - October 26, 2022; January 11 - February 7, 2024 (off the grid again since February 23, 2024)
  • TERF12/Hastings - October 19, 2023 - January 27, 2024
  • TERF13 Pixel - August 2 - October 8, 2023
  • TERF16/TEUS03 - July 29 - October 20, 2022 (off the grid again after November 7, 2022)
  • TERF19 - June 27 - December 1, 2022; December 7 - January 21, 2023; January 22 - February 14; March 14 - April 20; July 28, 2023 - February 10, 2024
  • TERF20 - November 9 - February 8; February 9 – March 9, 2023; October 23, 2023 - January 11, 2024
  • TERF21 - May 27 - November 8, 2022; March 25 - December 22, 2023
  • TERF24 - July 12 - October 28, 2023
  • TERF26 Annie - released August 22, 2022 with first check-in October 21; August 17 - October 12, 2023
  • TERF27a Bee (Annie's eaglet) - September 1 - November 1, 2023
  • TERF31 Harbour Sun - August 19 - October 24, 2023
In the good news department, Myles has given me access to his tagging data for 2022 - and to a folder with lots of pictures from the tagging of the various eagles! I've updated the summary sheet above, and am continuing to work on the updates for each eagle, and I think almost everyone will have a picture when we're done! And they are all such handsome eagles! Added 3/5/24 - hoping to get back to this before too long.

Note: The information above will also be a new post at the end of the thread in a couple of minutes.

NOTE: I am (still) working on the new page on the website which will have links to the maps for all the eagles we've tracked in what I'm hoping will be an easier to use format, with more details about their travels - I've done BACA01-BACA03, BETA02-BETA04, and TERF01-TERF08 - and hope to have the rest of the "TERFs" added eventually. Please take a look and let me know if you have any suggestions - the link is https://hancockwildlife.org/beta-bald-e ... ll-eagles/. Thanks!

~~~ end of update~~~

I'm forever trying to remember which eagles are checking in regularly and which are "off the grid" - so I'm going to put a list of the tagged eagles with the date they last checked in, and approximately from where. Some of the eagles apparently nest (or are looking for nesting locations) in Alaska where the trackers don't always work or in Northern Canada where there aren't many cell towers - and may come back online in the fall when they seem to head South.

Clicking their name will take you to the forum page for that eagle, with more information, and a link to their map.

Those eagles who haven't checked in since 2020 are in the second post.

February 2, 2023
work in progress - I am adding a "summary of travels" to each eagle's thread here and to their page on the website; as of May 1, 2023, I've done BACA01-BACA03, BETA02-BETA04, and TERF01-TERF08. I have great intentions about the rest - but there are little chicks in the nests at Surrey Reserve and White Rock.

More information on the eagles we are currently tracking can be found here - https://hancockwildlife.org/beta-bald-e ... -alliance/

Information on all the eagles we have tracked can be found here - https://hancockwildlife.org/beta-bald-e ... ll-eagles/

JudyB
Admin

Re: Live Tracking - Recent Check-In Dates

Post by JudyB » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:34 pm

No Updates in More Than a Year

These are the eagles who have not "called home" in quite a while, or who we know have died. We'll still check their maps occasionally because tags (tracking devices) that have stopped working will occasionally come back to life, but are mostly posting this for historical purposes. They are no longer included in the big map showing all our tagged eagles, but each still has its own map. Click on their names to go to their page for more information about their travels and a link to their map.

BACA01 - tagged February 9 2018 - spent time in Washington and Oregon before heading to Alaska for the summer - his last check-in was March 28 2019.

BACA02 - tagged February 11 2018 - summered in Alaska, wintered in the Delta/Surrey area - his last check-in was January 5 2021.

BETA02 - tagged March 21 2019 - spent the summer in the southwest corner of the Yukon and the bit of BC next to it, then early fall on the Alaskan panhandle near Yakutat before heading back to Vancouver; her last check-in was January 15 2020.

TERF01 - tagged Feb 22 2018 - mostly in the greater Vancouver/Sunshine Coast area until mid-June, then north to Bella Coola; her final check-in on September 19 2018.

TERF02 - tagged December 12 2018 - spent summers on islands off the Alaskan panhandle, fall in the Nass River valley in NW BC, winters in Delta except in the winter of 2020-21; his final check-in was March 26 2022 on the edge of what appears to be his territory in Alaska.

TERF03 - tagged January 4 2019 -
winter through early summer based in Delta, late summer and fall in Alaska - her final check-in was July 5 2020, inland from Powell River.

TERF04 - tagged Feb 2018 - spring and summer in the Alaskan panhandle, then back to greater Vancouver for the winter; his final check-in was
June 26 2019 from the Alaskan panhandle.

TERF05 - tagged Feb 2018 - headed northeast through Alberta to Great Slave Lake in the southern part of the Northwest Territories; her transmitter has been statistically motionless since approximately June 12 2018 - so either she's dead or (fingers crossed) the tracker came off; someone has been to that location to look for the tracker and didn't find it, so it could be on a tree branch or maybe caught on something in the water; it stopped transmitting during the winter, but started up again in the spring from the same small area, with a final transmission on July 17 2019.

TERF09 - tagged January 15 2021 - stayed in the Delta/Surrey area until June 21, then making his way up to Bella Coola; his final check-in was June 30, 2021.

TERF14/Jpeg (sibling of TERF13/Pixel) - tagged August 4 2021 - released from OWL as a fledgling, explored greater Vancouver, then to Alaska where he explored from September 2 to November 21 then headed south; minimal data points after that; final check-in was January 2 2022 in what appears to be an agricultural area on the Elk River, south of Sayward on Vancouver Island where he had been since December 10.

TERF15/Croyden Jr (son of BACA03/Croyden Sr) - tagged August 18 2021 - tagged as a fledgling, he explored up towards Bella Coola, a bit of Vancouver Island, and part of Washington State around Puget Sound; he was near the landfill in Delta when his tracker stopped moving beyond the margin of error around July 5 2022, and we learned July 28 that he had died. (The tracker was brought back to the HWF office and continued transmitting for a while.)

TERF17 - tagged November 4 2021 - spent about 6 weeks in the Harrison Mills area after being released, then down into Washington State for a bit; she had a nest in Surrey where she stayed for the 2022 nesting season, then she went north into Alaska for the fall, returning in late October 2022 and generally staying near her territory through the winter and into the 2023 nesting season. Her tracker appeared to stop moving in early May, and a drone flight confirmed that she had died on her nest; her body was recovered on May 10, 2023.

TERF17a - tagged June 15 2023 - this one is tough to write - TERF17a was tagged as a nestling (before fledging) using the tracker recovered from TERF17, and I believe that the eaglet fledged and did some flying in the area, but sadly died in late July or maybe early August; Myles noted that a number of chicks died this year, some of starvation because some territories don't have enough food to support the population nesting there; the tracker was recovered August 3 or 4 and brought back to the HWF office in Surrey.

TERF22 - tagged May 17 2022 - had unusual pale feet and talons; after release from OWL, she stayed mostly in the Delta/Vancouver area until late July, when she headed north, arriving above Bella Coola on August 5; her final check-in was
August 18, 2022.
October 8 2023 - updates in progress - ~JudyB

TEUS03 - July 24 2019 - tagged ?Dec 2018? - posted July 24 2019 from Bowen Island, a little northwest of Vancouver (he or she had been in the White Rock/Delta/Surrey area before that, so this may have been the beginning of a flight north; the timing was right)

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:03 pm

Reserved

JudyB
Admin

Re: Report Cams Down and Forum Errors

Post by JudyB » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Reserved

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:53 pm

January 15 2020

This is exciting - 5 of our 10 tagged eagles are in or near the Vancouver/Delta area!
20200115_012.jpg

You may need to click to full size to see everyone, but here's who's who:

The pink dot is TERF02

The very hard to see gray dot in the next red circle is BETA02

The lower circle on the left contains two dots - the green one that's partly hidden is BACA02 and the yellow one is TERF03 (I'm pretty sure they're at the Vancouver Landfill in Delta, which is probably where the incoming dots are headed).

Last, but definitely not least, the red dot is BACA03 - who actually nests in that area!

January 16

Here are the same 5 eagles as above a day later, in map view rather than satellite view.
20200116_027.jpg

The pink dot representing TERF02 is further south, and some of the others have moved a bit (not everyone checks in every day, even when they're near cell towers).

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:06 pm

Moved from the opening post:

UPDATE - Oct 22 2021 - some of the information below is going to move to the individual threads for the eagles - I'm still trying to find a way to do this that makes it easy to see when an eagle last checked in; the table below is a work in progress and I haven't updated the last contact date for most of them since September (my optimistic plan is to check every few days, post updates for those with new data that hasn't been posted yet, and then update the last contact column - but I don't get to it as often as I'd like). Ignore the yellow highlight in the first column - I'm also trying to add a text summary to one of the first posts for each eagle, and those are the ones that have at least a start on that new format.
20211022_003.jpg

UPDATE - Jan 30 2022 - 14 of our tagged eagles have checked in within the last 2 days, and a 15th checked in earlier this month - exciting to see so many of them doing so well!
20220130_003.jpg

UPDATE - March 4 2022 - 12 of our tagged eagles have checked in within the last 10 days, and three more have checked in since the first of the year - exciting to see so many of them doing so well! (The list clicks bigger so it's easier to read; if the age is a year, it's the year we believe the eagle hatched.)

20220304_006.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:03 pm

Additional updates copied/moved from opening post:

UPDATE - August 18 2022 - 12 of our tagged eagles have checked in within the last month, and five of those have checked in within the last few days. This is the time of year when many of the eagles leave the coastal water areas to head up little streams or out to remote islands in search of salmon and probably other food sources, so we do expect to be seeing more of them checking in within the next month or two. I think there will also be additional eagles to add for this summer, but haven't received any data yet. (The list clicks bigger so it's easier to read; if the age is a year, it's the year we believe the eagle hatched.)

20220818_003.jpg

UPDATE - September 15 2022 - only 6 of our tagged eagles have checked in within the last month, and only three of those have checked in since the first of September. As I've mentioned before, this is the time of year when many of the eagles leave the coastal water areas to head up little streams or out to remote islands in search of salmon and probably other food sources, so it's not unusual for so many of them to be out of touch - and I'm hoping that's what's happening with most of them. I've highlighted the ones who have checked in most recently.

We have confirmed that TERF15/Croyden Jr died in July (details); his tracker was recovered and may be redeployed in the future. I have moved him and TERF09 (who hasn't checked in for over a year) to the "historical" section of the list. The list clicks bigger so it's easier to read; if the age is a year, it's the year we believe the eagle hatched.
20220915_001.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:09 pm

UPDATE - October 15 2022 - when I last checked the list of tagged eagles a month ago, only 3 were posting regularly; now there are seven, and an eighth has checked in for a few days within the last month (that was Arctic Gal/TERF07, who has a lot of wilderness between her summer home on the Beaufort Sea and her warm winter home on the Alaskan Panhandle).

Our Surrey Reserve and White Rock pairs have recently returned to their territories, and there are eagles back in the Delta area, though we have not yet seen Ma Delta or her new mate. I've heard from some observers who are seeing many eagles back in the lower mainland of British Columbia, and from a few who have only seen a few of the eagles they normally watch - so based on that very unscientific study, I believe we'll be seeing more of the tagged eagles arriving back in areas with better cell reception within the next couple of weeks.

Here's today's list - I've highlighted the ones who have checked in within the last few days in the date column, and those who have checked in within the last month are highlighted in the name column. This clicks bigger so it's easier to read.
20221015_005.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:53 pm

UPDATE - November 11 2022 - seven eagles had checked in recently when I posted the update for October 15, and now we have 12 who have checked in within the past two weeks (most within the past few days)! The five who were off the grid for a while are highlighted with turquoise.
20221112_004.jpg

As we continue to follow these eagles, we are learning that it's not unusual for them to disappear for weeks or months, which does give me hope when someone stops checking in. Here's the "summer vacation" schedule for the recent check-ins:

BETA04 Loki - June 30 - November 6
TERF11 Vanier - July 21 - October 26
TERF16/TEUS03 - July 29 - October 20
TERF21 - May 27 - November 8
TERF26 “Annie” - released August 22 with first check-in October 21

TERF07 Arctic Gal is likely still on her break - she last checked in on September 22, and last year it was December 23 before she started checking in regularly, though there were a few updates in late October and mid-November.

I'm also optimistic about TERF06, TERF10 Parksville, TERF19, and TERF22; they were checking in fairly often into the summer, and most are young enough that they don't need to rush south to protect their territory. (I think TERF19 hatched in 2019 or 2020 - am trying to get a clarification from someone better at judging the age of young eagles.)

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:44 pm

UPDATE - December 8 2022 - nine of the 12 eagles who had recently checked in on November 11 are still checking in regularly, and TERF19 checked in on December 1st after being on summer break since June 27. We're also adding a new tagged eagle - TERF27 was released from OWL with a tracker on December 2nd; I'm hoping to have his map and forum page set up in the next day or so. So that means we have 11 eagles who checked in within the last 3 days.
20221208_005.jpg

BETA04/Loki was one of the three eagles who uploaded data in early November and then went off the grid - and since this is her second year being tracked, I suspect that she's still in her out-of-cell-tower-range summer spot - or may have passed by a tower on her way to a warmer remote spot. With a bit of luck, she'll be back on the grid soon. TERF16 was out of touch from July 29 - October 20, then checking in from October 20 - November 7, then off the grid again; she'll be 8 in the spring, so I think she'll also be fine. She may be hard on trackers, though - she was originally tagged as TEUS03 in January 2019 and her tracker stopped working in July of that year, just a bit over 6 months later. The other eagle who hasn't checked in since November 9 is TERF20 who was tagged earlier this year; Myles generally does an end of the year banding/tagging report, and I'll know more about all of our 2022-tagged eagles then.

As I've mentioned before, we are learning that it's not unusual for some of the eagles to disappear for weeks or months, which does give me hope when someone stops checking in. Here's an update to the 2022 "summer vacation" schedule:

BETA04 Loki - June 30 - November 6 (off the grid again after November 7)
TERF16/TEUS03 - July 29 - October 20 (off the grid again after November 7)
TERF19 - June 27 - December 1

TERF07 Arctic Gal is likely still on her break - she last checked in on September 22, and last year it was December 23 before she started checking in regularly, though there were a few updates in late October and mid-November.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:27 pm

UPDATE - January 3 2023 - all but one of the 11 eagles who had recently checked in on December 8 are still checking in regularly; the exception is TERF19, who was off the grid from June 27 to December 1, then back through December 6, and then presumably off again. BETA04/Loki and TERF06 have both checked in recently after being off the grid for a while, which means we have 12 eagles who checked in within the last 3 days.
20230103_006.jpg

BETA04/Loki was off the grid from June 30 to November 6, checked in for a day or two, then we didn't hear from her until December 23rd when she checked in from Washington state (where she spent part of last winter) - and nothing until January 2nd, when she checked in again. I'm thinking that she was likely near cell towers more than once or twice between November 6th and January 2nd, so perhaps a combination of the shorter days with the sun lower in the sky and maybe something like a feather that partly covers the little solar panel on the tracker are keeping the tracker from being fully charged. Just a thought - and maybe we'll find out once the sun is higher in the sky.

TERF06 was off the grid from June 27 to January 2; it looks as if she was working her way north starting June 15, reaching the area around Prince of Wales Island in Alaska around July 14. There doesn't seem to be much movement recorded between then and November 5th, when she showed up at the Hood River between Washington and Oregon; it's my understanding that the trackers try to store data points for future downloads when they are not near cell towers, but there is a limit to the amount they can store. After a couple of data points that were recorded around November 5, there doesn't seem to be any data until about December 30, still in the same area near the Hood River. If she stays near cell towers and doesn't have an issue with her tracker, we may get more data uploaded in the next few days - but if she's in an area with little cell reception, we may never know where she might have visited along the way.

As I've mentioned before, we are learning that it's not unusual for some of the eagles to disappear for weeks or months, which does give me hope when someone stops checking in. Here's an update to the 2022 "summer vacation" schedule:

BETA04 Loki - June 30 - November 6 and November 8 - December 23
TERF06 - June 27 - January 2
TERF19 - June 27 - December 1 (off the grid again after December 6)

TERF07 Arctic Gal is likely still on her break - she last checked in on September 22, and last year it was December 23 before she started checking in regularly, though there were a few updates in late October and mid-November. David Hancock has said that the eagles who spend the summer up north may be slow returning because there are still salmon up there, and eagles are slow to leave this year - Arctic Gal goes further north than most, but there may still be food available even up by the Beaufort Sea.

It's been a year since TERF14/Jpeg has checked in, so I am sadly moving him to the historical section of the grid above; we do know that trackers can fail, so I'll continue to hope that he is fine. I'm also going to move TERF02. He was an adult when he was tagged in December 2018, so had been uploading data for over three years as of March 26, 2022, when he last checked in; it's very likely that his tracker finally failed. I do check the inactive eagles every time I do one of these updates, so if they do check in, we'll know.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:22 pm

UPDATE - February 2 2023 - all 12 eagles who had recently checked in on January 3rd have checked in recently. TERF10/Parksville checked in recently after being off the grid since July 28 and newly tagged eagle TERF28 began uploading data in January, which means we have 14 eagles who checked in within the last 3 days. In addition, TERF19 checked in on January 21; they had been out of touch since December 6 and haven't been in contact again since the 21st; my impression is that they are doing fine and spending time in remote areas; TERF19 was tagged in March 2022 but is about the same age as BETA03, BETA04/Loki and TERF06, so still doing a lot of exploring while looking for a place to settle down in a couple of years.
20230202_001.jpg

As I've mentioned before, we are learning that it's not unusual for some of the eagles to disappear for weeks or months, which does give me hope when someone stops checking in. Here's an update to the 2022 "summer/fall vacation" schedule:

TERF10 Parksville - July 29 - mid January
TERF19 - June 27 - December 1 and December 7 - January 21 (off the grid again after January 21)

I'm hoping that TERF07/Arctic Gal is still on her break - she last checked in on September 22, and last year it was December 23 before she started checking in regularly, though there were a few updates in late October and mid-November. She will be six years old this spring, so may have picked a place far from cell towers to nest - though I do hope she checks in again before too long.

TERF16 and TERF20 haven't checked in since November; I don't have much information yet about TERF20 but TERF16 is almost 8, so odds are that she's doing fine and I hope TERF20 is as well. We also haven't heard from TERF22 since mid-August; she was tagged in May and appeared to be a full adult in her pictures - so I'm hoping she also has a home in a remote area and headed there after her time at OWL.

NOTE: I am working on a new page on the website which will have the maps for all the eagles we've tracked in what I'm hoping will be an easier to use format, with more details about their travels - I've done BACA01-BACA03, BETA02-BETA04, and TERF01 - and hope to have the rest of the "TERFs" added as the month progresses. Please take a look and let me know if you have any suggestions - the link is https://hancockwildlife.org/beta-bald-e ... ll-eagles/. Thanks!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:10 pm

UPDATE - March 2 2023 - all 14 eagles who had recently checked in on February 2nd have checked in recently. TERF19 is checking in again after taking a mini-break from January 21 to February 14. We're also in the process of adding TERF24 to the combined map and setting up her page; she was tagged as a nestling in June 2022 but didn't get added to Movebank until later. We now have 16 eagles who checked in within the last 3 days. In addition, TERF20 checked in on February 8; he had been out of touch since November 9 and hasn't been in contact again since February 9; it seems likely that he's doing fine and spending time in remote areas.
20230304_011.jpg

As I've mentioned before, we are learning that it's not unusual for some of the eagles to disappear for weeks or months, which does give me hope when someone stops checking in. Here's an update to the 2022 "summer/fall vacation" schedule (which seems to extend into winter for some of them):

TERF10 Parksville - July 29 - mid January
TERF19 - June 27 - December 1; December 7 - January 21; January 22 - February 14
TERF20 - November 9 - February 8 (off the grid again after February 9)

I'm hoping that TERF07/Arctic Gal is still on her break - she last checked in on September 22, and last year it was December 23 before she started checking in regularly, though there were a few updates in late October and mid-November. She will be six years old this spring, so may have picked a place far from cell towers to nest - though I do hope she checks in again before too long.

TERF16 hasn't checked in since November; she is almost 8, so odds are that she's doing fine. We also haven't heard from TERF22 since mid-August; she was tagged in May and appeared to be a full adult in her pictures - so I'm hoping she also has a home in a remote area and headed there after her time at OWL. I'll also mention that I sadly added TERF23 directly to the historical section; he was tagged in April 2022, and like TERF24, wasn't immediately added to Movebank (the organization that converts the data from the trackers to maps that we can embed on the website); his tracker only transmitted for a little over a month, but we've added a page with a map for him because it is part of the story the trackers tell us. Trackers TERF29 and TERF30 were on the list last month because they were listed in Movebank so I thought they might be put into use, but that hasn't happened, so I've moved them out of sight for now.

And in the good news department, Myles has given me access to his tagging data for 2022 - and to a folder with lots of pictures from the tagging of the various eagles! That means there are a lot more fields filled in on the summary sheet above. I'm still working on the updates for each eagle, but I think everyone will have a picture when we're done! And they are all such handsome eagles!

Note: The information above will also be a new post at the end of the thread in a couple of minutes.

NOTE: I am (still) working on the new page on the website which will have the maps for all the eagles we've tracked in what I'm hoping will be an easier to use format, with more details about their travels - I've done BACA01-BACA03, BETA02-BETA04, and TERF01 - and hope to have the rest of the "TERFs" added as the month progresses. Please take a look and let me know if you have any suggestions - the link is https://hancockwildlife.org/beta-bald-e ... ll-eagles/. Thanks!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:13 pm

UPDATE - March 31 2023 - 15 of the 16 eagles who had recently checked in on March 2nd have checked in within the last week. TERF19 last checked in on March 14 – and she is in the habit of taking lots of "mini-breaks" I'm not too concerned. TERF20 had been off the grid since February 8th until he checked in on March 9, and we've been getting regular data since then, so we now have 16 eagles who checked in within the last week.
20230331_022a.jpg

As I've mentioned before, we are learning that it's not unusual for some of the eagles to disappear for weeks or months, which does give me hope when someone stops checking in. Here's an update to the 2022-2023 "vacation" schedule showing when they were out of contact:
  • BETA04 Loki - June 30 - November 6 and November 8 - December 23
  • TERF06 - June 27 - January 2
  • TERF10 Parksville - July 29 - mid January
  • TERF11 Vanier - July 21 - October 26
  • TERF16/TEUS03 - July 29 - October 20 (off the grid again after November 7)
  • TERF19 - June 27 - December 1; December 7 - January 21; January 22 - February 14 (off the grid after March14)
  • TERF20 - November 9 - February 8; February 9 – March 9
  • TERF21 - May 27 - November 8
  • TERF26 “Annie” - released August 22 with first check-in October 21

TERF16 hasn't checked in since November; she is almost 8, so odds are that she's doing fine. We also haven't heard from TERF22 since mid-August; she was tagged in May and appeared to be a full adult in her pictures - so I'm hoping she also has a home in a remote area and headed there after her time at OWL. I'll also mention that I sadly added TERF23 directly to the historical section; he was tagged in April 2022, and like TERF24, wasn't immediately added to Movebank (the organization that converts the data from the trackers to maps that we can embed on the website); his tracker only transmitted for a little over a month, but we've added a page with a map for him because it is part of the story the trackers tell us.

In the good news department, Myles has given me access to his tagging data for 2022 - and to a folder with lots of pictures from the tagging of the various eagles! I've updated the summary sheet above, and continue to work on the updates for each eagle, but I think everyone will have a picture when we're done! And they are all such handsome eagles!

NOTE: I am (still) working on the new page on the website which will have links to the maps for all the eagles we've tracked in what I'm hoping will be an easier to use format, with more details about their travels - I've done BACA01-BACA03, BETA02-BETA04, and TERF01-TERF08 - and hope to have the rest of the "TERFs" added as the month progresses. Please take a look and let me know if you have any suggestions - the link is https://hancockwildlife.org/beta-bald-e ... ll-eagles/. Thanks!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed May 03, 2023 3:39 pm

UPDATE - May 3 2023 - We again have 16 tagged eagles who checked in within the last couple of days. There are a two changes from last month - TERF19 hadn't checked in since March 14 and didn't "call home" until April 20 but is checking in regularly now, and TERF21 hasn't checked in since March 25. If you check the list below, TERF21 was out of touch from May 27 - November 8, 2022, possibly exploring the more remote parts of the Alaskan Panhandle, so it's possible that TERF21 headed back to that area earlier this year.

20230503_006.jpg

It's not unusual for some of the eagles to disappear for weeks or months, which does give me hope when someone stops checking in. Here's an update to the 2022-2023 "vacation" schedule showing when they were out of contact:
  • BETA04 Loki - June 30 - November 6 and November 8 - December 23
  • TERF06 - June 27 - January 2
  • TERF10 Parksville - July 29 - mid January
  • TERF11 Vanier - July 21 - October 26
  • TERF16/TEUS03 - July 29 - October 20 (off the grid again after November 7)
  • TERF19 - June 27 - December 1; December 7 - January 21; January 22 - February 14; March 14 - April 20
  • TERF20 - November 9 - February 8; February 9 – March 9
  • TERF21 - May 27 - November 8; (off the grid after March 14)
  • TERF26 “Annie” - released August 22 with first check-in October 21

TERF16 hasn't checked in since November; she is almost 8, so odds are that she's doing fine. We also haven't heard from TERF22 since mid-August; she was tagged in May and appeared to be a full adult in her pictures - so I'm hoping she also has a home in a remote area and headed there after her time at OWL.

In the good news department, Myles has given me access to his tagging data for 2022 - and to a folder with lots of pictures from the tagging of the various eagles! I've updated the summary sheet above, and am continuing to work on the updates for each eagle, and I think almost everyone will have a picture when we're done! And they are all such handsome eagles!

NOTE: I am (still) working on the new page on the website which will have links to the maps for all the eagles we've tracked in what I'm hoping will be an easier to use format, with more details about their travels - I've done BACA01-BACA03, BETA02-BETA04, and TERF01-TERF08 - and hope to have the rest of the "TERFs" added as the month progresses. Please take a look and let me know if you have any suggestions - the link is https://hancockwildlife.org/beta-bald-e ... ll-eagles/. Thanks!

Return to “Live Tracking - Comments”